• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

I have NO clue what I'm doing

Cupcake refers to the 1.5 version of android. Each version of the android os is given the name of a dessert. For example 1.5 is cupcake, 1.6 is donut, 2.0 is eclair, etc.

Tv is somewhat possible. There is an app called Jetflicks that has a bunch of different seasons and episodes of popular tv series. I think its like $10 a month though. I'm not sure of any other tv apps.

Upvote 0
I need help... I have NO idea what I'm doin! I just got this phone not too long ago and fiddling around with it I got here not sure how.... But this is exactly what I needed! I really want TV is this possible? And what in the word is a cupcake?:thinking:??

Congrats on getting your behold 2 there are some things you should know about the forums. All things root is where you find Custom ROMS for your behold 2, rooting your phone, and practically anything that has to do with modifying your phone, making it better and faster, custom themes, extending battery life. This current forum we are in is for stock behold 2 that runs Android cupcake, aka Android 1.5 and over at android.com they have video's detailing the different features of each OS unfortunately unless you root your phone and put in a Custom ROM you are pretty much stuck with a rather sluggish android that samsung left us with but according to samsungs twitter account we should be seeing Android 2.1 eclair very soon and what this would give us is flash capability in websites and what flash is, its a language of which most cell phones don't have the software to read so some videos other than youtube might not be playable and some games play in flash, thats not all Android 2.1 would give us, more apps to play with, live wall papers for your phone so that its not so boring, I am sure I am leaving out alot more on what 2.1 Android does.

Although I am advising you to root your phone for the best possible android experience a behold 2 has ever seen there is a risk of bricking your phone although the chances of actually bricking your phone are like 1% out of 100% our method is extremely safe. Through rooting we can upgrade you to Android Donut 1.6 of which is better because it allows more apps than 1.5 because most apps nowadays are made to be compatible with 1.6 and higher. Thanks to many we have great ROMs in the all things root forum, I recommend BH_Man's Behold 2 1.6 (No Twiz) ROM great speed and battery life just without touchwiz launcher of which is the 3 home screens that you would normally have but it is replaced by something better "advanced launcher" allows to have up to 11 home screens so that you can put more widgets up. Imo its the perfect rom perfection. Also make sure you back up your apps if you are going to do this I also recommend (aTrackDogSD, its free or appbackup of which is also free) and that your contacts are synced with google so that it would be less on you after you finish if you decide to do this.

As far as TV goes I am positive that there is an app in the market for streaming tv but of course you would need wi-fi or a data plan to use such a feature.

Welcome to the community. ( I just thought someone should give you a introduction, I am not a forum Mod).

Sorry for the essay:D

Upvote 0
I have NO idea about anything u r saying!!!!! I am really NOT tech savvy!!!! How in the hello do u go about changing the root of the phone???? I would love 2 make it faster but am lost! Until the New phone I had a "regular" old phone where I cold talk, text, and take pics.... So I am very clueless!!!

I would explain it all right now but I gotta get at least 2 hours sleep before I get ready for college today.

so I will just redirect you to a couple of pages that will help you.... If you still have questions after just post a thread in the All things root behold 2 sub forum and everyone there is very helpful.

first off is why root?, to get an understanding of what you would be doing by rooting and flashing custom ROMs (Why Root - Android Wiki)

after you finish and still choose to continue

Install this program to your computer here

then install your drivers on the computer, here are the files drivers <--- click here

then ODIN is next of which is flashing custom software onto your phone.

First download this file and unzip it to your computer, it is the ROM that I recommend putting on your phone... BH_MAN's Android 1.6 Behold 2 Stock (NO Touchwiz)

Then follow these instructions
Originally Posted by Mastermind278
Okay let me help you step by step! :)

1. Open up Odin Multi Download
2. Under Select OPS, choose Behold2_partition.ops
3. Click PDA, choose the .tar.md5 file
4. Power Off Phone
5. Make sure you have it connected to the computer using the Usb cord
6. Hold and Press Volume Down, OK(the center button), Power (the red end button) until the phone says Download mode
7. Click Start on Odin Multi Downloader and wait until its the timer is finished before unplugging unplugging early can brick your phone
8. Then congrats on installing a new ROM!
:D

Also if touch screen appears not to work after just turn it off by pressing and holding end until the menu comes up then just click the directional pad down( its around the center button) until it highlights Power off then click the center button, then turn it back on and all should be well :D

Upvote 0
I need to rest also. I have insomnia and need to lay down. I will look at those pages in a bit.... The only thing though, I don't have a computer... Will I still b able to do this and will u b willing to walk me through what I have to do???? U have been the most helpful!!! Thanxs 4 takin the time with me!

You're welcome always glad to help, but unfortunately no, unless you have access to a computer or a laptop its not exactly possible to install a Custom ROM onto your phone but yeah if you are able to get access to a computer I'd be willing to help you as much as I can with installing it to your phone.

Upvote 0
I think we need to remember not all Android phone users are techs. Rooting isn't the answer to every question.

You have Cupcake, which is version 1.5 of the Android. "anyday now" (anyday has been going on for months) your phone will be upgraded to 2.0 or 2.1.

There are some applications that might hear others talking about, that won't be available until you get upgraded. Such as Google maps application that actually tells you turn by turn directions as well as any GPS you would buy.

I am a tech person and I have not yet rooted my phone and may or may not. Yes you can tweek it and get better performance, but mine works fine for what I do.

Your time might be better using it to research what application might work for you. For example.... I loaded "atbat 2010" for my wife it cost 1 time 10$, but she loves baseball. I love to golf so I found an application that tracks how far I hit a Golfball and how far I am from the Green.

Upvote 0
They give you a stock androind homescreen setup instead if the touchwiz setup. Most experienced android users don't care for touchwiz because it kinda brutilizes the android experience, but those new to android don't know what they are missing. For the everyday user touchwiz is fine and you probably don't need to replace it.

Upvote 0
Noob question im about to run odin do i need to change any of the options? like hitting the 1 package button or changing the reset timer?

Plus when i add \BH_MAN_DOTS.tar.md5 to pda it says invalid image type. Im using 4.0.3 of odin do i need to worry about that?

Thanks in advanced!

No, the invalid image type message is normal, although nobody really knows as to why it will say invalid image it is normal and just something to ignore. You do not need to click anything else outside of the original directions. So no, you do not need to reset the timer unless you are going to do ODIN another phone and 1 package is when it includes every possible image(the bootloader, phone image, etc) or like when we manually do updates if some don't wish to wait when an update to the phone has been released. We are just using the PDA and OPS option, so we do not need to use one package. And when doing ODIN do not remove the phone until it says kill or killed timer in the message box in ODIN.

On a side note if you wish to install other ROMs for the behold2 ALWAYS include the OPS file.

Upvote 0
Okay.... How do I change my phones stock android homescreen setup???

EDIT:
A home screen is normally what you see when you turn on your phone. Home screen displays all your widgets of which are basically quick access or views of certain apps like music player, calendar, the search bar and so on. Touchwiz samsungs default home screen, only allows for 3 home screens and by installing a home replacement it pretty much allows you to have up to 11 home screens that you can view and edit by changing the background wall paper, adding more widgets and so on.

What do you mean as in adding a home replacement app? you search in the market for home and there are many choices Panda home(free), GDE( its costs $3), DxTop (around $3) but it force closes so don't waste your money on it, OpenHome (just like panda home except it costs money not too sure of the price).

I suggest PandaHome since its free and just about all skins or themes will work and most are free as well. Just click on it download it and install it set it as your default home app if you want to.

Upvote 0
Is anyone or does anyone know someone in th southern westchester/Bronx/City area in NY that could help me with the phone??? I would be so grateful to learn what I need to know about my phone!!!

Haha, an NYC BH2 meet-up. I think I may be the only other one here from NYC, I know mastermind is in NJ, but I think he is just an android guy, not specifically BH2.

Let me know if anyone else is around.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones