• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

I have gone through 9 Replacement Droids!!!

thebarbrr

Nov 13, 2009
Okay, so i have gone through 9 replacement Droids and am going for #10 last one i got was brand new! It wasnt refurb. so i was happy. The rep at Verizon store told me that since i have had so many problems, she would note my account to give me a choice or opportunity to get a Droid X or Droid 2 (when it is released) as a replacement. What should i do!!!!! I love my droid and 1 yr warranty is up in November, so i dont wanna risk my phone being total crap and being SOL. Should i keep my wonderful Droid? or Get a Droid X or Droid 2?

I myself have gone through 5 replacements through verizon. These have all be refurbs and all of them have had obvious problems. I am so tired of getting refurbs its not even funny. They did offer for me to receive a new device but were only offering a devour or ally. To that I obviously declined for obvious reasons. I am currently having issues with my current refub and I am hoping they will offer me another option to my problems.

Upvote 0
either i take really good care of my phone, have the best luck in the world, or just not nit picky. i have been with verizon for over 11 years and i have only needed to get a replacement once and that was back in the razr v3c days.

Same here, 1 replacement BB in years of service. And the one replacement was due to a bad charging cord (messed up the pins in the phone) and not the phone.

Upvote 0
All the phones i have had have had a problem with resetting on their own throughout the day, getting stuck in bootloop, keyboard led not working, and the very last one i took which was on friday...it rebooted and went to a black screen that said bootloader in white letters and other stuff. They tried to do a factory reset at verizon store by holding power then x but didnt get it to go on...so should i stay with my Droid?

Upvote 0
I had to replace my first one. My current one has some minor issues that I decided to live with since I didn't wanna end up with a refurb.

To the people crying foul, take a chill pill. It's entirely possible that the op just got incredibly unlucky with some bum phones.

To the op, I'd keep the droid if it's a good one. Screw the d2 and x. Locked down crap with a Blur infection. If you find yourself needing more speed... Root, flash a rim, and oc. I'm currently satisfied with stock, but if I feel the need later on, that's what I'll do.

Upvote 0
I dont believe recieving faulty phones from Motorola is being wreckless at all

Having 9 faulty phones in succession in just a few months when the vast majority of users rarely replace any, goes beyond bad luck........Obviously you're doing something you shouldn't be.....

How about people check out theZero Tolerance Policy and then tone their posts down.

I went through 5 Motorola Qs and 6 Samsung Alias 2s, none of which were due to me. Some people just have bad luck with phones and this person sounds like one of them.

I would probably go for the Droid 2 if you prefer physical keyboard like myself. I couldn't do touch screen only.

Upvote 0
I can sympathize. Since last june I've gone through:
11 Storm 1's
3 Tour's
4 Eris's

on first droid which after a couple days is not having issues lol.

Blackberry problems were ALL screen related on the storms. Had dead spots where it wouldn't track my thumb, or the "sureclick" crap wasnt working at all sooo yeah, coulnd't select anything.

The last 2 storms and tours were all dropped call issues. I went from 1% dropped on the account to 29% in a month, although one of the ladies at tech support was impressed that I dropped calls on every tower in staten island, 3 in brooklyn and 5 in new jersey(woohoo?)

The eris was a kickass device until 2.1 pushed. That phone went right into the crapper after 2.1 and never came back. Massive system lag, dialer lag, etc etc etc.

Droid so far so good lol, see how long this lasts.

IMO the storm1 was just a poorly designed phone. I know my mom has used blackberry's for years and loves em. The tour call drop issues were later attributed to the enterprise server crashing and having stability issues, however they couldnt give me a reason that was sound enough for me to stick with a blackberry.

Upvote 0
it depends on what you do with your phone, if you are into rooting, overclocking, etc... I would stick with the droid1, if you are an average user who just uses the stock features, I would personally go with the x, there are some good features with this phone. If you prefer a physical keyboard go with the droid2. If I were you I would do some research on both phones and see what would best fit with your needs. If your having such bad luck with droid1's maybe you should steer clear of that phone.

Upvote 0
Better wait until they crack the eFuse stuff. Otherwise you'll have a nice, new phone, but no ROMs to run on it. They may root it, but not ROMs, which is half the fun of root. At least on a Droid, where we aren't destined to go beyond 2.2. A Droid 2 may be a different story, and should be good until early 2012 before it can't handle Android OS requirements.

I would go for the new Droid 2, but maybe wait a bit. Wait until October or so and then make the switch. Then your D2's warranty will be extended a bit as well to next October instead of next August. Two months makes all the difference in a warranty, much like two days does.

Upvote 0
Joined Verizon in Dec, bought an eris. Everything fie till the 2.1 OTA. Then my Eris was shit. Replaced it twice. On the third one I demasnded something else. THey offered the Ally or Devour. Obviously I said no and pushed till they offered me the Droid. THat had a problem where I wasnt getting GMail notifications so they sent me a second Droid. They tried to send me a refurb and I refused. They sent me a new Droid. Forced 2.2 onto it. So far So good

So since December I have had 5 phones.

Upvote 0
Are you people crazy? I've gone through 2 from pure accident and I feel bad enough. I have no clue how you can go through 9 phones and have them all be defective. Then again I have heard of paranoid iPhone owners going through 12+ because their silver bezel was 1nm to far high and the "3G" was to small and not highlighted so I guess I shouldn't be surprised.

Upvote 0
I am on my #4 droid. This one seemed to be brand new with a July/10 production date.

Phone #1- Touch screen went wacko after a few months.
Phone #2- DOA. Never woke up after outgoing or incoming call.
Phone #3- Microphone shorted out.
Phone #4- Screen wakes up CONSTANTLY when I'm using it. I hang up literally on every single call because the damn screen turns on. The sensor is whacked.

I am sick of this. The OS is great but the phone SUCKS. How many more do I need to go through until they offer me a new device entirely? Any special phrases to say?

Upvote 0
I am on my #4 droid. This one seemed to be brand new with a July/10 production date.

Phone #1- Touch screen went wacko after a few months.
Phone #2- DOA. Never woke up after outgoing or incoming call.
Phone #3- Microphone shorted out.
Phone #4- Screen wakes up CONSTANTLY when I'm using it. I hang up literally on every single call because the damn screen turns on. The sensor is whacked.

I am sick of this. The OS is great but the phone SUCKS. How many more do I need to go through until they offer me a new device entirely? Any special phrases to say?

"I'm going to go buy an iPhone". ;)

I've only had to replace a phone twice. It was the At&t Tilt. Started randomly rebooting, the first replacement wouldn't see the sim card, second one worked until I got my Droid. Have had zero issues with the Droid.

Upvote 0
I had and eris and went through 4 of those. The only phone offered to me was the droid. Which I'm happy with. Few issues here and there but nothing like when I had the eris. I found the best thing for me to do was when I called in and it asked if I wanted to do a survey I said yes. And then trashed the survey cause they kept sending me crap eris's and was upset and rate if I would recommend verizon and I said no. And within 3 hours a manager called me and asked why I was upset, told my story and boom no more eris hello droid. Hopefully they fox issues with 2.2 cause its starting to remind me again of the eris. Starting to get laggy internet not working some times weird random stuff. But at least now I have a idea of how to deal with cust service. And if u ever have a problem and u need advice on how to deal with cust service just go to the eris page. Its filled with upset people.

Upvote 0
I too went thru 7 Moto Droids. I finally had enough of the refurbs, and they offered an early upgrade. I got a brand new droid, the only problem I am having with this one is the camera takes crappy pics part of the time and it's way worse if I zoom. I want to stay with the D1 because of the vanilla android, but both the X and the D2 sound pretty awesome. I have never rooted, but have been seriously considering it lately. Good luck to u .

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones