• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

i have a question about charge pass through

willsp28

Aug 18, 2019
so i have a android 11 smartphone that's upgraded to Android 12. and i got a usb hub that allows charging and USB devices to work at the same time. but i have 1 issue with it. i have a smart plug attached to the usb hub, so i can leave it plugged in 24 7 and it won't be overcharging the phone, because i have a schedule set. but once it's turned off the usb hub has to be unplugged and then plugged back in, in order for it to start charging again. and i wanted everything to be automatic so i don't have to touch anything, no messing with the plugs or anything like that. and so i always forget to reattach the plug, so everytime i get ready to record reaction videos, i have to charge it from 0, it's also another annoyance because i use floating apps, and after a restart i have to re float all of the apps i use, and it's quite a few.

The charge from a computer or laptop USB is not the same as a charge from a charger plugged into the wall.

The voltage matches ok, but the current is much less.

Your device is basically on a trickle charge when it is plugged in to a computer USB.

There is no reason to monitor such a thing, as it will barely provide enough power to run the devixe while it is charging.

That is why, if you check in settings > battery while it is plugged in you will see that the type of charge matches what it is plugged into- AC for a wall charger, and USB for a computer.

To be honest, both the device and the battery itself have implements to prevent overcharging and other detriments.

Batteries are designed to last 2-4 years, and decay with age even if never used.

Basically there is no need to obsess over the charging of these things.

Upvote 0
yea well, you can't leave a phone plugged in 24 7 without ever taking it off charge, it will eventually ruin the battery. Also the hub delivers plenty of power to charge it to 100 percent and keep it there. even if it didn't, batteries need time spent off of the charger.

Upvote 0
yea well, you can't leave a phone plugged in 24 7 without ever taking it off charge, it will eventually ruin the battery. Also the hub delivers plenty of power to charge it to 100 percent and keep it there. even if it didn't, batteries need time spent off of the charger.
I never said 24/7.....lol but I do leave it on the charger overnight. Never had any issues.... of course I usually end up keeping a phone for no longer than 3 years.

Upvote 0
so i have a android 11 smartphone that's upgraded to Android 12. and i got a usb hub that allows charging and USB devices to work at the same time. but i have 1 issue with it. i have a smart plug attached to the usb hub, so i can leave it plugged in 24 7 and it won't be overcharging the phone, because i have a schedule set. but once it's turned off the usb hub has to be unplugged and then plugged back in, in order for it to start charging again. and i wanted everything to be automatic so i don't have to touch anything, no messing with the plugs or anything like that. and so i always forget to reattach the plug, so everytime i get ready to record reaction videos, i have to charge it from 0, it's also another annoyance because i use floating apps, and after a restart i have to re float all of the apps i use, and it's quite a few.

FYI Android 12 did introduce charging limits. Check in your phone's settings. My Samsung with Android 12, I can set it to 85%. Can leave it on the charger and it will never charge more than that. At 85% that will not overcharge the battery.

Last edited:
Reactions: ocnbrze
Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones