1. Download our Official Android App: Forums for Android!

Support I have bars but it won't connect to anything?

Discussion in 'Android Devices' started by Xemnous, Jun 15, 2011.

1. Xemnous

Xemnous Lurker
    None

Jun 8, 2011
    For the past few days this has been happening, I have connection bars (4G 80% of the time) but when I go on the web,YouTube, etc. Anything involving needing connection it won't connect. It's exactly like logging into a wifi connection that doesn't let you connect to anything. This is on and off, sometimes I'll be able to browse the web, go on YouTube like I'm supposed to, then I'll go back to my phone and when I try to browse the web or load anything that requires connection I get the "error can't connect" popup. Why is my connection going on and off even though it shows that I have bars? The only thing my phone let's me do when it isn't connecting to anything and requires connection is texting.

Advertisement

2. bleetness

bleetness Well-Known Member
    None

Aug 11, 2010
    I'm having this issue too, mainly with youtube

3. indulge

indulge Member
    None

Mar 10, 2011
    Help Desk Tech
    Pontiac Mi
    I am having this issue all the time now, it says 4g i have full bars and the arrow pointing up is green, in order to get service again i have to restart the phone, which is a pain cause this happens allot.

4. markolo25

markolo25 Well-Known Member
    None

May 17, 2011
    i think some of their towers are broken, because the same thing happnes to me too, but when i drive to another spot it becomes ok again.

5. bleetness

bleetness Well-Known Member
    None

Aug 11, 2010
    To me it doesn't matter, youtube doesn't work at all on 4g

6. smotpoker

smotpoker Newbie
    None

Mar 9, 2011
    Mine happens the same. It is "uploading" something I am assuming with the green up arrow on constantly. At that point, nothing works well. I see the refresh come occasionally on.

I can't connect to anything. I try turning on my wifi and it can't do that either until it errors out and then I can try turning it on again.

Any ideas? Sometimes either having to wait after clearing ram like 5 mins,or going to airplane mode - which doesn't always work immediately or turning it off and on which seems to work.
    Its a pain...

But I wonder why is it trying upload something and does anyone know a way to tell what is being uploaded and or where is it getting uploaded too. Again, prolly more my conspiracy or virus mentality.

Thanks.

7. chiko305

chiko305 Guest
    None

Jun 1, 2011
    where you guys able to fix it? if you did how?? thanks!

nevermind guys I just fix it. I used Odin to restore it to stock because I was rooted plus using exodus rom .5 the 4G was working perfect even after the rom but for some reason 2 days ago it started to just show the green arrow. ok after Odin it didn't work so I factory reset holding power and r button at the same time so it would go to recovery mode I selected factory reset. then it turn on and work perfect. :)

8. tiede

tiede Android Expert
    None

Mar 3, 2011
    Male
    curious, aren't we?
    Orlando, Fl
    Metro's towers are not so great, and you may lose connection to them randomly. The best thing to do in those cases is use the lte functionality test hidden menu and turn 4g off, then when the icon disappears, turn it back on. The green uploading arrow is whatever you were trying to send repeatedly trying to reach its destination and not receiving an "ack"message from the remote server, acknowledging receipt...

9. chiko305

chiko305 Guest
    None

Jun 1, 2011
    in my case I wasnt really uploading anything. and yea I use lte functionality test but when I was having that issue I used everything even app called reset connection not even that worked, cdma or globa none of that worked 4G never came back sometimes it would show but it would be gray out or the green arrow. so I search on how to fix it and almost everyone where saying to return the phone.. im not gonna get so deep on it but yeah any cut activity lte functionality test wouldn't work in my case. Odin and stock tar got it to work.

10. dsrtegl

dsrtegl Member
    None

Apr 4, 2011
    This has been happening to me the last few days as well.

A reboot of the phone usually clears it up. I'm sure it's something with Metro since it started suddenly and a lot of people are seeing it.

11. TRS-80

TRS-80 Android Enthusiast
    None

As tiede and markolo25 have said, it's Metro's tower(s) and/or data network. Sometimes I have data issues at my office, the problems always seem to be related to this one tower. Lately it has been better though.

If you have tried all the "tricks" (turning 4G off and on, airplane mode, rebooting, etc.) then it's probably not your phone, it's just some sort of a tower / network data outage. If it continues forever, on all towers, then you may have a phone issue and at that point maybe consider flashing with Odin (if you suspect a software issue). Only as a last resort should you return the phone (unless you suspect a hardware issue for some reason).

12. polywood223

polywood223 Well-Known Member
    None

Jul 2, 2011
    waffle house
    gp texas
    No it seems like problems with connections to towers because me an my girl have the same phone and it did what yall are talking about for like two days hasnt since so......