• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

I have recieved 2.2 FROYO

Have you received the OTA!?

• I have received the OTA!!11!!11!1one

Votes: 416 30.9%
  • Nope.

Votes: 929 69.1%

• Total voters
Got tired of waiting, installed the RUU, works great, same versions.

Doc

Me too. And I am glad I did since a small amount of people are reporting sluggishness on the OTA install. More than likely because the RUU does a complete clean install of the phone getting rid of anything that may be hanging around from 2.1 like settings.

Upvote 0
This scares me. I am a power user, i need the most out of my battery. I dont need VZW forcing me to have apps opent hat i will never ever use.

Sounds like we need an immediate solution to root this thing quick, and get rid of the bloatware for good.
I'm guessing bloatware is stuff thats open regardless if you want it open?

Is my QS good @ 569?

Upvote 0
Me too. And I am glad I did since a small amount of people are reporting sluggishness on the OTA install. More than likely because the RUU does a complete clean install of the phone getting rid of anything that may be hanging around from 2.1 like settings.

It is ok with me because I did a hard reset and have nothing else in my phone at this time. I am just waiting for the ota. I charged the phone until 8:00 am yesterday and today it is still charged at 90% :)

Upvote 0
I'm guessing bloatware is stuff thats open regardless if you want it open?

Is my QS good @ 569?

Bloatware is apps that Verizon puts on your phone that you never use (VZ navigatior, City ID, My Verizon, Amazon MP3, etc.)

And a QS of 569, is that what you got on 2.2?

569 was my score when I was running 2.1

I think when I was on first leak of 2.2 I averaged about 1100 on Quadrant.

Upvote 0
Bloatware is apps that Verizon puts on your phone that you never use (VZ navigatior, City ID, My Verizon, Amazon MP3, etc.)

And a QS of 569, is that what you got on 2.2?

569 was my score when I was running 2.1

I think when I was on first leak of 2.2 I averaged about 1100 on Quadrant.
Alright, thats cool. I'm still on 2.1 so I guess that means, I'll really enjoy 2.2

I don't need Amazon, My Verizon, City ID ect ect... the Nav works for me but everything else is annoying.

Either way, 1 thing I really want is the screen to blink/flash when I get a text message, like the iPhone. Nothing else really bothers me.

Upvote 0
Here's an interesting FWIW....or not....

Was just on the phone with HTC support and they confirmed what everyone's been discussing here the past 24 hours (+) - roll-out of 2.2 has begun, it's random, it's regional, may take up to 2 weeks for all to happily have it, etc., etc. Two separate techs. , however, indicated there's an outside chance you can fool the phone into getting the update sooner. They said that this roll-out is forced, which means that when you're selected, you'll get it, pure and simple. Otherwise, the phone schedules itself to check updates routinely every 14 days. So, they said if you were to set your phone's calendar maunally to a date beyond two weeks from now, this would force the phone to check for any updates and, perhaps, see that the new 2.2 was available and snag it. Now, only hole in this theory when I tried it was that, even though I took my date/time setting off automatic and manually set it to three weeks from now, it still reverted back to today's date. Interestingly, one of the techs. had an Incredible and tried it as well, and his reverted back to today's date also. Even more interesting, his phone still has ver. 2.1.

So, I guess if anyone knows how to get their phone to hold a fake future date, it would be something to experiement with. In the meantime...we'll continue the vigil.

Have a fun and hopefully froyo weekend!!

Upvote 0
Here's an interesting FWIW....or not....

Was just on the phone with HTC support and they confirmed what everyone's been discussing here the past 24 hours (+) - roll-out of 2.2 has begun, it's random, it's regional, may take up to 2 weeks for all to happily have it, etc., etc. Two separate techs. , however, indicated there's an outside chance you can fool the phone into getting the update sooner. They said that this roll-out is forced, which means that when you're selected, you'll get it, pure and simple. Otherwise, the phone schedules itself to check updates routinely every 14 days. So, they said if you were to set your phone's calendar maunally to a date beyond two weeks from now, this would force the phone to check for any updates and, perhaps, see that the new 2.2 was available and snag it. Now, only hole in this theory when I tried it was that, even though I took my date/time setting off automatic and manually set it to three weeks from now, it still reverted back to today's date. Interestingly, one of the techs. had an Incredible and tried it as well, and his reverted back to today's date also. Even more interesting, his phone still has ver. 2.1.

So, I guess if anyone knows how to get their phone to hold a fake future date, it would be something to experiement with. In the meantime...we'll continue the vigil.

Have a fun and hopefully froyo weekend!!

I set mine to september 12th, so far, nothing. All you do is go to Date and Time in settings and change it, not so hard

EDIT: it went back to today's time less than a minute after changing, wow

Upvote 0
This scares me. I am a power user, i need the most out of my battery. I dont need VZW forcing me to have apps opent hat i will never ever use.

Sounds like we need an immediate solution to root this thing quick, and get rid of the bloatware for good.

I bought Startup Auditor back when I had my Motorola Droid. I just set it to "disable on startup" and "keep disabled" for all the VZW apps that I will never touch.

Upvote 0
I think it's by phone number (last 4), maybe 0000-9999

I doubt that. Devices are known not by their phone number but rather their MEID number. Your phone number can change, the MEID number never changes. If you look at the paperwork that came with the phone, that is the number used for tracking. Numbers on the box as well where they can scan it while it is being transported from place to place.

It is the same number that VZW uses when the phone is lost or stolen. In either case, the MEID number is locked out so it can't be used. They used to use ESN numbers but that format ran out of possible combination and is being replaced with MEID's. Some people refer to both as an ESN.

The update process itself is random, to attempt to spread the load of having the devices download the update etc..

Most users, don't even know there is an update coming until they see the message pop on the screen. Most users don't look at forums or even know they exist.

Forum users (all forums combined) make a small percentage of actual users of the devices.

Upvote 0
I doubt that. Devices are known not by their phone number but rather their MEID number. Your phone number can change, the MEID number never changes. If you look at the paperwork that came with the phone, that is the number used for tracking. Numbers on the box as well where they can scan it while it is being transported from place to place.

It is the same number that VZW uses when the phone is lost or stolen. In either case, the MEID number is locked out so it can't be used. They used to use ESN numbers but that format ran out of possible combination and is being replaced with MEID's. Some people refer to both as an ESN.

The update process itself is random, to attempt to spread the load of having the devices download the update etc..

Most users, don't even know there is an update coming until they see the message pop on the screen. Most users don't look at forums or even know they exist.

Forum users (all forums combined) make a small percentage of actual users of the devices.
Is there a way to know if it is downloading?

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones