• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Root I hid root with ota root keeper and took 4.2.2 ota. Install failed

Nexus devices need the stock recovery installed in order to install the ota. Part of the script in the zip file is a patch of the stock recovery. If you want to install the ota, you'll need to install the stock recovery again, and then fastboot boot into twrp and flash the ota.

I believe if you manually download the zip file from the google servers it can be flashed from TWRP ;)

Upvote 0
I just reflashed twrp through goo manager afterwards.
Seems like a new annoyance. Is the 4.2.2 update worth it? When is klp coming.
Also this time the ota nag hasn't come back.
The last two or three times I didn't have to reflash stock recovery.
I just hid root and took the ota.

Upvote 0
I just reflashed twrp through goo manager afterwards.
Seems like a new annoyance. Is the 4.2.2 update worth it? When is klp coming.
Also this time the ota nag hasn't come back.
The last two or three times I didn't have to reflash stock recovery.
I just hid root and took the ota.
Personally, I wouldn't take the ota. Just flash a custom ROM. They'll have the updates baked in hours to a few days after the source is released, sjd you don't have to worry about what recovery you have.

Is 4.2.2 worth it? Depends

When's klp coming? Mid may should be the next release. :D

Upvote 0
The reason I'm asking is because with the ota with root hidden I haven't had to reroot. Rerooting is the annoying part. When the ota failed it dropped me in twrp. What directory does the nexus 7 store the ota flashing file in again? I don't believe if I hide root with ota root keeper and use twrp to flash it it will retain root. I do have the paid Supersu but the last time I tried to keep root with it it failed and I had to reroot.
How do I reflash stock recovery? The ota used to do it for me and I'd reflash twrp afterwards. Or is there another way to retain root when flashing the zip through twrp? Also when I take the Ota I don't have to reinstall my apps and reset up my tablet.Also Will using the zip wipe everything so I have to backup everything and set it up all over again?

Upvote 0
Lot of questions :)

Before taking the OTA I reflashed stock recovery using the same Wugs toolkit I had used to root the Nexus 7 in the first place, and I protected root using OTA Rootkeeper. I didn't bother to hide root before taking the OTA, and a simple one-click in OTA Rootkeeper restored root perfectly afterwards. I use the free version of SuperSU installed from the Play store in case it matters.

Upvote 0
Its failing the system checks still for some reason. What version are you currently on and what are you trying to install?

I may have time after lunch to put something together for you.

Also, WIFI or 3G model?

No worries. I ended up flashing a stock rooted ROM, only clearing caches. I'm golden, for now.

Thanks though.

Upvote 0
The reason I'm asking is because with the ota with root hidden I haven't had to reroot. Rerooting is the annoying part.
The re-rooting process should only take a minute or 2 with the toolkit. Easy as pie. You can even do it manually in under 5 mins.

When the ota failed it dropped me in twrp. What directory does the nexus 7 store the ota flashing file in again? I don't believe if I hide root with ota root keeper and use twrp to flash it it will retain root. I do have the paid Supersu but the last time I tried to keep root with it it failed and I had to reroot.
I don't ever try to retain root, so I don't have the answers to these questions :(
How do I reflash stock recovery?The ota used to do it for me and I'd reflash twrp afterwards.
I'll try to find you a download link

Or is there another way to retain root when flashing the zip through twrp?
As I mentioned above, retaining root is never a priority for me. I can't help you here.

Also when I take the Ota I don't have to reinstall my apps and reset up my tablet.Also Will using the zip wipe everything so I have to backup everything and set it up all over again?
You will not lose data unless you wipe it. This is part of the reason why I would suggest getting on a custom ROM such as cm10.1. They even have it setup to automatically check for and download ROM updates just as if it were an OTA. And custom ROMS are always rooted, so you never have to fiddle with being on the stock recovery or re-rooting after the update

Upvote 0
It sucks that the ota doesn't automatically do it anymore. I was getting used to hiding root and taking otas. I also forgot the directory nexus 7 saves the ota file in. Hope future otas overwrite stock recovery. It allowed me to take otas without connecting to a PC or rerooting. Also the update nag is gone. How do I get it back if I flash stock recovery?

Upvote 0
It sucks that the ota doesn't automatically do it anymore. I was getting used to hiding root and taking otas. I also forgot the directory nexus 7 saves the ota file in. Hope future otas overwrite stock recovery. It allowed me to take otas without connecting to a PC or rerooting. Also the update nag is gone. How do I get it back if I flash stock recovery?

You should be able to flash back custom recovery through fastboot once you take the ota.

Upvote 0
I can easily do that with goo manager.
I can no longer hide root with root keeper and just take the ota.
I liked updating without connecting to a PC or having to reroot.
Does anyone here know the ota file location on n7 so I can flash it?
Also what version of wugs will let me flash stock recovery in order to take the ota? Sorry I meant overwrite the custom recovery. After the ota failed and left me in twrp I rebooted and nothing updated. Now I can't get the ota back.

Upvote 0
Can someone please give me a step by step using Wugs(1.6.3) on how to update to 4.2.2. Some say download the zip and flash in TWRP and others say you must reflash to stock. I'm stock, rooted and ready to roll with a little help from my friends, Please.
Update for all those that have helped. I tried just flashing the zip in TWRP...zip failed. Tried using Wugs and did a restore stock recovery and that did a bunch of stuff, God only knows what and after that I tried to flash the update zip in TWRP again with the same result. I guess I'll try flash stock and unroot later. Can't blame and old guy for tyring. Later, and yeah Thanks again.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones