• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

I have betrayed my Eris brothers. . .

ErisJnkie

Dec 10, 2009
Some of you may remember my posts from earlier today, and I was debating taking the plunge and going to the Droid from the Eris.

I have made the switch! So far so good, except I've noticed that it's a little bit jittery going from one screen to another on my home screen. . . . But I don't have the LED bleed from the capacitive buttons, I can see it, but only when I turn the phone all the way up and peer into the glass underneath.

So far I'm happy. The screen is magnificent, and MUCH better than the Eris!

I am glad to be among you, my Droid brothers!:D

I am curious to here what the Eris withdrawal is like a few days in. I have been thinking of making the same change and was at a Verizon kiosk today and a few of the employees had the Eris instead of the Droid. Does it feel much more powerful than the Eris or about the same. I know the screen resolution is going to be better, but how about the media player, camera and overall usefulness of the Motorola.

Upvote 0
Yesss!.....Join uss!!.........
*looks around warily for the spurned Brotherhood of Eris...."

But in all seriousness, any random questions, ask away! I hope you enjoy whichever phone you eventually end up with =) Droid has been a great phone for me in part because I've become exposed to the android community, which is something that will be will be true across many pieces of hardware.

(*thinks sisterhood of Eris would be more classically pertinent....)
(** And also, I would be happy to found the sisterhood of the droid...)

For the homescreen lag, you may wish to try another home launcher. I'm using Home++, which seems a bit quicker to me.

Upvote 0
Does it feel much more powerful than the Eris or about the same. I know the screen resolution is going to be better, but how about the media player, camera and overall usefulness of the Motorola.

Neither the Eris or Droid have great cameras, but I think the Eris has the better camera of the two. I'm not going to carry a camera with me everywhere, so I'm happy that I have something to use when I want.

Other than not stuttering on video, the stock media player seems the same. I used Meridian on the Eris and now use it on the Droid.

Other than the slight lag when swiping home screens on the droid pre 2.01, the Droid is significally faster than the Eris in pretty much everything. The Droid will still get laggy sometimes, but not nearly to the degree the Eris does.

I would really like to see a comparison of the Droid and Eris running the same version of stock Android. While the Droid will always be faster than the Eris due to the superior processor, I think the Eris will run faster due to optimizations in newer versions of Android.

Upvote 0
I am curious to here what the Eris withdrawal is like a few days in. I have been thinking of making the same change and was at a Verizon kiosk today and a few of the employees had the Eris instead of the Droid. Does it feel much more powerful than the Eris or about the same. I know the screen resolution is going to be better, but how about the media player, camera and overall usefulness of the Motorola.

I am formerly ErisJnkie, now DroidJnkie. .

As far as withdrawal effects, I don't know if I will feel them in a few days after the novelty of the Moto Droid wears off, but I can tell you my first few impressions in comparison with the Eris.

1. The Moto Droid is faster. No, it's not blazing fire faster, but it's very noticeable. For some reason, it even renders web-pages faster. I'm not sure why this is, since it's the same 3G network, but maybe the internal processor has something to do with it.

2. Media is MUCH better. The sound quality with music is way better, in my opinion. You can put it louder with little or no distortion than you can on the Eris. I don't have that annoying lag in sound w/ picture on videos as I did on the Eris. I can watch youtube videos with no problem, which is something the Eris couldn't do after the OTA update. Speakerphone on phone calls is much louder and clearer. The sound and video aspects really blow me away. Adding to this is of course that the screen is larger and much brighter. I was impressed with the video and the brightness wasn't even all the way up.

3. The Moto Droid is heavier. I'm not sure what the specs are, but it does feel like a brick in my hand. It's definitely not as pretty and light as the Eris. I kind of miss that, I kind of don't. I'm more of a tech geek, so I prefer function and potential over looks in a lot of ways. My wife has the Eris and thought that the Droid is ugly as heck. It's definitely not as pretty, that's for sure, but I'm looking at it right now and I don't have any feelings of wanting to throw up. It's not hideous. Just not as pretty.

4. There is an annoying LED light that stays on at night as long as the battery is charging. Once it's charged, it goes off, but if you have put the phone through a lot of use and it needs to charge up quite a bit, and you have it on your night stand (like I do, for alarm clock purposes), then it will definitely be annoying. I don't want to put a sock or piece of cloth on it because I don't want it to overheat (cloth is VERY good for insulating heat). Tonight I will try simply putting it on the floor under the bed and hope my dogs don't get hungry during the night.

5. Doesn't have HTC Sense UI. This depends on whether you care or not. Personally, I don't care at all. I like the fact that the Eris has 7 screens, and I will be downloading home ++ for it for more screens, but I didn't have all the widgets on my Eris anyway. I customized it using bettercut and just had an "iphone" style layout. Bunch of icons on different screens. It just depends on what you like. The fact that the Moto Droid DOESN'T have Sense UI on it also means that it will be updated to higher OS faster than the HTC, since it doesn't have to layer Sense UI on top of it first before releasing it.

6. The Moto Droid has been rooted. Yes, I know that the Eris might get rooted very soon, but on the xda website, it appears that HTC really buttoned down the hatch on this one and they can't find a way to get into it yet. Again, this all depends on what you like. You may not care about rooting. But the fact that it's rooted will soon make point #5 obsolete, since eventually you will be able to put HTC Sense on the Droid once it's available to flash.

7. Did I mention the screen? Unbelievable.

8. Also, Google Maps Navigation is AWESOME!!

9. Google Goggles is really cool, although I haven't tried it too much yet.

10. It looks more manly.

That's it. That's all I've got for now. Will post later if I think of anything else.

Upvote 0

As far as withdrawal effects, I don't know if I will feel them in a few days after the novelty of the Moto Droid wears off, but I can tell you my first few impressions in comparison with the Eris.

1. The Moto Droid is faster. No, it's not blazing fire faster, but it's very noticeable. For some reason, it even renders web-pages faster. I'm not sure why this is, since it's the same 3G network, but maybe the internal processor has something to do with it.

2. Media is MUCH better. The sound quality with music is way better, in my opinion. You can put it louder with little or no distortion than you can on the Eris. I don't have that annoying lag in sound w/ picture on videos as I did on the Eris. I can watch youtube videos with no problem, which is something the Eris couldn't do after the OTA update. Speakerphone on phone calls is much louder and clearer. The sound and video aspects really blow me away. Adding to this is of course that the screen is larger and much brighter. I was impressed with the video and the brightness wasn't even all the way up.

3. The Moto Droid is heavier. I'm not sure what the specs are, but it does feel like a brick in my hand. It's definitely not as pretty and light as the Eris. I kind of miss that, I kind of don't. I'm more of a tech geek, so I prefer function and potential over looks in a lot of ways. My wife has the Eris and thought that the Droid is ugly as heck. It's definitely not as pretty, that's for sure, but I'm looking at it right now and I don't have any feelings of wanting to throw up. It's not hideous. Just not as pretty.

4. There is an annoying LED light that stays on at night as long as the battery is charging. Once it's charged, it goes off, but if you have put the phone through a lot of use and it needs to charge up quite a bit, and you have it on your night stand (like I do, for alarm clock purposes), then it will definitely be annoying. I don't want to put a sock or piece of cloth on it because I don't want it to overheat (cloth is VERY good for insulating heat). Tonight I will try simply putting it on the floor under the bed and hope my dogs don't get hungry during the night.

5. Doesn't have HTC Sense UI. This depends on whether you care or not. Personally, I don't care at all. I like the fact that the Eris has 7 screens, and I will be downloading home ++ for it for more screens, but I didn't have all the widgets on my Eris anyway. I customized it using bettercut and just had an "iphone" style layout. Bunch of icons on different screens. It just depends on what you like. The fact that the Moto Droid DOESN'T have Sense UI on it also means that it will be updated to higher OS faster than the HTC, since it doesn't have to layer Sense UI on top of it first before releasing it.

6. The Moto Droid has been rooted. Yes, I know that the Eris might get rooted very soon, but on the xda website, it appears that HTC really buttoned down the hatch on this one and they can't find a way to get into it yet. Again, this all depends on what you like. You may not care about rooting. But the fact that it's rooted will soon make point #5 obsolete, since eventually you will be able to put HTC Sense on the Droid once it's available to flash.

10. It looks more manly.

That's it. That's all I've got for now. Will post later if I think of anything else.

Good Post!

Upvote 0
For the homescreen lag, you may wish to try another home launcher. I'm using Home++, which seems a bit quicker to me.

I don't think its lag, it seems more like there is a default speed that the screens pans at but it starts by matching your finger and then half way threw it goes back to default. Try moving you finger a hair slower, when I do the "jitter" is gone

Upvote 0
Good Post!

I'm not a technical person, but I like functionality. Also, coming from the Strom 1, I really like the fact that the Droid has already been rooted because when I had my Storm, i was able to set it up how i wanted and get rid of useless apps to ad functionality and speed to the phone.

The Eris has a real good keyboard and I find that not matter how bad I mess up a word, it seems to get the word correct. Barring the slide out keyboard on the Moto Droid, is there a better keyboard that could be downloaded for the touchscreen.

I am going to put my Storm 1 on Ebay with the accessories and once it sells, I am going to upgrade my Droid.

Upvote 0
I'm not a technical person, but I like functionality. Also, coming from the Strom 1, I really like the fact that the Droid has already been rooted because when I had my Storm, i was able to set it up how i wanted and get rid of useless apps to ad functionality and speed to the phone.

The Eris has a real good keyboard and I find that not matter how bad I mess up a word, it seems to get the word correct. Barring the slide out keyboard on the Moto Droid, is there a better keyboard that could be downloaded for the touchscreen.

I am going to put my Storm 1 on Ebay with the accessories and once it sells, I am going to upgrade my Droid.

Dude, BB is no match for the Droid. I used various assortments of BB devices for the past 10 years, and the Droid kills em all.

Upvote 0
Now during the Holidays, he can sit at the adult's table. :eek: :D :D :D

Seriously. Man. No he would only have to go to the kiddie table if he went to WinMo. J/K. LOL. I have had both the Droid and the Eris and they both have good points and bad points. I am sticking with the Eris and will pay out of pocket if a super-powered HTC comes along. I do miss the Droid's screen (gorgeous) but not the bulkiness of the phone and the fact that when I turned it off or had to pull the battery, it would take 5-10 minutes for the Droid to be able to make a call.

Upvote 0
Neither the Eris or Droid have great cameras, but I think the Eris has the better camera of the two. I'm not going to carry a camera with me everywhere, so I'm happy that I have something to use when I want.

Other than not stuttering on video, the stock media player seems the same. I used Meridian on the Eris and now use it on the Droid.

Other than the slight lag when swiping home screens on the droid pre 2.01, the Droid is significally faster than the Eris in pretty much everything. The Droid will still get laggy sometimes, but not nearly to the degree the Eris does.

I would really like to see a comparison of the Droid and Eris running the same version of stock Android. While the Droid will always be faster than the Eris due to the superior processor, I think the Eris will run faster due to optimizations in newer versions of Android.

I agree with all that you said :). But all factors considered I have the Eris until something that combines the best parts of both phones comes along.

Upvote 0

Yes definitely.

Speaker on the Droid kicks the Eris' for sure.

While I don't think the Droid is ugly at all, it does look a little more masculine and is HEAVY to hold. It was also bulky to use in landscape mode to me.

Until I had the dock, I put a piece of paper over it. Even when i had the dock and had it on nighttime brightness setting, I had to turn it away from me because it was too bright at night.

I really like Sense UI even if it does slow the Eris down some. I would love to see what a phone with a better processor would do with Sense UI. I know you can d/l a lot of things for the Droid to try to replicate Sense but I ran into a lot of buggy apps and the possibility of having to pay for some on top of the money I already chunked down on the Droid. And because neither phone is exactly what I hope, only spending 99 on the Eris was less painful.

Yes that's what I miss the most about the Droid. It is gorgeous!!!

It was a bit buggy for me but I will be glad when the Eris gets the OS update so I can give it a go again.

10. It looks more manly.

Good thoughts. Thanks for sharing :)

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones