• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

I may have bricked my HERO2000 trying to flash a custom ROM.

chrisdegraw

Lurker
Sep 20, 2010
I'm new to this whole flashing custom ROMS business. I have a CDMA HTC Hero 2000 and I downgraded to the original 2.1 before the update just fine, rooted my phone just fine. Then I tried to flash Aloysius to it using instructions I found here: [Complete Guide] How To Flash A Custom ROM To Your Android Phone With ROM Manager + Full Backup & Restore | Android News, Reviews, Applications, Games, Phones, Devices, Tips, Mods, Videos, Podcasts - Android Police

After all was said and done, my phone starts to boot with the "HTC quitely brilliant" logo, following by "SPRINT the Now network" logo and after it shows "Now" for many seconds (as it normally does before pulling up the home screen), it reverts back to the HTC logo and repeats this process until I remove the battery.

I removed the microSD and attempted to boot, same thing. Then I held down HOME+BACK+POWER to do a manual hard reset, this took a little longer but again had the same result.

I may just cry now. Please help!! :eek:

Good news is, you can't really brick your phone unless you flash a GSM radio.

Did you make a nandroid backup before attempting to flash your ROM? If so, boot into recovery and restore you backup.

If you did not make a backup, there are still several things that can be done. Let's start with the basics though. Boot your phone into recovery mode.

(I do not have a lot of time to type out everything this morning, but if you aren't familiar with booting into recovery or anything else I'm about to say, please refer to the guides/tutorials we have on here, as the instructions go into detail on how to do all of this.)

Once in recovery mode, I would suggest wiping both data and dalvik, then flashing a different ROM. You can toggle USB right from recovery, so you can put your ROM that you need to flash onto your SD card while in Recovery.

Basically, your phone probably isn't bricked. It turns on, it boots (maybe in a boot loop but it boots), it isn't dead yet :)

Upvote 0
from what ive heard, a boot loop is generally a result of not clearing everything. Hoping you did a nandroid, id go back to your image and try again. Make sure the cache and davlik are clear, and do a full wipe. Then, try flashing the ROM again. it might be worth re-downloading the ROM, just to make sure its a good file? Also, keep in mind when you are on your initial boot after getting the ROM flashed, it is not uncommon for the phone to take 10-15 minutes to boot up. its not frozen, its just working.

Try going through the steps in your link and do it again. if it doesnt work either post on here again or ask me for my AIM or gmail and i can walk you through it

Upvote 0
Didn't get a chance to get on here until now but I fixed it last night.

I did this by going back into reboot recovery mode (by pressing HOME and POWER), going to partition settings, COMPLETELY wiping everything on the sd card, mounting the USB and dragging a new ROM .zip file onto it. (I tired this twice without completely wiping and the phone continued to have problems booting.

The flash worked fine that time and all has been well. Turns out the first one I was trying to apply to it was just an upgrade.

Thanks everyone for your help, makes perfect sense now.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones