1. Download our Official Android App: Forums for Android!

General I have the phone (!), now what?

Discussion in 'Android Devices' started by Choirgirl21, May 12, 2011.

1. Choirgirl21

Choirgirl21 Newbie
    None

May 12, 2011
    So I FINALLY got my first smartphone last night. I was really familiar with the iphone from using ex-DBF's a while back, but decided I wanted to opt for a Droid and so far I am loving the Inc2. Very intuitive and easy to use.

So my question for you is now what? What apps should I download? What tricks do I need to know? Should I consider insurance? What accessories are must haves or bonuses?

Educate me. :)

(I did download the apps for FB, Pandora, and Google Maps as soon as I got the phone and have figured out how to access my gmail and gchat). :)

Advertisement

2. valorian

valorian Android Expert
    None

Feb 15, 2011
    Male
    Northern Illinois
    The best way to enjoy a smartphone is to ask yourself "What do I want to use my smartphone for?". When I got my first smartphone (a BlackBerry, don't own an Android yet), I though about my interests. I then started looking for apps for the things I'm interested in. Once you know what you want to be able to do with your Smartphone start searching the Market Place for apps.

3. ACD168

ACD168 Android Expert
    None

Apr 30, 2010
    wait months for root.

4. Roll-Tide

Roll-Tide Android Enthusiast
    None

Mar 9, 2010
    that's brilliant advice for a beginner, I'm sure she's thankful :rolleyes:

5. Roll-Tide

Roll-Tide Android Enthusiast
    None

Mar 9, 2010
    One of the first things I did was get a different keyboard....the HTC keyboard isn't bad, but for me the SmartKeyboardPro works better and has plenty of customization options.

Other apps I'd recommend would be:
    1-ShopSavvy (barcode scanner to compare prices)
    2-iheartradio (local channels plus others to choose from)
    3-Facebook (i see you have that one)
    4-Engadget (keep up to date on tech stuff)
    5-System Info Widget (shows battery percentage, signal strength, etc.)

Pandora is awesome...on iOS, not android. On my iPhone, it sounded like a CD even when plugged into the jack in my truck...on android, it sounds like total crap.

6. John58543

John58543 Android Enthusiast
    None

Mar 27, 2010
    West Texas
    Ha! +1

7. Kori_Tamashii

Kori_Tamashii Android Enthusiast
    None

May 4, 2010
    Being insane is a full time job.
    La Vista, NE
    I personally use SwiftKey Keyboard. I'm on a Beta. LOVE IT.

AstridTask - good to-do list manager
    Google Sky Map - a nerdy little app for stargazers
    Laputa - a book reader, with lots of free books to choose from
    SMS Popup - allows for an sms popup, like the title suggests
    Skyfire - web browser. not bad.

8. AliceBToklas

AliceBToklas Member
    None

May 11, 2011
    IT
    NC
    The advice about 'what do you want/need from your phone' is crucial IMO. My needs change depending on my situation. When I was consulting having a time sheet app was critical. During ski season I want apps related to that. You get the idea.

You can browse the market and the Apps section on this site to get some ideas. Everyone has their favorites but I've found most of the default apps to be just fine for me. I hate the VZW/HTC bloatware but it's mostly harmless.

Otherwise, play around with the phone and get to know it. You may find something none of us have thought about.

9. BCM

BCM Well-Known Member
    None

Oct 8, 2009
    Male
    Custom Cue Maker
    Arizona
    Don't forget about using the Market online. You'll be able to download apps to your phone without connecting it to the computer.

10. cobracommand0

cobracommand0 Lurker
    None

May 12, 2011
    Holy Vestibule of Scrolls
    Definitely play with the phone until you get comfortable with it; change the themes/settings, add/delete widgets, and change the interface until it suits YOUR needs. If you mess something up, you can always do a factory reset =P

If you have time on your hands, go watch the keynote for the first day of Google I/O: (YouTube - Google I/O 2011: Keynote Day One). It will most likely be information overload, but you can get excited about all the new features that will be available to an Android device. Google also highlights a number of good apps that they are using on their phones.

Here's a summary of apps that I wrote for someone else, based on the suggestions during the keynote:

Google Books: works fantastic with integrated interface inside the Android Market

Android Market Movies: Looks freaking awesome, they haven't made a phone app yet.

Google Buzz: Nice integration with Buzz from the phone, also with a nice widget. If you don't use Google Buzz this one is kinda worthless =P

Google Shopper: Basically scans any barcode and searches for the online price of an item. Also good for a quick look up type thing with books/movies/whatever. I think I might delete barcode scanner after finding this one.

Flixster: This one was suggested during the keynote, I really like that it is tied into Rotten Tomatoes for reviews and stuff.

Google Music: Google launched their music cloud (can't purchase stuff atm). I really like the app that is available right now, also go to music.google.com to sign up for the beta version for the online portion.

Google Docs: Kinda weird interface, but it works pretty well. The editing is kinda hard to figure out but once you do it is definitely usable. The included office suite that ships with the phone is rubbish, so this fills a nice gap.

Also, Google Goggles is pretty fun to play with, I just downloaded that one today on a whim..

11. omxmmn

omxmmn Newbie
    None

Apr 19, 2011
    North Carolina

The android market is online too? (new to android)

12. AliceBToklas

AliceBToklas Member
    None

May 11, 2011
    IT
    NC
    Indeed. If you login with the same account on your phone you can install apps from the web site.

https://market.android.com/

omxmmn likes this.
  13. Choirgirl21

Choirgirl21 Newbie
    None

May 12, 2011
    Thanks everyone for the feedback so far. My needs for the phone are pretty basic - checking email, FB, a few msg boards I'm on regularly, that sort of thing. I'm also really excited about FINALLY having google maps and the navigation tool. I tested that out this morning by having it navigate me to work and it went swimmingly. :p

Other than that, I'm not much into games so am mostly looking for apps to do with music, podcasts, food, wine, & restaurants (especially local food) and anything that will make life easy while out on the road, whether it be near home or while I'm away (like the gas buddy app for instance). I'm in interested in the book app that was mentioned as well although it's hard to imagine reading much on this tiny screen. Interests aside, I figured there were some apps that everyone found useful and was figuring those would get suggested - not necessarily ones that were specific to my interests (although I'm happy to have those).

But, I'm also curious about accessories, insurance, that sort of thing. Basically, I guess I'm looking for any advice specific to a smartphone. I'm really not technologically impaired, I swear, but prior to this I didn't even have a headset for my phone! You get the idea? ;)

ETA: I am still reading through the threads in the other forums as well, and have read most of the Inc2 threads already for ideas - I managed to order 2 cases for my phone as a result so at least that's something. :) And I did figure out how to edit my main screen and have added direct links to apps and bookmarked sites and moved things around a bit to make them more accessible. So I'm getting there...

14. valorian

valorian Android Expert
    None

Feb 15, 2011
    Male
    Northern Illinois
    For this stuff I would recommend you check out Poynt. A great app for finding this stuff while traveling.

15. spatenfloot

spatenfloot Newbie
    None

May 13, 2011
    Power Amp is a really good music player for mp3s.

16. stridr69

stridr69 Newbie
    None

Dec 30, 2010
    Yelp is good also for local searches. AroundMe=same thing. Dropbox..handy as heck to load documents from you computer to your phone, I use it all the time. GoogleGoggles=a fun app using your camera.

But...get insurance. I pay $5.30 a month. Well worth it, as these phone are expensive to replace.

Have fun! :D