• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

I have recieved 2.2 FROYO

Have you received the OTA!?

• I have received the OTA!!11!!11!1one

Votes: 416 30.9%
  • Nope.

Votes: 929 69.1%

• Total voters
If you don't want to deal with the technical complexities of installing RUU manually, then yes you can wipe after the OTA update. However, I have absolutely no desire to do so unless I have serious issues after the update. For the same reason I still have XP - when I build a new computer later this year I'll install Windows 7. I have no interest in spending days reinstalling all my applications, games, updates, patches, data, drivers, settings, etc. etc. until necessary. So, no it's generally not necessary to wipe after the OTA if everything is working fine.

One other comment - are we 100% certain the leaked RUU is identical to the OTA version?

Root, Run Titanium backup, install RUU, and use Titanium to restore everything (apps, settings, etc). Done. No reinstalling.

Upvote 0
after playing with 2.2 for an hour now, i have to agree with Texas. i can't say i'm noticing a huge difference in speed/performance, but im not a power user as well. i'm still trying to find a good site to test flash on, the flashlight app is cool. A lot of the lil stuff i've been noticing is GUI changes, little accents to the interface. i'll be getting rid of vz nav and some of the other bloatware once unrevoked can confirm root with 2.2 OTA.
i noticed when i plugged in my phone via usb to my comp, it brought up some new VZ media manager install which i dont remember seeing before. i dont know if i just never noticed it before(tho i think i would have), but its to transfer music/movies/pics from your phone to the PC.
hope ya'll get Froyo soon

Upvote 0
How do you root? Why do it first. Doesn't the update remove root?
Doesn't unrevoked install it's own rom image that isn't upgradeable?

Run Unvrevoked 3 to root. You root so you can run Titanium backup. It requires root.

The update will remove root if you don't run Unrevokedforever and set S-off (forgot to mention that part).

Unrevoked doesn't mess with the ROM. It installs its own recovery known as Clockworkmod. This is reversible after you've run Titanium backup to save all of your apps and settings.

Upvote 0
after playing with 2.2 for an hour now, i have to agree with Texas. i can't say i'm noticing a huge difference in speed/performance, but im not a power user as well. i'm still trying to find a good site to test flash on, the flashlight app is cool. A lot of the lil stuff i've been noticing is GUI changes, little accents to the interface. i'll be getting rid of vz nav and some of the other bloatware once unrevoked can confirm root with 2.2 OTA.
i noticed when i plugged in my phone via usb to my comp, it brought up some new VZ media manager install which i dont remember seeing before. i dont know if i just never noticed it before(tho i think i would have), but its to transfer music/movies/pics from your phone to the PC.
hope ya'll get Froyo soon

I can say, I've noticed a sizable difference in performance. Not to mention my Quadrant Score went from 528 to 1250. BTW, did u get the OTA or did u download the leak?

Upvote 0
I hope to shed a little bit of light on how these rollouts usually work:

The reason for a rollout like this is to keep congestion down. This we all know. Because of this, rollouts are usually NOT done regionally. You can still only put so much traffic on a tower, and if you were to rollout to a whole region, you're still causing congestion, which is counter-productive since the whole reason you're doing the staggered rollout is to NOT have congestion.

It's usually done that the carrier decides how long they want the rollout to last, and how much congestion they feel their towers can handle at any certain time so as not to affect other service. Based on these factors, they choose X amount of people per area to receive the update at certain intervals. So, there's really no rhyme or reason as to who receives the update first.

This way, congestion is spread out more evenly across their servers, and they are not jamming up towers with everyone in one area trying to update their phones.

Even though we feel like we are a large group, you've got to remember that in the whole scheme of people out there that own Dincs, we're a very small community, and that is probably why it seems like it's "taking so long" for this update to roll through. There's much more of us out there than we think!

Upvote 0
I can say, I've noticed a sizable difference in performance. Not to mention my Quadrant Score went from 528 to 1250. BTW, did u get the OTA or did u download the leak?
I got my OTA this morning. I mean its a little faster, but not an OMG THIS IS F'N CRAZY fast difference.
My Quadrant score is now a 1153, which i know is a huge improvement compared to 2.1, and my Linkpack is at 29.81, which i dont remember what i had before

*EDIT* - i'm also noticing a lot of the bloatware is CONTINUOUSLY running itself even after task killer gets rid of it. I will hit my ATK, and within 30 secs i go back in, and VZ Nav is running again, Skype, and a bunch of other junk that i closed just before.

Upvote 0
Thanks, yes it's possible with the effort and technical knowledge to root, backup, RUU and restore. I just got the impression he wasn't interested in doing all that. But that sounds tempting.

Yep it does sound tempting, I've thought about it plenty of times. But you are correct, my question is really aimed at folks that plan on staying "stock".

I'm a bit of a tech geek and will probably end up rooting someday, but for now I'll wait for the OTA. I'm just trying to figure out if I want/need to do a reset after the update to "clean" things up.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones