• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Help i knew the nps was bad, but wtf

...as long as you flash back a genuine firmware for your region and also have the coresponding CSC.
so do the firmware versions have other regional differences than the csc (and availability) ?

i mean, if i was to flash a g9 firmware from anyland without a csc, would it be as it was (is, for now) out of the box?

obviously they have to render warranty service for a null-csc phone if they sell them as such, so why would a corresponding csc be necessary (as long as the firmware version was one that came on the phone in that particular region)?

also - by what i gathered from this, officially samsung is saying **** you to anyone with a null-csc phone as long as updates are concerned, right?

Upvote 0
The firmware files are all identical between regions. As i'm sure you know the I5, H7 etc are just build date/build number. So a german and UK phone with G8 firmware from NPS will have identical base firmware.

The CSC file is just a bunch of scripts which run _after_ android boots the first time. They edit the build.prop file on the root of the phone to set its 'region' or CSC region. When you type that * # 44336 code it reads from there what the region is. NPS also reads that and sends it to the samsung server, which decides what firmware it will offer you. This makes sense, to keep people on O2 on a O2 CSC.

The CSC will usually change the background and maybe add a local keyboard - eg hebrew, and not do much else

Samsung don't actually know what you did with your phone previously, and can only see the last thing you installed. So if you were to use Odin and put I4 on it, with an O2 CSC they would assume you never touched it.

So, samsung have made this statement about unauthorised firmware updates, and personally I dont think they're spending time checking what you have on your phone.

I think they are just covering their backs in case a shit load of phones turn up because someone put up a silly guide online which bricked a bunch of phones.

I don't think unlocked, unbranded Samsung Galaxy phones exist. Depending on where you bought your phone from they'll have the local region information/CSC. So theoretically a phone with no CSC shouldnt ever exist. This is why NPS will never offer a firmware update to a phone with no CSC.

So if you're really worried about your waranty - or in fact if you're just sensible, before you send it back you should put it into the same firmware and state that you got it, or could have using only NPS - IF possible. Of course II5 with a O2 CSC will look suspicious since II5 wasnt released for O2!

I personally wouldnt worry about it that much. Just keep rastaman's G8 O2 firmware handy on your computer. And if you ever need to use the waranty, flash to it using Odin. Aside from that, normal use, just skip the CSC and use the latest stock firmware that's released. Usually (so far anyway) germany gets the update first, then italy, then UK.

Upvote 0
tbh, at this point i'm being more curious than sensible :)
I don't think unlocked, unbranded Samsung Galaxy phones exist. Depending on where you bought your phone from they'll have the local region information/CSC. So theoretically a phone with no CSC shouldnt ever exist. This is why NPS will never offer a firmware update to a phone with no CSC.
well, they obviously do exist - i've got one
and i bought it from a well established finnish online computing store (verkkokauppa.com), tho' it was with a note of "no finnish os on this one" etc. and the ones with what i presume to be finnish csc info weren't quite available yet
didn't think too much in to it at the time i was ordering, since i would have changed the ui language to english anyway

Upvote 0
Interesting, first phone i've seen with that. I thought you had no CSC because you used odin? How can you be sure it had no CSC when you got it?

What i meant to say is sure they're unbranded, and unlocked, but the CSC file will be that of the region where its being sold. Maybe the CSC is different on 'unbranded' phones, but i doubt it.

Upvote 0
Interesting, first phone i've seen with that. I thought you had no CSC because you used odin? How can you be sure it had no CSC when you got it?

What i meant to say is sure they're unbranded, and unlocked, but the CSC file will be that of the region where its being sold. Maybe the CSC is different on 'unbranded' phones, but i doubt it.
I'd say mine had no CSC either, but of couse I cannot test it anymore, since I used Odin to update it to II5 some time ago.
I bought it on a spanish site, but the phone was from germany. (IG9)

Upvote 0
well i've never used odin (still woudn't know how to actually), nor anything else that might be considered "involved" by anyone, so unless normal usage and installing apps from the market can null the csc, it was null out of the box

Upvote 0
it shouldnt be. ill check it now

no one has got me the latest csc to host yet so i cannot put that up yet but the g8 shouldnt be corrupt

EDIT:
just redownloaded odin and G8 from my host and both are working and not corrupt.
Index of /files/i7500/

If it don't work first time have another go at downloading the zip! I still managed to get a corrupt zip file after this post but worked fine after i downloaded it for a second time!

Upvote 0
I have just same version of Galaxy than mrqs. (bought from same netstore). Do anyone have new info about this "no supported" problem?

Even after upgrading NPS to 1.3.0IJ1 i have popup where it tells i7500 only support software update, but when i try update it i got "This device is not supported." "The device you have selected does not support software upgrade"

Upvote 0
I have just same version of Galaxy than mrqs. (bought from same netstore). Do anyone have new info about this "no supported" problem?

Even after upgrading NPS to 1.3.0IJ1 i have popup where it tells i7500 only support software update, but when i try update it i got "This device is not supported." "The device you have selected does not support software upgrade"

have the same issue. Live in Sweden, bought from a webshop aswell.

So this odin, whats the risks with using it? do u have to root your phone and stuff? dont wanna mess to much with it.
and kam187, a.k.a androidforum god :D, where do i see what kind of firmware i got? is in csc? pda? or Phone?

this is how it looks on my phone

Pda: I7500XXII8
Phone: same as above.
CSC:I7500XEEII4

Upvote 0
have the same issue. Live in Sweden, bought from a webshop aswell.

So this odin, whats the risks with using it? do u have to root your phone and stuff? dont wanna mess to much with it.
and kam187, a.k.a androidforum god :D, where do i see what kind of firmware i got? is in csc? pda? or Phone?

this is how it looks on my phone

Pda: I7500XXII8
Phone: same as above.
CSC:I7500XEEII4
wow you have the latest firmware out it seems.
last one we know about is ii5 and you have ii8

Upvote 0
Wow you have even newer firmware! Don't touch it :)

RE Odin...

The NPS update uploads a ramdisk and that handles updating the various partitions in the phone. It accepts the images in one shot and then writes them into the phone.

The Odin tool uses the lowest level ROM recovery of the phone - download mode. This accepts each image in turn and flashes exactly the same partitions.

A phone updated with Odin would be and look no different to that updated with NPS.

The only except here is NPS ALWAYS flashes a CSC file (which are regional customisations). Odin allows you to flash without it if you like, but also lets you flash with it if you prefer.

The risk with odin is the same as the risk with NPS and is only there if the baseband is updated. Its a very very low risk in fact because the phone accepts the whole image and checks it before writing. The worst case scenario is your battery falls out half way through the write!

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones