1. Are you ready for the Galaxy S20? Here is everything we know so far!

i have an update available... hmm..

Discussion in 'Android Devices' started by _sC, Aug 9, 2012.

1. _sC

_sC Well-Known Member

hey guys. well, as i have mentioned in the title, it seems my phone has an update available.
    it seems to have already downloaded the file since there is only and "install" or "later" to choose from.

the file is
    85 mb, i can only assume it is 4.0.4?? can anyone confirm?

also, should i factory reset before installing? i know that the gingerbread to ics was a big one so it needed it, but quite frankly, i dont trust these updates anymore. i hate seeing little problems here and there after updating, and would like to prevent that as much as possible, therefore am thinking i might as well reset before the update even if its a small update like this one.

thoughts and comments are welcome.. thanks for reading

1. Download the Forums for Android™ app!

Download

2. _sC

_sC Well-Known Member

nobody??? okay thanks anyways... from what i've seen the 4.0.4 update renders a bunch of things useless, so im probably gonna stay away from it anyways.

peace

3. jaliy

jaliy Android Expert

DO NOT UPGRADE TO 4.0.4
    it has many bugs and glitches and worst of all, it no longer works with kies

_sC likes this.
  4. _sC

_sC Well-Known Member

lol... thats what i thought. thanks so much for your input.
    its amazing how backwards they go with these new updates.. ridiculous

5. jaliy

jaliy Android Expert

the funny thing is, i try to stay legit by not rooting my phone so i don't void my warranty. now it's gonna hurt me cause there's no way to rollback the firmware without rooting. i want to go back to 4.0.3

6. _sC

_sC Well-Known Member

i know.. what a shitstorm...

can i ask u, did u factory reset before u did this update or just updated it?

7. madkinggeorge

madkinggeorge Newbie

Hi

I had problems when i up graded, KIES not working e-mail problems etc.
    However i did a factory reset and all seems fine (Touch Wood)
    It is a pain having to set up phone again, will have to find a better way of backing up.
    Hope this helps.

8. Shotgun84

Shotgun84 Extreme Android User

You can download your official stock downgraded firmware from samfirmware and flash with Odin.

9. Shotgun84

Shotgun84 Extreme Android User

In all honesty the majority of people have found the 4.0.4 firmware to be more stable than 4.0.3

10. ironass

ironass Extreme Android User

Unfortunately, jaliy seems to think that his experience applies to every update to Android 4.0.4... which is definitely NOT the case.

In answer to the OP's original question, the Android 4.0.4 update is well worth having and I would suggest doing a Factory Reset before updating. That way you will know immediately if your update was corrupted or not. This can happen on OTA updates and occasionally via Kies. It also means that you start with a clean slate and no detritus from a previous firmware.

We have already seen with the update from Gingerbread to ICS that a lot of posters were blaming ICS when in fact it is their own app's and settings causing the problem.

As I mention at the end of this post, here...

11. jaliy

jaliy Android Expert

i'm not rooted and i never will

12. ironass

Flashing stock Samsung firmware via Odin is not rooting and does not affect your warranty... if you have one. ;)

13. jaliy

jaliy Android Expert

I thought odin requires rooting to work

14. ironass

No... you can use Odin PC Suite to root a phone but you do not have to be rooted to use it, for instance you can use it to flash the stock Samsung firmware for your CSC code without being rooted or voiding your warranty. A lot of people use Odin instead of Kies.

15. dunjamon

dunjamon Android Enthusiast

I've just updated...not a lot of changes. Kies Air updated too so hopefully it will work. I've not really noticed a lot of changes. Was hoping the battery percentage would be cool...but it just looks out of place.

16. CodeDeveloper

CodeDeveloper Newbie

Just to add, I updated my- and my wife's S2 to 4.0.4 via Odin a week ago. (All UK stock firmware, not rooted). Did a factory reset before and after the upgrade just to be sure.

So far, much better than 4.0.3. Much more stable with no lock-ups yet. Battery life is considerably better too - around 60+ hours standby, whereas 4.0.3 didn't even manage half of that.

Very happy with 4.0.4 but still looking forward to Jellybean! :)

17. craigrac

craigrac Lurker

mine updated to 4.0.4 uk through kies and it was fine to start with.
    next day got random total phone network loss for about 30secs to a min.
    tried reset but still same so i rolled back to 4.0.3 via odin. no network loss at all now. 4.0.4 was a bit quicker and smoother though.

18. jaliy

jaliy Android Expert

For me 4.0.4 is worse than previous why do ppl think it's better?

19. Slug

Slug Check six!
    VIP Member

The key words above are "for me". Many other people find 4.0.4 better for them.

Samsung Galaxy S2 Forum

The Samsung Galaxy S2 release date was April 2011. Features and Specs include a 4.3" inch screen, 8MP camera, 1GB RAM, Exynos 4210 Dual processor, and 1650mAh battery.

April 2011
Release Date
Reviews