• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

I just received my Otterbox case for my Optimus V and I have a couple issues...

garybeck

Android Enthusiast
Apr 19, 2011
After reading reviews I decided to go for the Otterbox case for my Optimus. the main reason was, I read how a few people have noticed dust on the inside of their screen and it probably came in through one of the ports, and the Otterbox was the only one I could find that keeps the ports covered.

I just opened the package and put my Optimus in the case. It fit nicely but I have a couple issues here.

Note: this is the "Commuter series". I'm not sure if this there are other Otterbox cases available for the Optimus.

First, the silicone (inside) protector does not align with the sdram port properly. I assume they were trying to leave a hole there, since there is already a door on the port. But the hole is not properly aligned with the door/port. So I essentially will have to remove both the plastic outer cover and the inner silicone cover to get to the memory card slot. Not a big issue because I don't plan on moving that thing around much.

There is also an extra hole in the silicone portion, on the left side, above the sdram door, where there is nothing on the device that needs a hole. This makes me thing the case was actually made for a different device.

Second, I was surprised when I found that there is nothing covering the 4 main buttons on the top. It's my understanding that any button is a potential place for moisture, dust, even a piece of hair, to get in there. Even on the package cover, the drawing of the product shows it covering the 4 buttons, but the actual product doesn't match the drawing. I've seen other cases that cover these buttons (not for Optimus though). I wonder why they chose not to cover these buttons (and why the packaging doesn't match the product). Also the blurb on the back says "port and button covers." Needless to say I'm a little disappointed that the 4 buttons are not covered.

Looking closer at the packaging it says it's for the S and U, and it doesn't mention the V. I think they are the same exterior, correct? Is it possible they sent me the wrong one?

So I am wondering if anyone here knows:

-- Is the commuter series the only one that Otterbox makes for the Optimus V? Is there another model that covers the front buttons?

-- did they possibly send me the wrong model? if anyone out there has one, does the hole in the silicone properly align with the sdram door? properly?

-- Is there any other brand besides otterbox that makes a good case that covers ALL the ports AND buttons?

thanks
gary

^^

Answers:
You have the correct case. OtterBox only makes the commuter case, which is for the Optimus S/U/V. There is no other OB case that covers the front 4 main buttons.

They did not send you the wrong model, the microsd slot does not line up on my case either. I don't swap card often, so not a concern and the silicon layers slips off easily.

I do not know of any other cases that cover the 4 front main button.
--
Comments:
If you are adamant about covering the 4 main buttons, you could try using some tape or similar (or maybe saran wrap) to cover them, then put the silicone and plastic covers on. I personally like that they are not covered and am not worries about dust ingress. The dust mostly comes in from the ports.

I like having the main 4 buttons exposed as they are the most used buttons and like the tactile feel of them.

All things considered, I think this is probably the best available case for the Optimus.

Good luck

Upvote 0
^^

--
Comments:
If you are adamant about covering the 4 main buttons, you could try using some tape or similar (or maybe saran wrap) to cover them, then put the silicone and plastic covers on. I personally like that they are not covered and am not worries about dust ingress. The dust mostly comes in from the ports.

I like having the main 4 buttons exposed as they are the most used buttons and like the tactile feel of them.

thanks Overboard,
funny you should mention that... I still have yet to remove the plastic protector that covers the bottom half of the front buttons when the device was new. I guess I'll just leave it on there.
I hear you like the tactile feel of the front buttons, but actually reason I wanted them covered is because I actually find the covered buttons are easier to find and press. For example the power button on the top -- once I got my otter box on there, it's so much easier to find and press now. Same as the ones on the side, although I honestly don't even know what they're for yet. I think one is for the camera but I just use other ways to get to the camera. Maybe now that the button is easier to press I'll start using it :)

overall, I this is a nice case. Although I agree as some others have said, it's a bit smooth/slippery. And I'd love to have one with the buttons covered on the front. besides that, it's the only one I could find that covers the ports and to me that is really important.

thanks again

Upvote 0
The uSD slot is slightly covered on mine as well. I haven't needed to get ay my uSD card since I got my 8gb. If you really need to be swapping a lot, take an exacto knife and trim it. The hard plastic case covers it, so no one will see it.

As mentioned, the case is made for the Optimus *, when I ordered mine it was only listed as the S. But by the time I got the shipping issues fixed with mine it was just for the Optimus line of android phones.

I'd love to see an Otterbox defender series for the Optimus.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones