• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Root I have some questions about rooting Optimus One??

antiother

Lurker
May 24, 2011
Hey what's up ^_^ I'm a super n00b deluxe to android. I thought I'd give the Optimus One P500 a go, and I'd dig to root. Now I've searched other posts before posing this, but this forum's gotten pretty large and I'm hearing a lot of mixed response about this. There are a couple thing's I like to know before I root.

1. So, I don't wanna brick my phone, that would be B.A.D. for obvious reasons. If it does happen, is there a way to undo this?? And what would the likely hood be this happening to me??

2. What would be the best most surefire way of rooting?? And the best program for that. z4root, gingerbreak, etc, or manual??

3. Are there any necessary things I should know or do BEFORE and AFTER I root like backing some stuff up or NOT updating something before or after??

4. I'm not sure if 2.3.4 is out for the Optimus One yet, so I'll probably ROM it. When the update does get released for the O1, will root access stay or will I have to re-root.

5. Will I be able to root the update to 2.3.4. I read something about not being able to root if the firmware has been updated, True/False??

If I have any more trouble I'll ask. I'm sorry it's so long but now that I'm over the Symbian thing there's just so much I want to know and the best way is to ask right ^_^ Thanks in advance!!

From what I see, there isn't much support in this area, a lot of questions go unanswered.

I'll have to gather information, write a guide or two and then take care of the stickied threads to make this place more user friendly. :)
I rooted a while ago with z4root. I installed custom recovery, did 3 nandroid backups, then I flashed the Void ROM, which sucked.. So I wanted to restore a nandroid backup to revert to my stock Froyo. None of them worked, so I had to flash some semi-stock firmware to make my phone look original, and then it got stuck in flight mode. I returned it to service provider and they gave me a new phone, and I'm not flashing anything anymore till I get another android device I can mess around with.

1. Maybe you can unbrick. It depends on how you bricked, but it's a mission. There's a very real chance that you will.

2. z4root worked the best. Simple, and you can unroot and re-root with it too. Simple one click root, unroot, and re-root.

3. Nandroid backup when you install custom recovery and PLEASE try restoring one of your Nandroid backups to make sure they work. They didn't in my case. And after you root do a Titanium backup as well.

4. You will have to re-root. With z4root, that's no problem.

5. You can root if ROM has been upgraded, just don't update the actual firmware. I heard somewhere you can revert, but this is an unconfirmed rumour and I don't think you can or it'll be a super mission deluxe.

MY ADVICE. Don't ROM if you don't have another android device to fall back on. I'm rooted tho. That seems pretty save with z4root. If something does go wrong, don't say you weren't warened.

Upvote 0
I rooted a while ago with z4root. I installed custom recovery, did 3 nandroid backups, then I flashed the Void ROM, which sucked.. So I wanted to restore a nandroid backup to revert to my stock Froyo. None of them worked, so I had to flash some semi-stock firmware to make my phone look original, and then it got stuck in flight mode. I returned it to service provider and they gave me a new phone, and I'm not flashing anything anymore till I get another android device I can mess around with.

1. Maybe you can unbrick. It depends on how you bricked, but it's a mission. There's a very real chance that you will.

2. z4root worked the best. Simple, and you can unroot and re-root with it too. Simple one click root, unroot, and re-root.

3. Nandroid backup when you install custom recovery and PLEASE try restoring one of your Nandroid backups to make sure they work. They didn't in my case. And after you root do a Titanium backup as well.

4. You will have to re-root. With z4root, that's no problem.

5. You can root if ROM has been upgraded, just don't update the actual firmware. I heard somewhere you can revert, but this is an unconfirmed rumour and I don't think you can or it'll be a super mission deluxe.

MY ADVICE. Don't ROM if you don't have another android device to fall back on. I'm rooted tho. That seems pretty save with z4root. If something does go wrong, don't say you weren't warened.

Thanks for the advice. I don't want to rush things since I don't know that much about this phone. I'd rather wait and really understand what the various possibilities are, what will work and what won't. ;)

Upvote 0
Gingerbreak will work - root your phone (worked on stocked ROM version 2.0 and on version 2.2.2). So give it a shoot it's really easy. Just read a guide beforehand.

Also for custom Recovery, the easier way is to install from Market an app called ROM manager and install ClockworkMod. Mik_os supports it and also andy with his ROM, but for void ROM I'm not so sure.
onion_msn_smileys-24.gif

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones