• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Help I have 2.3.3.. Phone's perfect. Is it worth updating to new firmware?

I've never quite understood the obsession to have the most up to date firmware on a phone at any cost. Also I've read here and on other S2 forums that 2.3.5 has caused real problems for some owners. Just because there are updates out there doesn't mean you have to update.

If it aint broke don't fix it. ;)

Upvote 0
I have posted previously that i think the phone is a fantastic piece of kit and i am amazed when i read of some folk having this mad race to constantly update it. I have went from 2.3.3 to 2.3.5 and have noticed very few differences. I love the new swype and probably for that reason alone i would suggest an official update when you can. Battery life to me is not a problem, when i look at what the phone can do i would expect to have to charge it daily, otherwise what is the point of a massive screen, GPS, constant on data etc. What i will hold off doing is any kind of unofficial update as i value my warranty more than an extra hour or two battery life.

Upvote 0
I have 2.3.6 and checked for update this morning. The screen took a while and finally said that I have an update available but the network is busy and that it will try again later. Dummy me gave it 5 minutes and searched for update again. This time it quickly said that no update found and I could check again in 24 hours.

Is there a way to kill the 24 hour setting?

Also does anyone know when and if we are getting ICS?

Thanks.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones