• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Root I just don't get a majority of these roms...

H

Hand76

I downloaded the 8-1 New_Leak (deodexed) when it first came out and have installed multiple patches and fixes for it along the way, added Hulu + flashplayer, removed all the bloatware and have the rom themed and overcoked the way I want getting 1445+ Quad scores.

Now in the last week I have tried: Sky Raiders with Sense, Sky Raiders Vanillia, Franken Rom B5, and 1 other. All of these roms are great (props to the cooks) but they all do the same exact thing as what I have already...Except for Vanilla having a different look and being just that, Vanilla.

Someone asked on another board why there are roms (like Frankenrom) with Evo framework, and the answer was it would run faster. Well after setting up Frankenrom B5 the same as I had my past rom my scores for Quad, Linpack, are the exact same, I don't see any difference in performance or anything.

I guess these roms are great for someone just starting that doesn't feel like customizing the New_Leak on their own but I just wonder if the future is going to bring roms that really start standing out from one another and do something different than what we have already.

BTW: This thread is not a knock on anyone or anything I have the greatest respect and apprecation for guys like Adrynalyne who have helped me more than once. This is more or less a question on where roms are now and what the future holds.

well i'll tell you a big benefit of frankenrom: you can load evo themes which are pretty plentiful and pretty cool:) but with that said i am still looking forward to new roms that bring new features, i guess we'll just have to wait and see.

Only problem is the theme I am using doesn't look right in Frankenrom. So that was actually a negative for me. :(

The taskbar icons didn't look right, maybe the developer of the theme will fix it or get it to work with Frankenrom/Evo but I dunno.

Upvote 0
you say the theme but there are many to choose from. i have tried manup's theme, which i liked but i tried several others too. riptide9's theme and another theme called evoelite i believe are both sweet. i'm not sure what doesn't look right i think they look pretty good. there are a few drawbacks like internal not mounting to your computer but i think adrynalyne has this fixed and i'm hoping he will release a fix soon.

cap201008221811.jpg

cap201008211243.jpg

Upvote 0
I am kinda in the same situation you are. Ive tried a lot of different roms and the only thing I like about the roms are the themes. Mainly the only thing I like is the notification bar and custom icons.

And also Hulu is a decent feature to show off but I have never really used it.

Btw what theme is that there? And where are the grey boxes you speak of?

Upvote 0
I kind of look at it like this.

If you have the means of tweaking, by all means, do it.

If you want someone else to do it for you, try a rom.

As it stands, I will add patches to make a "vanilla" rom, but the reality of it is, CM6 is far superior for that. As such, I am not really messing with that anymore.

Third Wave and Frankenrom serve two different groups:

Those that want DI themes, and don't want to tweak it themselves.

and

those who want Evo themes, and not end up in a reboot loop. :D

Upvote 0
I kind of look at it like this.

If you have the means of tweaking, by all means, do it.

If you want someone else to do it for you, try a rom.

True I think that pretty much sums it up. Pretty much all the tweaking I have done I learned from you over the last month or so.

And since I am already into my rant I also want to throw out that I hate roms (not yours Adrynalyne) that come installed with 15-20+ apps that I could easily download on my own from the market. I just find it kinda insulting that someone else is going to tell me what I should be using. And than go ahead and list all those apps included as if they are exclusive features or something...

...Could also do without that. :p I just want a rom doing something different and better than what I have already and comes as a clean slate.

Upvote 0
i agree about all the roms...i really appreciate everything these developers do because i like messing with my phone...but having said that i have tried 3 or 4 different roms and since i like launcher pro so much, all of those roms ended up looking the exact same...i am using cyanogen right now because i like vanilla and this is the most customizable rom....i guess themes are the main things that are different with the roms but for the most part they seem the same

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones