1. Check out our companion app, Forums for Android! Download from Google Play

I just realized how small 7" is...

Discussion in 'Android Devices' started by MdX MaxX, Sep 8, 2010.

1. MdX MaxX

MdX MaxX Active Member

Aug 15, 2010
    I just realized that the Samsung Galaxy Tab is about the size of a DVD case. I took the specs from the Samsung website and measured out a DVD case, and the DVD case was a pretty accurate comparison. I didn't expect a 7" tablet to be so small.

How do you guys feel about this? For me, an Android tablet (or pretty much any tablet) is mostly about productivity. I don't think 7" provides much more space to work with than today's 4.3" smartphones.

Advertisement

2. Martimus

Martimus One bite at a time...

Jul 9, 2010
    Male
    Engineer
    'neath a cactus
    To give you a perspective on size the screen on my Droid X is approximately 3 3/4-inches by 2 1/4-inches. The screen on my Witstech A81-E tablet is approximately 6-inches x 3 5/8-inches.

Personally I find some things (PDF files and text editing) easier to deal with on the tablet and other things easier to deal with on the Droid X (phone and games). When the new crop of 10-inch Android tablets comes out I will likely consider investing in one because the A81-E isn't optimally sized for me to use for note taking.

3. SporkLover

SporkLover Well-Known Member

May 9, 2010
    Just remember that is the screen size! For me the tablet would be more for a portable media player and internet browsing on the go than productivity, 7inches would be acceptable, 10inches preferable.

4. Martimus

Jul 9, 2010
    Male
    Engineer
    'neath a cactus
    Did you have to phrase it quite that way?? :eek: As my better half would say that leaves the door wide open for a "typical male response"...

5. nb_mitch

nb_mitch Well-Known Member

May 28, 2010
    Male
    DB2 DBA
    Florida
    We all know size doesn't matter. Mr Jobs says 3.5 inches is the prefect size :thinking:

6. Martimus

Jul 9, 2010
    Male
    Engineer
    'neath a cactus
    Here's a more graphic comparison of my A81-E tablet and the Droid X:

[​IMG]
    Uploaded with ImageShack.us

7. Catfish

Catfish Well-Known Member

oh no... let's not get more graphic than this thread already has gotten. :D

8. darndot

darndot Member

Jul 12, 2010
    Southern Illinois
    I am finding that the A81-E is to small for my taste. I am use to a 10.1 Netbook for most of my surfing. I do believe that my tablet is great for as e-reader, and some very light surfing.
    I would't buy another one until the 10 inch tablets can run Gingerbread.

9. irishpride

irishpride Well-Known Member

Mar 2, 2010
    Emerald City
    Does the A81-E have a capacitive or resistive screen? I saw two different sites in which on said it had capacitive, the other resistive.

EDIT: Nevermind, just saw the answer on a previous post.

10. jdk33

jdk33 Well-Known Member

Jul 16, 2010
    Flo Rida
    That's what she said!

That's what she said!

My work here is done.

11. badankles

badankles Well-Known Member

Jul 19, 2010
    USA
    Portability + multi-touch for pinch and zoom makes the 7"perfect. But I think I'm gonna wait as I currently have samsung epic. The next gen of tablets will be dual core or better with gingerbread.

12. Cobravision

Cobravision Well-Known Member

Jul 8, 2010
    I prefer the 7" simply because I can hold it in one hand. My biggest complaint with the iPad is that it's just too big and bulky to be a portable game/media/ebook device.

As for productivity -- I'll leave that to my desktop. I want a tablet because it's a toy, not because it's productive.