• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

I just gave up on Face Unlock

Ytram

Android Enthusiast
Oct 11, 2011
I turned Face Unlock on when I first got my phone, and I've finally decided to turn it back off. I wasn't doing it for security, but for the "cool" factor, and also because it was actually more convenient when it worked. I've spent a lot of time trying to "train" the feature by using the "Improve Face Unlock" process to recognize my face in different lighting conditions and with/without my glasses on. Despite that, it still doesn't work 90% of the time, and I'm stuck with using the pattern unlock.

Since that's the case, I'm going to wait and see if they release any improvements and try again later. Other than that, I'm loving this phone and this new OS!

Is anyone else having a good experience with this feature?

mine worked ok, i would say unless i was in weird light it was fast and worked pretty consitantly, it was really cool. that being said i turned it off. i don't wear a watch since i always have a cell phone with me and sometimes i just want to see the time. with the face unlock i had to look at the phone directly and unlock it. i just want to tap the power button realy fast, see the time and tap it off again.

Upvote 0
i don't wear a watch since i always have a cell phone with me and sometimes i just want to see the time. with the face unlock i had to look at the phone directly and unlock it. i just want to tap the power button realy fast, see the time and tap it off again.

I'm confused - the time is displayed on a big font right on the face unlock screen. Why did you have to unlock it to see the time?

Face unlock works damn well for me but I don't really use it since it's both not as secure as a PIN/pattern, and not as quick as the swipe to unlock.

Upvote 0
I enjoyed the novelty of this feature, but turned it off pretty quick. I realized how many angles I turn my phone on from -- car, desk, etc. -- where I don't come close to looking at the screen that way.

In fact, I turned off the slide lock, too. I don't see the point of it.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones