• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

I have a few invites to Aviate if anyone is interested.

I think I could like this. Will see after a few days if want to keep it or not.

I'm going to keep using it for a week, I think something like this needs time to see if it's right for me. As much as I hate to see a startup like this get bought by a big corporation, I'm hoping this will give them the resources they need to make additions to the launcher. I'd like to see a little more flexibility in the 'set up' of the widgets, but I'm willing to give it some more time. For me, it's a clean look that I kinda like.

Upvote 0
I had been using it for a few days, but have now removed it. I don't have a regular "morning routine" or whatever and so don't need to see different apps presented to me at various parts of the day. And most of the predefined categories didn't fit in with what I wanted. No provision to define your own custom ones. Normally I have groups of apps on the various pages of Google Home launcher or Touchwiz.

Another more serious issue though, is that it seemed to be constantly running the GPS, resulting in excessive battery drain. Could always see the GPS was active in notifications, and usually it was flashing because of being indoors most of the time, i.e. GPS doesn't normally work indoors. So had to turn it of, but when an app actually needed to use it, e.g. Maps, had to manually turn it back on again. Would Aviate always be needing to use GPS to determine precise location all the time? - surely WiFi or cellular location is enough for it?

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones