• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Root I have some questions about wimax Keys

I wanted to root my evo 4g but i have heard that people have lost their wimax keys while rooting. how do i backup my 4g keys? thanks

Just make a nandroid backup of your stock rom right after you root, (see this guide for all the info you need), there should be an option to check "wimax" as part of the backup.

Then keep several copies! (I keep a copy on my sd, on my computer, on a flash drive, and in my dropbox folder -- super-overkill, but I'm a bit paranoid :) )

Upvote 0
Well, they only lose their keys if they don't prepare. If you read the rooting guides, you'll see a lot of information about the keys.

When you first root you are just gaining SU privileges. Now, when you start flashing stuff, that's when you can screw things up.

You're going to want to re-read the guides, and make sure you understand the processes. Then you'll wanna make a nandroid backup of the Stock Rom and store that somewhere safe (SD card and computer are good places, maybe a bank vault...).

Okay, nearly there. Now you can flash away, get some rom action, kernels flowing, and maybe even an alternative recovery. I forget the name, but there's a new one floating around that has support for Amon Ra :)D) format and even clockwork nandroids (I tend to shy folks away from clockwork because past versions were a bit wonky, though, that has been resolved I believe. Basically, amon ra was recommened to me for that reason, so that's the reason I use).

So hopefully that'll get you on the right track.

Reactions: ocnbrze
Upvote 0
Ya know, I can't find my original nand... I've never effed up my wimax key nor any other key for that matter in all my 44 different roms let alone the couple hundred flashes of said roms during my rooting funtime. And in all honesty I don't know how you could even fark them up whilst flashing a rom anyways(which is a good thing as it turns out lol) so I guess I'd add to this discussion the ? about how you would fark them up, and what would you do if you did fark em up? Is there any standard set of keys for saving your ass? Or if you lose the original nand, can you flash on the original os and then do a nand with em in it to fix your mistake?

Upvote 0
Ya know, I can't find my original nand... I've never effed up my wimax key nor any other key for that matter in all my 44 different roms let alone the couple hundred flashes of said roms during my rooting funtime. And in all honesty I don't know how you could even fark them up whilst flashing a rom anyways(which is a good thing as it turns out lol) so I guess I'd add to this discussion the ? about how you would fark them up, and what would you do if you did fark em up? Is there any standard set of keys for saving your ass? Or if you lose the original nand, can you flash on the original os and then do a nand with em in it to fix your mistake?

My understanding is, once you looks your WiMax keys, they're gone; unfortunately there are no standard ones that can be moved from phone to phone.

Flashing radios seem to be a way you can lose them, so folks are usually directed to this thread:

WARNING: before you flash your radios, read this thread!!!!

(The warnings seem ominous, but as long as you have a backup you should be ok)

Upvote 0
:D

From my understanding, the WiMax keys are like a MAC address, specific to that physical WiMax adapter. I think the issue comes from the losing power or something like that while flashing radios. I don't think the Roms and Kernels have quite that access. Radios are scary. I believe radio updates are the only way to completely brick the phone too, that's the only thing I've seen so far.

I wonder though, if you buy a computer or something with wimax, if you can grep that to find the keys like in the root guide for 2.2, and then if you can write *that* key to the evo...? Just thinking out loud here.

Reactions: ocnbrze
Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones