1. Are you ready for the Galaxy S20? Here is everything we know so far!

I lost my stock backup!

Discussion in 'Android Devices' started by 0v0, Feb 8, 2011.

1. 0v0

0v0 Lurker

Hi guys

I think I screwed up...

I recently installed salvage rom (which is so great)
    and up untill a few minutes ago I was going to try to do the GPS fix (workaround?)

so I decided to backup my rom using rom manager's back up current rom

I did not know that it would replace the ones I had saved

what should I do now?

is there a stock rom that i can download from somewhere?

am I screwed?

I tried to search for this topic but either I the only one dumb enough to have lost his back up or I'm just not searching correctly

all help is appreciated

1. Download the Forums for Android™ app!

Download

2. akazabam

akazabam Android Expert

Backing up with ROM manager will just reboot into recovery and do a normal nandroid backup. That does not overwrite or affect previous backups. If you go to restore a nandroid backup, it should show you a list of backups. Go ahead and try it, and see if you see them listed. Just don't actually select one to restore. You can also go look on the sdcard with any file browser. Go to /sdcard/clockworkmod/backup, where you should see all your backups. That being said, if your backups aren't there, you must have deleted them accidentally some other way. Nandroid backup couldn't have done it. Anyway, do you ever actually want to go back to the stock ROM? You don't need it if you ever want to unroot, if that's what you're worried about. The unrooting process will take it back to stock whether you have a stock backup or not. If you really want a stock ROM, though, you can get it here. I'm, of course, assuming you have the latest OTA.

3. malia420a

malia420a Lurker

kinda have the same issue peeps..but my phone doesnt want to boot up!! :'( i have the Evo 4G managed to root the phone with out a problem. Had the Rom Manager App worked like a charm but when i flashed/downloaded a ROM that was preloaded there, the process looked like it finished but my phone is stuck on the boot screen. is there a way to use my original back up that i created using ROM Manager?

4. akazabam

akazabam Android Expert

If you created a nandroid backup with ROM manager, it just created it via clockwork. Turn the phone off, then turn it back on while pressing and holding the volume down button. That will take you to hboot. Select the option for recovery. Once in recovery, select the option to restore a backup. You will be given a list of backups. Select your last backup, and let it restore. Once it is done, you'll be able to boot up. What ROM did you try to flash? I recommend you download the ROMs, and flash them from recovery manually. You'll need to wipe data, cache, and dalvik cache before flashing them. Restore your nandroid, first, though, and let's make sure you can boot up before doing anything else.

5. malia420a

malia420a Lurker

@akazabam wow thank you so much for the quick reply..once the phone boots up i will let you know. perfect instructions bro thanks. and i will follow that process if i decide to flash any roms

6. akazabam

akazabam Android Expert

No problem :). Let me know if there are any problems with it.

7. 0v0

0v0 Lurker

Well , the other 2 backups i had are gone
    can't really figure out how or when I erase them though

it's good to hear that I can get stock rom if I need it

Question if I get the New OTA will I need to do unrevoked again?

Thanks!

8. Xtremedays

Xtremedays Android Expert

My suggestion would be to not accept OTA updates but rather wait a few days and a rooted version of the update will be out to flash. Unrevoked is supposed to make the s-off permanent but I have heard of issues after accepting an OTA.

9. akazabam

akazabam Android Expert

Xtremedays is right. You should update manually. Are you asking for future reference, or are you not on the latest OTA? See the Rooting for Dummies guide sticky - section 6 under after rooting for instructions on how to update manually. You'll have to update the ROM to the latest software version and also update your radio version, assuming the OTA has new radio versions. If you already have the latest radio versions, you have nothing to worry about until we get a new OTA.

10. malia420a

malia420a Lurker

@akazabam i had no problem restoring it man thanks again. i tried downloading Fresh Evo 3.5.0.1 New OTA from the Free section from ROM Manager

11. akazabam

akazabam Android Expert

Ok. If that's what you want to flash, you should download the zip from here. Put it on the root of your sdcard (connect phone to your computer via usb, then copy the file to your sdcard at the top level). Reboot into recovery, wipe data, cache, and dalvik cache, then flash the zip from your sdcard. You can find very specific instructions in the rooting for dummies guide.

12. 0v0

0v0 Lurker

Yes I was just asking for future reference

Thanks for the advice!

HTC EVO 4G Forum

The HTC EVO 4G release date was June 2010. Features and Specs include a 4.3" inch screen, 8MP camera, 512GB RAM, Snapdragon S1 processor, and 1500mAh battery.

June 2010
Release Date
Reviews