• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Root I have rooted

greyishere

Feb 28, 2011
OK so after downloading every script you can possibly imagine I finally found a bat script scripted by Greekdev that rooted my phone. Completely no joke it was called Android ICS ROOT UNLOCKER 1.0 google it when you use it make sure that you wait for the device to be seen in windows after every time it reboots before you press a key to continue the rooting process .

Reactions: ratso1
Wow. Made my weekend and probably my week.

Note to Mac and Linux users: download the ICS root unlocker, open the bat-script in a text editor, use the steps in the script to type adb commands in the terminal prompt. Worked like a charm.

Noticed that Pantech recognizes that I have rooted the phone in a little menu item called "rooted" at the recovery screen. Not sure what that means if I ever have to unroot the phone for service issues.

#terabyte128: not sure what to do with my zip file after I built it. How do I go from the custom zip to flashing CWM? I'm missing something obvious no doubt.

Upvote 0
***Disclaimer: this worked for me on my breakout, I can guarantee nothing about what works/doesn't work for you or what you do to your phone.***

Try doing this, except I think "recovery" is mounted somewhere else on this phone, you would have to pull it from there instead.

That's where you would flash them, yes. Unfortunately I don't know the specifics of flashing recoveries and whatnot at the moment, but this is what I have found so far:

You *might* be able to do this and have it work:

1. In adb shell, type:
Code:
$ cat /proc/mtd

Make a note of what "recovery" is mounted to.

2. Type
Code:
adb pull /dev/mtd/mtd2
replacing "mtd2" with whatever "recovery" is mounted to.

3. There will be a file called "mtd2" or whatever you pulled, rename it to recovery.img (to make it easy to remember).

4. Go to Recovery Builder and upload your recovery.img. See if they can use it to build a new clockworkmod recovery for your phone.

5. If you're feeling bold, you *could* try flashing your recovery.img via fastboot.

Send from my Android

Upvote 0
Okay, the recovery.img is elsewhere on the Marauder, as I noted in the other thread with greyishere and terabyte128. Builder.clockworkmod.com seems to have created a credible build from the img that I uploaded, but I have no idea how to proceed. The phone comes standard with "Android system recovery 3e" which I can't for the life of me discover how to remove or replace with CW recovery. I tried to flash the "recovery.img" from the build and tried to update using the zip file in recovery mode. Nothing seems to work. I'm looking cautiously at the tools here.

Upvote 0
Quick note . . . here's the output when I use "apply update from external storage" from the 3e recovery menu using the zip file from the online builder:

--Install /external_sd/clockworkmod/android_device_PANTECH_ADR910L.zip
E:Can't find misc
Finding update package . . .
Opening update package . . .
Verifying update package . . .
E:signature verification failed
Installation aborted.
E:Can't find misc

Upvote 0
You could try flashing the recovery via fastboot- unpack the zip file, there will be a file there called recovery.img. To flash it, connect the phone and run the command:
Code:
fastboot flash recovery [path to]/recovery.img
On another note: the stock recovery won't flash anything that's not signed, that's why it's erroring out. And I don't think that the zip is flashable anyway.

What do you mean you tried to "flash it from the build?"

EDIT: Make sure you have your current recovery BACKED UP first! In case you get a bootloop or something.

Upvote 0
I tried the "fastboot flash recovery recovery.img" using the img in the link in the thread above from the builder site. One img "inputrecovery" seems to be the file I fed the database; the other (I assume) is the rebuilt img. The zip (I think) contains all the files before they mounted as an img. Of course, I might be wrong about all of this since the site is not user friendly and I'm working way above my general level of understanding.

Upvote 0
I made a huge mistake can i correct it. I decide to tweak some settings in the build.prop with editor found in Root System Toolbox Pro. Well I am not a hundred percent sure what was done because i left the phone and i came back to find my nephew playing with it. When i grabbed from him the last thing i saw on the screen before it reboot was build.prop editor. No i shows the pantech logo and even Android Is updating screen one but after it just shows black screen pull out keyboard lights are on and so are the front keys. But after long wait nothing happens with the phone. I battery pull it then go into factory hard reset still doesnt fix it. i can go into fastboot still. my question is can I use ratso's system dump to reinstall my phone. How would i do this

Upvote 0
Ty for posting that script works just as you said... picked up my marauder today thanks to this thread i knew it was rootable :>
had to apply the su update fixer to update su binaries but thats a simple thing to do
... installed busybox separately and just waiting for someone to figure out custom recovery, btw hope u got ur phone working again greyishere... kids gotta love 'em...

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones