1. Download our Official Android App: Forums for Android!

i have a question about the ding tone application

Discussion in 'Android Apps & Games' started by cmh, Jan 27, 2014.

1. cmh

cmh Newbie
    None

Jan 24, 2014
    when using the ding tone app can u dial a number just like on a regular phone :thinking: though ding tone for free and can u call people for free even if its an international call when we both have the ding tone application?? on your mobile or tablet?

Advertisement

2. Rukbat

Rukbat Android Expert
    None

Jan 16, 2012
    Male
    Being retired and writing Tasker tasks.
    Fayetteville, NC, USA
    I've read only 1 review that didn't sound like it was a press piece sent out by the company, and that review mentioned that dingtone gets full access to your contact list. You could get rich with the contact lists of a few thousand cellphones. (International calls are "cheap", not free. International calls are pretty cheap any way you make them these days - no more $20/minute calls.)

cmh likes this.
  3. cmh

cmh Newbie
    None

Jan 24, 2014
    what do you mean they have access to your contact list?!?! rukbat that's personal info they cant just access that!! anyway mine is on an i pad i have no contact list when i get back on my mobile i will have an address book and also the person i told to install it has a mobile phone is it true!!!?! should he worry!?!? should i worry??!!?when i get my mobile back?!?! RUKBAT PLEASE TELL ME GETTING SCARED HERE!!! and i also asked can u just dial a number like on a regular phone though the ding tone app???

4. Slug

Slug Check six!
    None

Aug 1, 2009
    Male
    Mobile phone retail
    Inverness, UK
    It needs access to your Contacts to be able to make calls, send messages etc. Viber is no different, nor is Whatsapp, Skype or any other similar app.

The Play Store description states that free calls are only available to other Dingtone users, so I assume that calls to other users will work but will cost.

5. Bstressfree

Bstressfree Member
    None

May 21, 2013
    Male
    I just discovered Dingtone a few days ago while researching how to replace my carrier and go strictly broadband with Freedompop. I have no problem with the app copying my contacts list into itself. I won't let it have access to my Facebook contacts tho. I like the fact that they will give you one or more (?) new phone #'s so you don't actually NEED a carrier.
    As I read it all calls and texts to another Dingtone user ANYWHERE are free. I can make or receive calls to or receive calls from any US number for basically a penny (credit) per minute. I think texts are like .5 credits each. I bought 600 credits to start but have earned around 500 free credits in just the 4 days that I've had the app.
    So far very pleased with the app. Call quality is perfect over home wifi and acceptable over my nearly nonexistent 3g signal at home. Looking forward to testing it out on the road. I'm a truck driver so I'm sure I'll get a good test of reliability on it.
    I'm with VM now on the 300 minute plan. Think I've run out of minutes once in 3-4 years. Not a Yacker. But since getting my tablet and tethering to my phone I've been throttled almost every month. Gettin sick of it which is why I'm checking this out.
    By the way, Dingtone works fine on my tablet too.

6. chanchan05

chanchan05 The Doctor

Jun 30, 2011
    Male
    I never understand people who go paranoid when apps access their contact lists, but expect the app to be able to send messages to their contacts.

7. Bstressfree

Bstressfree Member
    None

May 21, 2013
    Male
    Exactly!:rolleyes:

8. B_S

B_S Lurker
    None

Mar 3, 2017
    Trying to get info to see if i should use it.So you get charged using this unless someone has it too. Do u get charged when you are at home or all the time. Do the charges come on your Internet bill if you are using from home