• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

I hope you didn't invest in Cyanogen...

It's just Cyanogen OS, the commercial arm, so if you're running a community build of CyanogenMod, you'll be fine. If you have a device that shipped with Cyanogen installed, don't expect updates any time soon....

Android Police ran a pretty good article a few weeks back where Kondik basically said he started the company with the wrong people - http://www.androidpolice.com/2016/1...ailure-cyanogenmod-to-reorganize-and-regroup/

I imagine they started with the best intentions, but that Kirt guy seems like a bit of a squeb and kinda ruined things for them (although I'm sure there's a lot more to it than that).

Upvote 0
Last edited:
Upvote 0
Upvote 0
That's sad. What are the options for us with devices that no longer receive official updates e.g. my Nexus 5?
Surely a Nexus 5 doesn't have too much to worry about? There will be other AOSP development for those devices. It's those with devices with less community support who will be more affected.

Upvote 0
From what I've seen on various social media posts, most of the code for devices has been migrated over to the Lineage Gerrit/GitHub so they just need device maintainers to pick things up from there.

There's already a Lineage build available for the LG G4 so I don't expect Nexus devices will be waiting too long.

Reactions: Rxpert83 and Hadron
Upvote 0
Cyanogen gave me a bad taste in my mouth around the same time they starting saying they were going to "put a bullet in Googles head". As a company, they were all bravado without any real plan it seemed.

Cyanogenmod will bounce back/continue on in another form, as open source solutions tend to. I can't say I'm sad about the company. They did it to themselves.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones