• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Root i hated the ally so much i smashed it

Status
Not open for further replies.

myfishbear

Android Enthusiast
Sep 5, 2010
NJ
i got tired of flashing it million times, and its more than normal rate of dropped calls. it is in pieces in my garbage now.... I won the fight. now here is the real question. what phone should i buy.... i know the droid 1 rocks and so does the dinc... anyone got any suggestions?

i got tired of flashing it million times, and its more than normal rate of dropped calls. it is in pieces in my garbage now.... I won the fight. now here is the real question. what phone should i buy.... i know the droid 1 rocks and so does the dinc... anyone got any suggestions?

thats funny, my wife wants to do the same thing to her ally. IMO it is the worst android phone out there, it actually gives android a bad name. if the ally was my first android phone I probably would switch back to winmo. I would suggest the dinc, thats what I have had from launch day and this thing is still surprising me. no only is it incredible "pun intended" we have an almost fully working gingerbread ROM. the only thing that doesn't work is GPS and video recording, the camera works though, and it is very fast and smooth.

Upvote 0
I've had mine for 6 months now and it has worked flawlessly. It's great for what it is. Seriously, what are you expecting out of a free phone? This kind of reminds me of people that buy a $299 laptop and can't understand why it won't play (insert latest video game here) at ultra high settings.

Exactly what I was thinking

Reactions: Cyberzerous
Upvote 0
Had my Ally since June. Every once inawhile I think I need a better phone so I go to a Verizon store and play around with the other Android phones. It's then that I realize that my Ally is as good a phone as I need, especially after rooting and installing a new ROM. It does everything I need it to do and it works flawlessly. I have never once had a force close, random reboot or freeze up since I got it. Mine never lags or drops a call. It really has been a perfect phone and best of all, it was free after all my discounts and rebates.

Upvote 0
I've been frustrated with my Ally occasionally. It can't play some of the more demanding games, even overclocked, in my experience. Sometimes I want one of the HTC phones or whatever. But for the most part, I bought this because I loved my env2 and the Dare was nice as well, but I wanted a physical keyboard again. And as others have said, for the cost, it's great. And I honestly think there's some truth to the idea that this phone hasn't got much support in terms of updates and whatnot because they didn't want it taking away from Droid sales any more than it already has with its better keyboard (in most peoples' opinion) and more affordable price. It never had the designation of a true "Droid" series phone and has received much less attention. They had a huge marketing campaign where we were bombarded with the Iron Man 2 commercials on TV prior to release, but then release got delayed a week, and after it came out, the hype fizzled away almost overnight. It's kind of the underdog of the lineup, but competes very well for what it is. Aside from maybe wanting to play some of the better 3D games without lag, the phone does everything I need. I'd say I'm even fairly close to that dividing line of being someone who really doesn't even need a smart phone. I don't think I take advantage of the features and the apps nearly as much as most other users. I could probably still function fairly well with an enV2 lol. So I don't think the Ally deserves the hate, but to each their own.

Upvote 0
I like mine. I wouldn't even say it is the worst LG android phone... compared to my coworkers optimus or whatever it is called, the ally is great. Even after using a droid 1, I like the ally better for the keyboard and overall feel. I think people have unrealistic expectations for a very low level android phone (I mean, its free with a contract now I believe).

I also think this thread is more about stirring poo than getting a recomendation on a phone.

Upvote 0
i like mine. I wouldn't even say it is the worst lg android phone... Compared to my coworkers optimus or whatever it is called, the ally is great. Even after using a droid 1, i like the ally better for the keyboard and overall feel. I think people have unrealistic expectations for a very low level android phone (i mean, its free with a contract now i believe).

I also think this thread is more about stirring poo than getting a recomendation on a phone.

lolz

Upvote 0
even tho the dinc is better i think ill go with the droid 1 (gf gets a upgrade in 2 months and she will give me hers)... bty i did pay for the phone on its release day so it wasn't free for me... the sales rep loaded me with the ally telling me it was better than the droid 1 not a low end phone.... well i believed the rep and paid for the crapbox. i must of flashed that thing like 100 times with all sorts of stuff and could never be satisfied with its performance (including all the stuff not on this site). it would say it had good service but id miss like half of my calls and people thought i was ignoring them. so i smashed it because it cost me a job. now i reactivated my good ol lg dare and im ok untill i can find something i actually will like, not something id tolerate. i spent alot of money on a data package and couldn't even get flash so i could do my banking ect.(bty skyfire's flash is bs). the flashlight only turns on for 30 secs so it is pointless when im working and need a light. i feel like the phone failed to make the grade and was pushed anyway... hense the late release. 600mhz without dedicated video doesn't cut it for android. the droid one on the other hand i flashed 3 times and each time i loved even more. it has flash, no lag for angry birds seasons, its older than the ally. i was thinkin bout getting a droid x which has a screen thats big enough for my hands but its too big for my pocket so idk. at least the droid 1 has a keyboard.

bty sry if i offended anyone, i just really don't like the phone(i did like the keyboard tho)... i really wanted to know if any good new phones are out there that have unlocked boot loaders... that's it. not tryin to stir the poo.
bty chill out netizenmt i broke my phone not yours lol... fourms are for question and i just wanted a real opinion not vzw bs.
anyway the dare i reactivated has so much better reception and i now pay $19 a month instead of $58, i dont care bout the data in the meantime cuz my hands are too big for me to successfully use the web browser correctly anyway.

Upvote 0
Wow i just don't know what to add, I've had my ally for 6 month and love it, it did the reboot thing, i had update v9 and fixed that, i f###ed up a theme and got a replacement phone (lol see my post) and still flash and root and overclock and well you know its like legos for grownups
yeppers but i need my phone for work as well so it didn't make the grade for me personally. if it was like a hand held game console id be ok with it but its my phone that gives me the worst trouble. for a while all my calls were being sent to someones voice mail box and when id make a call to check my voicemail it would always call that guy and he would be like stop calling me. i think that was a vzw prob but still i had the worst time with that phone.

Upvote 0
I think everyone around here has a pretty good point on both sides of the coin. The ally is my first android phone(so in that sense I don't have the experience with the other ones) and its certainly not my last. I have had my share of fights with it, and I did win them all. After all a computer is only as smart as the operator using it. (Now that's stirring the poo) but what kinda set me off here is the fact that you said you paid full price for the ally, flashed all kinds of stuff, then broke it and threw it away. I'm sorry but thats trully acting imature. There are people out there struggling to make a buck and here you are littarly throwing it away. Your not looking for an opinion your looking for an attitude booster. Sorry to offend (which I'm sure it will) but this section of the forum is called "all things root" cause we want to know the latest tips and tricks to make "our" phones do new things, not to debate if its a good phone or not.

Upvote 0
My opinion, not "vzw bs". I don't work for them.

Most of the issues you had were addressable, but it doesn't sound like you made much of an effort. The voicemail box issue could have been resolved with a call to Verizon Customer Support. There are plenty of flashlight apps out there. And I do my banking via my phone, no flash required, so that sounds just a bit odd to me.

Like you said, you broke your phone, not mine. Makes no real difference to me, except as I said, that others could have benefited from it had you given that a thought.

I don't think it will matter much what phone you get next - it will be sure to disappoint you at some level, and probably end up broken and in the trash too.

Yep - Anger Management issues. Good luck.

Upvote 0
I've had my Ally for about 3 months now. It is my first smartphone. I also got my wife a Droid2 a couple weeks before. I travel all over the country weekly & rarely have and call or 3G issues for that matter. I love my Ally. Sure it's a puny Android model, but because of this forum I have learned from several members along with trial and error just how awesome this phone can be. This forum has it's A game on unlike the Droid2 forum. I had to look, the wife is gonna let me play with her phone once I'm comfortable on mine. Can't wait to see what it can do. IMO the Ally, with help, can be made to match the D2 out of the box. I vote for the Anger Management:D

Upvote 0
Seriously, you came to an ally forum to say that you broke yours, then ask us for suggestions on other phones? Take it back to the main forums, you'll get better help ther. Damn trolls.

it didn't seem like he was trolling to me, he stated that he hated his phone so much that he smashed it ( his phone he can do whatever the hell he wants with it) and now wants advice on what other android phone to get. if that is how you took it then that is your own problem. my wifes ally is a POS, she has had constant reboots, at least 5-8 times a day and almost every time she turned it on she was greeted with a slew of apps that F/C on her. I flashed every ROM and kernel under the sun they have for it but none worked any better than the next. until I put Punisher's ROM on it and she hasn't had one F/C as of yet and it only rebooted once so far. with this ROM and A2SD she can actually play Pocket God on it just fine, and I was shocked! I don't know what he did but he did a hell of a job. this thing was so bad that she would practically be in tears because of it. maybe she just got a bad phone or something, I know not every phone will work the same but for the price of it I expect something that actually works like it should. I shouldn't have to root it to get it to work "good enough" I have the Dinc and I didn't have to root it to make it work like it was supposed to and it was only 50.00 more with a new every two. I do have it rooted because I like playing around with android and doing whatever I want to my phone. everyones experience with this phone is different and just because the majority of people do not have a problem with their ally does not mean that there aren't some bad ones out there. this is just my experience and opinion of the phone, yours may differ and if you don't like my opinion that is your problem.

I am not just replying to lightningdude;2047016, this goes to everyone who thinks he shouldn't have smashed it, the real pot stirrers.

Upvote 0
Status
Not open for further replies.

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones