1. Are you ready for the Galaxy S20? Here is everything we know so far!

I just replaced the keyboard

Discussion in 'Android Devices' started by AndroidsOfTara, May 19, 2011.

1. AndroidsOfTara

AndroidsOfTara Android Enthusiast

I just successfully replaced my Droid's bubbly keyboard that's been getting more and more difficult to use.

I have one of the early Droids that came with the bubbly or raised keyboard that everyone seemed to want at one time because of being easier to feel the individual keys.

It was nice and easy to type on for about a year, but it eventually became very hard to use as it became separated from the layer below. I finally got sick of it and decided to replace it.

Here's the instructions:

Stilbruch: HOW TO: Replace/Repair the hardware keyboard of your Motorola Droid / Milestone

And here's where I got it (and two "spudgers" separately):

Motorola Droid A855 OEM Keyboard Replacement

There's also a few people on eBay who have them, but they're in Hong Kong and will take much longer to ship than the above place.

The hardest part was getting the old keyboard off without damaging the layer below with the actual "keys". It was also quite tedious removing the old glue.

It seems to be working find and looks great, so I'm happy!

johnlgalt and AngryHatter like this.

1. Download the Forums for Android™ app!

Download

2. USHwy129

USHwy129 Member

Thanks for the info, my wife still has an OG Droid and I just said the other day "hey babe isn't this jacked up keyboard driving you nuts??" She didn't seem too bothered by it but then the "s" key completely fell off...women :D

3. AndroidsOfTara

AndroidsOfTara Android Enthusiast

Update....

The replacement keyboard is bubbling up and becoming harder to use the same way the original did. I think it's probably due to increased heat from overclocking.

I won't be replacing it again as I'm beyond ready to retire this OG Droid for the Galaxy Nexus... if only VZW would release the thing!

4. vey

vey Member

I did mine a few weeks ago. The instructions are very good. The first corner I lifted brought up the pink layer except it isn't pink on the bottom of it, so I wondered if the instructions were correct. I stopped and tried a different corner and then I saw how things are supposed to be, just as the pictures indicate.

Doesn't help me much though since my fingers are still too big. Best "keyboard" I have found so far is Thick Fingers. If someone has a better idea, I am all ears.

Motorola Droid Forum

The Motorola Droid release date was November 2009. Features and Specs include a 3.7" inch screen, 5MP camera, 256GB RAM, processor, and 1400mAh battery.

November 2009
Release Date
Reviews