• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Root I have decided to root

mattic

Lurker
Oct 1, 2010
So I have decided to root. I was going to goldcard/ruu to debrand my Orange UK Desire but I am a tinkerer and would love to flash rooted roms etc.

Before I start I have a few questions;

1. Radio Firmware: This is the biggie for me - I know that doing any sort of Rom change you are likely to run into issues with the radio, this seems especially true on orange ones. So without having to unlock (it may sound cheap, but I haven't been paid for 2 months :() is there a way to avoid potential simlocks? Ie can I keep the radio version that is currently only my phone (just updated to Froyo).

2. I know you can't get OTA updates with rooted roms, but I like to keep up to date. I assume the guys making the roms are coming out with new ones all the time so is it quite easy to flash a new rom and be on your way?

3. Titanium Backup and Nandroid - I have seen people saying to use these for backups when you root. As far as I can tell titanium backup is good for settings etc, and Nandroid is good for getting all your apps back, right? They both seem to require root access, so that surely means I can't backup all my settings before I root??

4. How easy is it to get back to default?

5. Which rom? I have seen many singing the praises of DeFrost. Is this pretty close to stock rom?

6. Anything you suggest I do/install when I am rooted? Anything especially cool :D.

I have seen many guides about, this in particular looks pretty damn easy to follow. Though the latest comments seem to be people having trouble now that they are on Froyo and not eclaire.

Also I got my phone early April, so I assume the screen is AMOLED, it doesn't seem to suffer from backlight bleed and its black as black on black backgrounds.

Regards,

Matt

2. The good devs keep upto date

3. Titanium for apps and settings. Nandroid is a complete back up of everything. This wipes the phone and restores it exactly as is. I.e if you install a new Rom and restore nandroid you will be back to your previous Rom

4. Default? As in.unrooted stock? Is easy but wipes phone. Have to run an ruu from pc

5. I love defrost but its as far from stock as you can get

6. Set CPU, autokiller (not a task killer), autostarts

Upvote 0
Your phone will be amoled i got mine from orange in June & that is amoled, you will find it was sometime in July the slcd screens started filtering through.

How did you tell it's AMOLED for certain? The Orange packaging with mine gave no specs for anything at all. I got the phone in early August but it seems to meet the "blackest blacks and no backlight bleed"" criteria...

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones