• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

I love my Eris, but.....

88rich88

Dec 4, 2009
Just wondering how the other Eris owners are feeling. First off I love my eris, its the best phone I personally have ever used on the verizon network. But with that being said, Do you feel like we are being left in the dust? Im starting to get the feeling that I've just bought this brand new phone, and it is already outdated. Now I know that technology is a fast changing animal, but maybe after something like 6 months not 3 weeks. I know if you are always waiting for the next best thing you will never have ANY thing, i get that. But there is already new apps we can't use.. i.e. google nav, google goggles, and probably more to come. I know we are supposed to get and update, but what if it doesn't come until the summer of next year. I know they are saying 1st quarter, but that could change come january. To top it off now some sights are giving away the eris for free..I mean come on the storm 2 sucks, and its still not free. Just curious.

don't feel left behind i come from the G1. this is typical HTC making sure they dot the i's and cross the t's. it took forever for them to push the button on cupcake but when it did nobody complained. unless it's a critcal update they shove those out as fast as they can. we'll see 2.0 when they'er ready and feel glad when they did take the extra time.

Upvote 0
Just wondering how the other Eris owners are feeling. First off I love my eris, its the best phone I personally have ever used on the verizon network. But with that being said, Do you feel like we are being left in the dust? Im starting to get the feeling that I've just bought this brand new phone, and it is already outdated. Now I know that technology is a fast changing animal, but maybe after something like 6 months not 3 weeks. I know if you are always waiting for the next best thing you will never have ANY thing, i get that. But there is already new apps we can't use.. i.e. google nav, google goggles, and probably more to come. I know we are supposed to get and update, but what if it doesn't come until the summer of next year. I know they are saying 1st quarter, but that could change come january. To top it off now some sights are giving away the eris for free..I mean come on the storm 2 sucks, and its still not free. Just curious.

There will always be "newer or better". Think of it this way, at least it's upgradable. Try upgrading your car, or your house. You're talking big $$.

There's different thoughts. People who have to have the "newest" car do 24 month leases, so they will never be a "generation behind".

Others buy good cars that last for 10 years, happy with what they have.

If you have to be on the bleeding edge, you're always going to have anxiety. Look at the poor people in the passion forum, talking about performance vs. other phones for a phone that doesn't exist yet. You can drive yourself crazy if you're not careful.

So, I'm happy that we're getting updates beyond what's needed to make the phone work at all.

Upvote 0
There will always be "newer or better". Think of it this way, at least it's upgradable. Try upgrading your car, or your house. You're talking big $$.

There's different thoughts. People who have to have the "newest" car do 24 month leases, so they will never be a "generation behind".

If you have to be on the bleeding edge, you're always going to have anxiety. Look at the poor people in the passion forum, talking about performance vs. other phones for a phone that doesn't exist yet. You can drive yourself crazy if you're not careful.

So, I'm happy that we're getting updates beyond what's needed to make the phone work at all.

+ 1

Upvote 0
Thanks guys...That is reassuring. I would much rather have a polished update than a rushed on with a million bugs. I went into the passion forum and it is so true, its all speculation at this point but the way people are talking you would think they actually had a phone in hand. Thanks again for the comments.

Upvote 0
It is outdated to a certain degree. But the way I like to look at it is to draw a parallel with the original air cooled Porsche 911.

Porsche introduced the original 911 back in the 60's and over the span of decades it continually developed and refined it until 1998 where that chassis had achieved it's ultimate iteration. It was replaced with the newer water cooled models in 1999 which are in many ways superior, but they certainly don't relegate the older air cooled models to crap wagon status :)

The Eris is the ultimate iteration of the platform HTC started with as the G1.

The 1998 993/911 (Eris) is not as advanced as the newer 996 (HTC Passion), but it is still a kick ass car (and phone) today by just about anyone's standards. :)

Upvote 0
It is outdated to a certain degree. But the way I like to look at it is to draw a parallel with the original air cooled Porsche 911.

Porsche introduced the original 911 back in the 60's and over the span of decades it continually developed and refined it until 1998 where that chassis had achieved it's ultimate iteration. It was replaced with the newer water cooled models in 1999 which are in many ways superior, but they certainly don't relegate the older air cooled models to crap wagon status :)

The Eris is the ultimate iteration of the platform HTC started with as the G1.

The 1998 993/911 (Eris) is not as advanced as the newer 996 (HTC Passion), but it is still a kick ass car (and phone) today by just about anyone's standards. :)
and look at the resale value on those older porshes. LOL! but the eris won't be making any resale value records. :(

Upvote 0

there it is

Upvote 0
Well you feel thats its outdated becuase it DOES use dated hardware, plain and simple.

The Qualcomm msm7600 chipset came out nearly 2 YEARS ago and uses the ARM11 CPU core which came out MANY MANY years ago.

The Eris is basically the last phone to be made with the dated msm7600 chipset.

New phones are coming out in just a few weeks/months with new and far superior chipsets made on 45nm technology which makes the Eris a low-end smart phone. Even the low-end sector of these new chipsets will be just as fast as the Eris but have superior battery life due to 45nm.

Eris is basically 2 year old hardware. Yes you are buying dated hardware and you can clearly see so buy the sluggish performance and slow load/rendering times and of the Eris.

There is a reason why they are trying to get rid of the Eris buy giving it away for free. Eris was basically designed to dump the remaining qualcomm 7600 chipsets and other dated components HTC had in stock to make room for the 45nm units which they already have and ALREADY are Mfring the new phones with which are coming out VERY soon.

Upvote 0
Well you feel thats its outdated becuase it DOES use dated hardware, plain and simple.

The Qualcomm msm7600 chipset came out nearly 2 YEARS ago and uses the ARM11 CPU core which came out MANY MANY years ago.

New phones are coming out in just a few weeks/months with new and far superior chipsets made on 45nm technology which makes the Eris a low-end smart phone. Even the low-end sector of these new chipsets will be just as fast as the Eris but have superior battery life due to 45nm.

Eris is basically 2 year old hardware. Yes you are buying dated hardware and you can clearly see so buy the sluggish performance and slow load/rendering times and of the Eris.

There is a reason why they are trying to get rid of the Eris buy giving it away for free. Eris was basically designed to dump the remaining qualcomm 7600 chipsets and other dated components HTC had in stock to make room for the 45nm units which they already have and ALREADY are Mfring the new phones with which are coming out VERY soon.

reported and logged

please don't try to start a fight here people got banned yesterday for this

Upvote 0
i know we all want the latest and greatest. but honestly, all of us on this forum probably suffer form that. but there has to come apoint where we can just 'grow up' and grow out it. im trying to.. :[ i just try to remember that ill NEVER be happy with what I have.. even if i have the lastest/greatest, itll soon be obsolete. so instead, i just embrace that its impossible to make myself happy w/ a freakin phone (yeah seriuosly, a cell phone?) and just move on w/ my life

Upvote 0

Not wanting to get into a back and forth bicker-war, but this is not uncommon in many various industries.

Apple ( among others ) have been doing this for years. They will hang on to old hardware ( they used the GMA950 graphics chipset forever ) and keep repackaging/reselling it. Then they provide a new OS and usually, it's been optimized so well that performance goes up.

Car manufacturers putting a new car body on a 10-year old chassis. If you have something that works and works well, stick with it and tweak it where you can.

From my standpoint, I'm coming from an ATT java "dumb" phone ( Eternity ). When I went to the Verizon store to give the Eris a try, I was blown away. And I owned an iPhone 3g for a few months before I got my Eternity. The performance, screen, apps, handfeel, build quality, HTC Sense, etc. etc. of the Eris is soooo much better than 98% of the phones on the market. Not bad for and "old" phone.

If someone wants to give me that phone for Free ( I'll get better reception from Verizon versus ATT where I live ) I'll take it, no brainer.

You're usually better off staying one or two steps behind the latest/greatest. More time for a product ( and it's software ) to mature and in this case, a nice growing community of folks to lean on for help.

Upvote 0
Not wanting to get into a back and forth bicker-war, but this is not uncommon in many various industries.

Apple ( among others ) have been doing this for years. They will hang on to old hardware ( they used the GMA950 graphics chipset forever ) and keep repackaging/reselling it. Then they provide a new OS and usually, it's been optimized so well that performance goes up.

Car manufacturers putting a new car body on a 10-year old chassis. If you have something that works and works well, stick with it and tweak it where you can.

From my standpoint, I'm coming from an ATT java "dumb" phone ( Eternity ). When I went to the Verizon store to give the Eris a try, I was blown away. And I owned an iPhone 3g for a few months before I got my Eternity. The performance, screen, apps, handfeel, build quality, HTC Sense, etc. etc. of the Eris is soooo much better than 98% of the phones on the market. Not bad for and "old" phone.

If someone wants to give me that phone for Free ( I'll get better reception from Verizon versus ATT where I live ) I'll take it, no brainer.

You're usually better off staying one or two steps behind the latest/greatest. More time for a product ( and it's software ) to mature and in this case, a nice growing community of folks to lean on for help.

Well said. My thoughts exactly. I'd only add that virtually EVERYONE who got an Eris, did so after scrutinizing the market and all the various competitors. That should say a lot by itself. Personally, I've had my Eris for a just a couple weeks or so and find that I like it more every day. But then, I'm no electronic gadget geek either. :rolleyes:

Upvote 0

I am feeling exactly the way you are just the past day or so! I love my phone, it's my fist smartphone. And I normally don't need the latest and greatest (obviously, since this is my first smartphone). I keep my cars for 7-8 years.

BUT ... when I do buy something new, I like to buy what is currently up-to-date, and then be happy with that for a period of time. I bought my Eris on 11/23, and yes I was well aware of the Droid having 2.0 and the Eris having 1.5. I just couldn't get into the Droid ... the keyboard, the clunkiness, the vanilla UI, lack of multitouch. Now hearing the new Passion rumours for January, reading about all these new Apps that 1.5 can't support, and seeing my brand new phone being handed away for free just a week and a half after I bought it ... I do have that feeling that I bought something that was more out-of-date than I would have liked.

Someone tell me it'll be alright!

Upvote 0

I think I understand how you feel. I really like the ERis, but i am wondering is there something hotter. I like the OS and Sense UI, but i feel like I'm missing out buy not getting the Moto Droid. The Droid got an update already and it seems to have helped some of it's hiccups. I know some do not feel that the droid is a good phone, but I am coming from the Storm 1 and I purchased it almost 5 months after initial release. I feel like my Eris will be obsolete soon. Especially if Verizon gets another high end Android phone. I'm actually going to Best Buy to check out the Droid this evening.

Upvote 0
there's going to be new and better phones comming out next year. even better the the phone the droid guys throw in our face here. best not to have byers remorse cause of i could have wait a couple months for the next one or you'll be doing it forever. and even if 2.1 is the last official release for us. once we get root level access that won't matter much since the rom cookers love slipping new peices into our old and moldy phones. and to say that we can't go past 2.1 is false the reason why the g1 might not get an update is cause of space availible on the phone not cause it can't run it. which if you looked at our specs we have alot more room than the g1 for updates.

Upvote 0
As long as the Passion/Bravo/Dragon/W.e they call it is doesn't come out in the either March or February...I won't say a word. I got the Eris because i was tired of my dumb phone and wanted to enter the world of smart phones. The Eris is more/everything I've ever wanted out of my phone. It barely cost me anything (after rebate and coupon) and I think it will hold me over until all the phones start switching to a 4g network.

If it really comes down to it, I'll just buy a Passion/Dragon/Bravo thing without the upgrade and roll with that. I'd still wait a month or two before it's out.

Upvote 0
Although I understand the sentiment, I'm committed to the Eris. It was an informed decision on my part and I can't be bothered with keeping up with the Jones'. I'd rather just enjoy my purchase that I feel good about. Who cares what everyone else is doing? :)

Oh and to the freedom of speech remark earlier in the thread. Remember, freedom of speech just means that you can go out and start your own forum and discuss whatever you want with those willing to hear it. Not say anything in a privately run forum.

Upvote 0
I stuck my with my Motorola Q for 3 years and got the Eris in November. I absolutely love it a month later and will be happy to use this phone for 2 or 3 years. I gave my motorola q to my 14 year old niece, its 5(6?) years old and my niece is blown away by it. If a 14 year old girl in 2009 can be happy with a 5 year old phone, can't we just be happy with our investment and accept the fact that 9 years ago a basic Nokia was 100 times more powerful than the computers NASA used to put 2 men on the moon? It's a phone that lets you browse the internet at great speeds, has great coverage, tons of free apps and customization to boot. Just saying...I'm young but I still wish people could appreciate technology and the benefits it affords us.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones