• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

I know several people who are going to jump to ATT

My sense is that they invested a lot of advertising and effort in Droid (and to a lesser extent, Eris) and they want to reap as much of that back as possible. Also, they figure they jsut served the power-user customer base with Droid and so what's the rush? Those of us that are into Android and monitor the major tech-review sites and website forums like this are not a majority. Mom and pop and their media-hungry kids and college students are. The tech-savvy user and corporate user are smaller sub-segments. Minivan moms and the brats with daddy's credit card are their bread and butter. Look in the Verizon store any Saturday.

So for them to invest a great deal in getting the latest, most expensive device, with biggest bandwidth use capability yet, and new coordination and service factors to consider...not too much mileage in it compared to mom and the kids.

We'll get there with a Desire and/or N1, or some mythical beast along those lines, but I bet the smoke doesn't clear till fall 2010. I think Droid is still selling pretty well and is certainly being pushed at the stores.

But I do empathize with the "impatient crowd". Because of the 2 year contract this is not like just buying an mp3 player or amplifier that's good enough for now and updating next Christmas when the "great thing" comes out. You're locked into a contract with ETF, etc, and it makes the decision much harder and more compelling. Assuming that you're not really wealthy, in which case, who cares...get whatever you want on any carrier and trade up as often as you want.

Upvote 0
I have been with Verizon since 1994 and this is the first year that I have consider changing carriers. I have looked at t-mobile, alltel, sprint, and at&t in my area. My area Verizon is by far the best coverage and by maps looks like sprint a distant 2nd. The contract for my 1st 2 lines has been up since August and the kids are up April 14th. I am just waiting till April to make a choice unless something comes out before April. The sprint map showed good on phone reception and 3g on data. My family uses less than 100 minutes per month on 4 lines together but a ton of sms. I pay 157 per month now and no data plans for the phones and that price includes 18% off main line on family plan. I can change to Sprint for family and have unlimited data, 1500 minutes/month for 169 minus 20% off main line through my employer but Sprint phones suck too. Come on incredible(Verizon) or supersonic(sprint).

Upvote 0
I have been with Verizon since 1994 and this is the first year that I have consider changing carriers. I have looked at t-mobile, alltel, sprint, and at&t in my area. My area Verizon is by far the best coverage and by maps looks like sprint a distant 2nd. The contract for my 1st 2 lines has been up since August and the kids are up April 14th. I am just waiting till April to make a choice unless something comes out before April. The sprint map showed good on phone reception and 3g on data. My family uses less than 100 minutes per month on 4 lines together but a ton of sms. I pay 157 per month now and no data plans for the phones and that price includes 18% off main line on family plan. I can change to Sprint for family and have unlimited data, 1500 minutes/month for 169 minus 20% off main line through my employer but Sprint phones suck too. Come on incredible(Verizon) or supersonic(sprint).

Keep in mind that Verizon now requires data plans on most of their phones bought going forward. May not be a problem for one line, but for all four it could be pretty expensive. Just thought I'd throw it out there as a few friends of mine didn't know that (or the new ETF structure haha).

Upvote 0
Keep in mind that Verizon now requires data plans on most of their phones bought going forward. May not be a problem for one line, but for all four it could be pretty expensive. Just thought I'd throw it out there as a few friends of mine didn't know that (or the new ETF structure haha).

Do you know if the carriers give a corporate discount on the data plans? Because, I thought if I stick with Verizon I would just have 2 family plans with data. My wife gets 18% off 1st line and I can get 20% off 1st line is how I think verizon does it. I just don't understand why they don't take it off the whole bill. I could change to the 700 minutes for 99.99 plus 4 data plans putting me at 240 per month or go with sprint at 169.99. I think I will buy a cheap prepaid virgin mobile phone(uses sprint network) today at walmart and check the coverage in my area. Because 169.99 per month with spotty service is worse than 240 with great coverage.

Upvote 0
Do you know if the carriers give a corporate discount on the data plans? Because, I thought if I stick with Verizon I would just have 2 family plans with data. My wife gets 18% off 1st line and I can get 20% off 1st line is how I think verizon does it. I just don't understand why they don't take it off the whole bill. I could change to the 700 minutes for 99.99 plus 4 data plans putting me at 240 per month or go with sprint at 169.99. I think I will buy a cheap prepaid virgin mobile phone(uses sprint network) today at walmart and check the coverage in my area. Because 169.99 per month with spotty service is worse than 240 with great coverage.

some corp. discounts do, some do not, and some are at a different %
For example I know Military gets 15% off voice and 12% off data, GM gets 21% off voice and 20% off data

I would also look at StraightTalk from Walmart. That is prepaid and uses the Verizon network. It's $45 for unlimited everything. Then if you did switch to Sprint you'd still have a reliable network ;)

Upvote 0
some corp. discounts do, some do not, and some are at a different %
For example I know Military gets 15% off voice and 12% off data, GM gets 21% off voice and 20% off data

I would also look at StraightTalk from Walmart. That is prepaid and uses the Verizon network. It's $45 for unlimited everything. Then if you did switch to Sprint you'd still have a reliable network ;)

Shame couldn't buy a nexus one from Google when it comes out for verizon and put it on staightTalk then that would be sweet.

GM gets 21% off voice and 20% off data

;)

The government and US citizens owns GM now, we should all get this discount.

Upvote 0
Been with VZW for years and years.

Go ahead and make the jump. I have been on Verizon for 8 years and have a Droid. I also have an iPhone because my companies corporate account is AT&T. AT&T coverage is terrible. You may have good coverage, but don't get in your car and go anywhere expecting 3G to be sustainable. AT&T's 3G coverage is awful. I have dropped calls on my iPhone all the time. I now have the number forwarded to GVoice and use GVoice with my Droid even when I travel on business. I don't miss the iPhone and AT&T one bit.

Upvote 0
You know how to win the war in Iraq and Afghanistan? Allow AT&T to develop their cellular networks. Cell-phone controlled IEDs would be duds and the Taliban would be unable to coordinate attacks and they would fall apart due to a lack of communication. "We will attack the Americans at.... beep, beep beep" *call failed* for the next 10 minutes. Wanna set off that IED next to that platoon? *could not activate cellular network*.

I'm switching out of the iPhone solely because AT&T. Right now I'm just waiting until the the Next Great Phone comes along on Verizon. It's between the N1 and Incredible in June. Then it's Android for me and the ability to make calls and access the internet at home and work!

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones