1. Download our Official Android App: Forums for Android!

I just got my Boost Mobile Galaxy s2...

Discussion in 'Android Devices' started by Slayer72, Jan 23, 2014.

1. Slayer72

Slayer72 Android Expert

Dec 22, 2011
    Male
    Troy NY
    Hello everyone, I just got my Boost s2 earlier and have made my venture over to this forum, I'm not new to rooting and romming or modding at all, I've had several different phones, I was last in the Galaxy Rush forum and currently have a Rom out for it. When I got my s2 earlier it still had ICS 4.0.4 on it, was thinking about putting rwilco12's GC01 full restore on it to check JB out before I get into putting CWM on it and then checking out VanirAOSP 4.4.2 with the Gapps, can anyone give me any advice as to what they think along those lines??

I look forward to working with you guys on the further development of this nice phone and do welcome any helpful suggestions, thanks in advance :D

Advertisement

2. Codegerm

Codegerm Android Expert
    None

Jul 13, 2011
    Male
    Commercial service Technician for ADT
    Gainesville, FL
    Welcome to the group. I do recommend moving up to JB. It runs so much better than ICS on this phone. One thing to note, on this phone, is recovery is tied to the kernel. When you change the kernel you change the recovery. That is a little annoying, but once expected, it is not bad to deal with.

Our phones are the same phone as the Epic 4g Touch, and that is the section for it on XDA. Other S2 phones have different hardware, so don't flash a ROM meant for the international S2..

3. Slayer72

Slayer72 Android Expert

Dec 22, 2011
    Male
    Troy NY
    Thanks Codegerm, (nice name btw lol) I flashed rooted JB GC01 One-Click from Rwilco12's Android repository, now I'm looking to put CWM on my s2, do I just flash the EL26 GB kernel that has CWM, or do I also need to flash a JB modem as well afterwards?? I'm looking to check out the VanirAOSP 4.4.2 Rom that they have out there but not exactly sure with the order of what to do before attempting to flash that Rom, thanks for all your help man... :)

4. gkak

gkak Well-Known Member
    None

Nov 8, 2011
    Welcome slayer... long time since the TU themeing days!

you should use EL26 whenever flashing a new rom. the rom usually will come with a kernel that also includes a recovery. if u want to back up a rom use the kernel/recovery it came with. keep a copy of the kernel/recovery for that rom stored somewhere so can restore if u change roms.
    modems can be flashed at any time (but either EL26 or EL29 cant flash modems, cant remember which) u should use JB modem for any JB based rom (e.g. project x) and ICS modem for AOSP based roms.
    hope it all makes sense...
    the order I usually use:
    flash EL26, reboot to recovery
    flash jb format all,wipe data/factory restore, wipe cache, wipe dalvik, flash new rom (and gapps if not included with rom), reboot to recovery (which will be the recovery included with the rom/kernel)
    flash modem
    reboot
    profit

check out project x rom , I think u'll like it

5. Slayer72

Slayer72 Android Expert

Dec 22, 2011
    Male
    Troy NY
    Lol hey bro!! Yeah it has been a long time since our theming days on the Transform Ultra, that was an awesome little phone, but not quite as awesome as this s2 lol. I'm running Project X 3.9 right now and it is the bomb diggity :D

I'm trying to figure out what the problem is with Villumanati not wanting to boot, this is the steps I did:

Flashed EL29 Direct Boot
    Flashed CM10.2 (To have compatible recovery)
    Let CM10.2 boot
    Rebooted into Recovery
    Wiped Data/Factory Reset
    Cleared cache & Dalvik-Cache
    Flashed Villuminati
    Flashed FL24.zip (ICS Modem)
    Rebooted into Recovery (Villuminati's Recovery)
    Wiped Data/Factory Reset
    Cleared Cache & Dalvik-Cache
    Reboot to System

For some reason it sits on the "Samsung Galaxy sII" screen and won't continue to boot the rest of the way up. Any advice or suggestions you could offer??

Nice to make contact with you again bro, you can reach me quicker on Hangouts by adding me with: jrkupel1972@gmail.com :D :smokingsomb: :car:

6. Codegerm

Codegerm Android Expert
    None

Jul 13, 2011
    Male
    Commercial service Technician for ADT
    Gainesville, FL
    I believe it is EL29 that has issues with modems. You should be able to do the modem on EL26 or even the recovery kernel for Touchwiz JB. As for going to CM 11, from el29 direct boot, flash the hood pope ROM and then just reboot recovery (not to the ROM's normal boot), and then do all of the CM11 iand gapps install from the recovery for the Hood Pope ROM.

The JB modems are only compatible with the Touch Wiz JB. When AOSP JB came out there were only ICS modems, so that is what they were made to work with.

Slayer72 likes this.
  7. Slayer72

Slayer72 Android Expert

Dec 22, 2011
    Male
    Troy NY
    Ok thanks man, I'm running Mokee CM11 KitKat 4.4.2 at the moment and it's pretty nice :)