• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

I have alot of questions and problems!!

jenniboo

Lurker
Jan 30, 2019
So... I have a few questions... I'm hoping someone can help me out... I think my ex has hacked my phone using the Google messaging cloud,cast, and firebase app indexing. I have terminal emulator and now I'm seeing rootfs on.. I'm not sure if it stays on or what.. but I have went thru 7 phones. He can track me listen to my phone calls read text messages and everything... It's like he has my phone booted from his phone. Also now I am suppose to connect to TMobile network but now I'm connecting to a home network? If anyone can help me I will PayPal you money!!!! I can send screen shots if needed.

First thing to do is check the recovery email under your gmail account. It could very well be that he has the ability to reset your password, too. And, if his email (or one that he has access to) is listed, then he'll get notified every time you make a change.

Make sure that the recovery email/phone is one only you can see, then turn on two-step verification for your account. NOW change your password to something he'll have a hard time guessing ('myexisajerk' is probably not a good idea ;) )

Finally, back up your phone including text and email messages, then remove ALL accounts from it and perform a factory reset. Now login using your Google credentials with the new password. Make sure you don't skip the step to delete your accounts from the phone or you could lock yourself out of your own phone.

Upvote 0
Unless your ex works for the NSA or similar organization, it's very unlikely that he has been able to hack into seven different phones. Despite the media fluff giving the impression that Android phones are a security mess, here in the real world it's just not that easy to take over someone's phone remotely. The problem you need to address is regaining control and locking down your online accounts. Stop assuming it's your phones that are the problem, you need to instead focus on your social media presence. Since he apparently has your passwords for one or more of your online accounts, it doesn't matter how many phones you go through, he still has access to your online accounts -- if you were to get another new phone, as soon as you it up, it's not the phone that he's 'hacking' into but whichever accounts he has access with that's the problem.

-- This is going to be a major hassle but you do need to get control of you online accounts again. Turn off your current phone for now, and on a computer log into your various online accounts and change your passwords. For any online services you have set up that links to other online services (i.e. Facebook auto-logins), give some very serious thought on disabling them. Pay special attention to your Google account. Go here:
https://accounts.google.com
and log into your account. Carefully go through the 'Review your privacy settings', 'Security issues found', and 'Make Google yours'. Be sure to delete any devices that you don't own, check any logins you're not aware you've done yourself, and disable/enable just the services you want. You don't want to kill off services you need and use, but you do want to reduce your 'attack exposure'.
A more problematic issue is tied to your phone number. While you can change the password to your online account with your carrier, your ex probably still knows your phone number so that itself is another issue to make more secure.
https://techcrunch.com/2018/12/25/cybersecurity-101-guide-protect-phone-number/
-- Now turn your phone back on. Because you've changed all the passwords to your online accounts, it's going to prompt you to re-enter your passwords. Your Google account will be one of the first things you need to re-enter since that's what your phone itself authenticates with. For different apps like Facebook, Instagram, etc. you'll need to put in your new passwords as those apps get started up.

Take a lot of screen captures and document what you're doing to regain control of your online presence, the more documentation you collect might be helpful if you have to resort to any kind of legal actions against your ex. If he still has all your contact info and anything like Social Security and passport I.D. info, contacting a lawyer might be something you have to do.

Upvote 0
I do not have a Google account attached to my phone....

Attachments

• Screenshot_20190201-232228~2.png
    Screenshot_20190201-232228~2.png
    194.3 KB · Views: 197
Upvote 0
All that tells me is that Instagram is trying to phone home. That doesn't prove that your ex is behind that, because that's what these social media apps do anyway.

In your first post you talk about "seeing rootfs", but rootfs is a normal part of the linux system (Android is based on linux), so that's absolutely normal and something you should not worry about at all.

I'm not doubting your problem at all, just saying that you shouldn't take everything that you don't understand as evidence of hacking, since this is just adding to confusion (yours as well as others). Stick to the evidence, what he knows and how you know he knows it, as that will give more indication of what's going on.

Reactions: svim and lunatic59
Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones