1. Download our Official Android App: Forums for Android!

Root I KNOW some one KNOWS what to do...

Discussion in 'Android Devices' started by errtex, Jul 7, 2011.

1. errtex

errtex Lurker
    None

Jul 1, 2011
    I have 2 used Inspires: The first is completely AT&T stock, but I dropped it and busted the screen... still works, just all cracked up.

The second was rooted, android version 2.3.4, kernel version 2.6.32.39-cyanogenmod-gafdbd42-dirty-di11igaf@linux#2, build number GRJ22-GingerBeast 2.1.2 ...

The Question: What can I do (or where can I find any info) to return the rooted Inspire to it's "original" operating system? I don't care if it remains rooted or not. Both of these phones had their own microSD card installed and I'm guessing the key to the answer lays in there somwhere.

Advice? Anyone?..... Please?

**ALSO need to mention that the stock phone connects to HTC Sync flawlessly, but the one I want to return toi original OS will not, I can only open the files in USB mass storage mode, and I cannot locate the "debugging" option on the phone itsself

Advertisement

2. 2manyPHONES

2manyPHONES Android Expert
    None

Jul 26, 2010
    NY & TX
    http://androidforums.com/inspire-4g-all-things-root/342294-unrooting.html (not sure if you really want to unroot and go back to stock on the non broken one or find the htc sense stock 2.2 rom which I thought I saw someone mention but can't find that link)

There may also be someone with some more knowledge on this in the rooting section of this forum ill move to topic there.

3. dots

dots Android Expert
    None

Aug 5, 2010
    Shelby Township, MI
    Your first gonna have to return the Inspire s-on then use a stock RUU. That should get you completely stock. If you dont care about turning back s-on then using a stock RUU should get you on the factory rom.

I'm actually in the process of testing getting my inspire stock just to know how to do it. I'll post back ina bit if i was sucuessful.

USB Debugging is located in Settings > Applicantions > Development

4. dots

dots Android Expert
    None

Aug 5, 2010
    Shelby Township, MI
    If you download the ace hack kit theres an "Optional" menu which sk coupports getting you back completely stock.

5. errtex

errtex Lurker
    None

Jul 1, 2011
    Thanks... doesn't matter if it's "rooted" or not, just want the original look and options back.

This is just the advice I was looking for, but I'm new to this... years ago I would unlock and toy with the OS on my blackberrys and sonyericssons but never an android yet. The HTC Sync doesn't recognize the rooted Inspire, but I can put it in mass storage mode and open everything on the sd card. And what is the RUU?

Thanks so much again and hope your attempt is a success.

6. dots

dots Android Expert
    None

Aug 5, 2010
    Shelby Township, MI
    RUU is a Rom Upgrade Utility, its what HTC distrubutes i assume to people (testers maybe, not sure really) that allow to upgrade the rom over the pc. Usually a last resort method to unbrick a phone or to return a phone stock for various reasons.

My first method was using an s-on tool then using an RUU to stock, well the s-on tool didn't work. No idea why but the RUU did return me successfully stock with s-off though.

I don't have time right now though but the Ace Hack Kit has an "Optional Menu" and from there is a menu with going back to stock with turning s-on. You can find the hack kit here. (ALL NEW AGAIN ON 04-29-2011) HTC Inspire/DHD Hack Kit V11 - xda-developers

errtex likes this.
  7. errtex

errtex Lurker
    None

Jul 1, 2011
    Thanks, dots...I'll check out the link, get the kit and see if I can figure it out. I was thinking if all else fails I've got the sdcard from the broken inspire with all the stock folders and files... if I format the second's sd card and transfer everything from the stock sd card then reboot... maybe.... actually, I'm guessing it's probably not that easy. Hmmm...

I'll check it out now. Thanks again.

8. th3goob

th3goob Well-Known Member
    None

Feb 13, 2011
    Nanty Glo, PA
    Glad i found this, just incase something happends and i need to ruu back to stock.