• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

I keep upsetting Kate.

M

Member2035261

Over the last few days if I did something she wasn't expecting she has started saying "OK" and continues to tell me what I should do next.

I mean, I have a right to change my mind - don't I?

Today I swear her "OK"s seem to sound harsher and more critical, but what really makes me think we're heading for the rocks is the way she now adds extra unnecessary OK"s continuously between sentences, even though I was obeying her latest wish and hadn't strayed again.

Is it HER issue, not mine? Nothing I want to do seems to be good enough. I have just as much experience and knowledge as her. More, in my view.
We can't go on like this.

I'm afraid if I dump her and find somebody else, perhaps a man even, they might be just the same.

Has anyone else experienced this recently?
Any comments or advice?
After all these years I will be heartbroken, to be honest.

Kate is British, but you may have met her.
What's the name of your Google Maps voice?
Has he or she started saying "Ohh ...... Kkayee ...." now instead of just the newly added 'OK', when you don't obey a turn. Getting more flippant every day, I swear she is. Am I imagining it? Do you think you may have to find another Maps voice too?
What about starting a support group?

Last edited by a moderator:
Over the last few days if I did something she wasn't expecting she has started saying "OK" and continues to tell me what I should do next.

I mean, I have a right to change my mind - don't I?

Today I swear her "OK"s seem to sound harsher and more critical, but what really makes me think we're heading for the rocks is the way she now adds extra unnecessary OK"s continuously between sentences, even though I was obeying her latest wish and hadn't strayed again.

Is it HER issue, not mine? Nothing I want to do seems to be good enough. I have just as much experience and knowledge as her. More, in my view.
We can't go on like this.

I'm afraid if I dump her and find somebody else, perhaps a man even, they might be just the same.

Has anyone else experienced this recently?
Any comments or advice?
After all these years I will be heartbroken, to be honest.

Kate is British, but you may have met her.
What's the name of your Google Maps voice?
Has he or she started saying "Ohh ...... Kkayee ...." now instead of just the newly added 'OK', when you don't obey a turn. Getting more flippant every day, I swear she is. Am I imagining it? Do you think you may have to find another Maps voice too?
What about starting a support group?

You may get some type of response on this subject but from my shear observation the status quo wouldn't participate in such activities because they didn't think of it first. But if it's any consolation I'm in, so where do we start?:D

Last edited:
Reactions: Member2035261
Upvote 0
[TL, DR but if you're bored . ]

Hmm. I just discovered a few things, so need to experiment a little.

First off though, my apologies for screwing my original thread title and pasting a first OP draft without checking.
I was sitting in a cinema seat waiting for the main feature with my phone screen dimmed, trying to post the thread, so Autocorrect suckered me with "updating" instead of "upsetting". Lesson for us all. You won't discover your late night mistake for hours.

I downloaded Waze again recently to drive a former employer to Silverstone for the Grand Prix. I still hated it, and switched back to Maps on the route back.

Let's get this clear. I'm talking about MY Kate! :p
No one else can have her!

Seems Kate on Waze is the same voice as my default on Maps, so I thought she was known as Kate there as well.
I then noticed when using Maps since that Kate seemed to be giving extra route information with Maps, and I had never uninstalled Waze.

Perhaps Kate is sounding stroppy because Waze in the background is making her that way.

Maybe I can get my loving, accepting, non - critical Kate back again if I kill off her alter ego on Waze.

Maybe Kate took the Waze job when life was tough for her, but now that she has found me she has helped us both find happiness. Oh Joy!

That old Kate on Waze was not faithful anyway. She directed me down country lanes off the main road that day but it was obvious that she had given other drivers the same route. Who did she think she was kidding? That's when I first got that sick feeling that I was no longer special to her.

I can't wait to ask Kate for guidance again, when I uninstall Waze. I'm hoping she then still won't keep saying "OK" (so you don't like this route!) anymore. Then we can forgive and forget and life will indeed be bliss.

If that doesn't work, well... I can't find any named voices on Maps, just a US voice option who will probably want to take me to Lye Sis Chester Square from Glowsischester and so I will have to move to Waze after all. I will, I really will.

Although it might be that Christina and it could be a new chapter in my love lif er navigational experiences. If it's a guy, then... well ... at my age...

I do really want the old Kate back. I'm sure she had always only true to me, and I couldn't understand what I had done to upset her.
But really this is Kate's last chance. I just couldn't take anymore.

About a support group : How about every other Tuesday at each others pub on a rotation, so I can listen to everyone's drivel - er' stories of heartache for the first ten minutes, and then we can spend the evening talking about me again. (Must live on the Northern Line rail route).

-----

I might play the field :

Attachments

• Screenshot_20180717-161853.png
    Screenshot_20180717-161853.png
    151.5 KB · Views: 69
Reactions: Deleted User
Upvote 0
I've got some bad news for you Sunshine, Kate isn't well. She isn't flustered because of Waze either. My sister has been on a tear about this and laughed when I showed her the thread. I know that she has never used Waze, ever.
Oh No! Really? Kate is my Kate No More? I thought everything was going to be alright. Well, I'll show her. (I just need a little crying time) :(

200.gif

oh MG.... are we talking about Maps voices? or a woman that you want to dump?

confused :(

Maps Voices. Yeh this thread doesn't work if Maps has no names for the voices. My bad.

What were you thinking?! :D

Reactions: Jfalls63 and dan330
Upvote 0
Kate is my Kate No More
I don't know who she uses but I don't think it's Kate, she has some guy. She doesn't use the UK people either. I never changed mine, I have the original snarky lady who is sometimes very lazy and won't help me at all.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
..... but are you all getting this new spoken "OK" by the voice when Maps has to reroute and give a new instruction?
It is slightly annoying but they may drop it if Google ever listen to feedback (on Maps I think they are useless with user Edits and Contributions).
I will become accustomed to it, but currently it is saying OK again and again while still on the given route - perhaps due to a temporary loss of Location or signal, so that's something they need to fix, or offer a like for like replacement for the device I throw out the car window :)

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones