1. Download our Official Android App: Forums for Android!

General I have noticed when using moble hotspot

Discussion in 'Android Devices' started by Dark Jedi, May 31, 2011.

1. Dark Jedi

Dark Jedi Guest
    None
    That my reboots increase and when it reboots it sucks my battery dry. I am about to go back to my Dinc and wait till they fix this phone. We keep hearing the fix is soon but I doubt they even know what it is. Plus this mobile hotspot is crap compared to my dealings with wireless tether. Verizon really thinks people are going to pay for this crap program that constantly loses connection and reconnects constantly. I might just root the damn thing and be done with it.

Advertisement

2. CharlzO

CharlzO Android Expert
    None

Apr 2, 2011
    Male
    Computer Programmer
    Used it on mine on Sunday for about 7 hours, never a hiccup, nor reboot. I'm on an unrooted TB, and had it running to my laptop (did have it plugged in half the time as charge-only as well, to keep battery up. I also have mine set to Stay Awake when plugged in, in case it matters. Sorry to hear about your troubles. I've just been lucky with mine, I guess. I didn't change the Power Mode in the Hotspot Advanced Options, but I was using it pretty much all along, so there really weren't 10 minutes of inactivity coming my way. However, I know I've heard some people change that to Always On and it solved some things too.

3. Dark Jedi

Dark Jedi Guest
    None
    I tried the always on and still does it. Might try to update my card drivers on my laptop and see if it fixes the dropped signal. It's funny my phone never drops to 1x unless its on hotbot and my signal goes crazy. I even disable 4G radio and still don't help . Maybe I am in a poor signal area where I live for the WiFi portion?

4. CharlzO

CharlzO Android Expert
    None

Apr 2, 2011
    Male
    Computer Programmer
    Well, the wifi is only going from your phone to your laptop, so I could only see it being an issue if you have poor signal otherwise, regardless of the hotspot. Perhaps though, there's some internal issue with the two conflicting when it's active, but not when it isn't. If it's easily replicated though, you might end up having to take it in and showing them in-store that "look, it's fine until I turn the hotspot on, then it goes bonkers"

5. dmunz

dmunz Well-Known Member

Mar 18, 2011
    Houston
    I run mine all day long with an iPad and iPod touch. I've never had a reboot (AFAIK) and only had connection issues when the 4G signal drops. This hardly happens anymore either. I have been rock solid 4G just outside the NE corrner of the 610 loop in Houston for a month now.

FWIW
    DLM

6. TxGoat

TxGoat Guest
    None
    I can't imagine paying for the hotspot for my phone either. For the 2-3 times I've tried using it with my PS3, it drops mobile connection and then reconnects wifi.

I remember buying a 1st year build of a supercharged "performance" Saturn, and telling myself I was never going to buy a 1st year build of a new car. I guess I should have taken that mindset when thinking about buying this phone. From reboots to poor wifi connection, to peeling kickstand clearcoat, and poor battery life, this may be the last HTC device I ever purchase.