• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

I miss the itunes app store!!!

Chalk me up to someone that can't stand Itunes... I like ipods and I think the iphone is a great device but I can not stand Itunes as an app.

as for problems with apps. yes there are some problems out there however if you stick to mainstream apps like weather channel, amazon, etc where the apps are published by the entity you should see much better quality.

I would also say i prefer an open platform than the apple controlled too tightly platform.

Upvote 0
I was actually quite surprised at the quality and selection of apps in the Android app store. I do agree with one response that all apps should have screen shots or no post.

Every app I had for my iTouch, I have replaced with the identical app on Android and in fact, I have had less app hangs so far on my Droid than on my iTouch. *BUT* it is pretty early to solidify that statement. AP news for my iTouch though was a dog, hung, crashed. The AP news for Android is 5x as fast and hasn't crashed on my Droid at all. So from *my* perspective, the Droid is starting off better than my Touch left off.

Some arguements are that there are more pieces of hardware out there making Android less desirable than iPhone which has one piece of hardware and one OS. That can be compared to the same analogy of Mac to PCs. Really easy for Mac to claim crash free and ease of software development when one company controls the OS *and* the hardware. But, because of the diversity of PCs that flooded the market, in the end, who has the most available software, the PC or the Mac? :eek: DOH! :D

Upvote 0
Upvote 0
iphone_or_droid.png

:)

Upvote 0
Yes, the iphone "gated" community can be blindly trusted... it is gated, isnt it?

iPhone developer accused of stealing user data via app backdoor - iPod/iPhone - Macworld UK

'shrugs' :thinking:

Apple's process lends to a slightly more polished feel. But all in all, its still a jungle out there.

Closed platforms have their benefits, but so do open platforms. Its really what suits you best.

No thanks Apple, I'll stick with android 2.0
Have you read Tortilla Curtains? In one part of the book, these rich white folks wanted to build a wall around their community to keep the... minority out so that they could live in a "safe neighborhood." One of the community's most respected members is under house arrest for embezzlement for three years for emptying the retirement funds of thousands of elderly folks. I don't know that just made me think of that.

On topic, OP go back home if you miss it so much. We're all wild and crazy out here in the Android society. *howls* :D

Upvote 0
You really can't compare them at this point, simply because of the huge volume of iphones out there (compared with Androids), and the duration which the market has been that big. Of COURSE there would be more, better apps, and of COURSE the store would have a smoother interface. Consider how many millions of people use it.

Regardless of that, I'm loving my droid. It's honestly everything I could want in a phone, and although it has room for improvement, I wouldn't go anywhere else.

Upvote 0
I really hope they find someway to unify the Android market place for developers so that they don't end up having to code for 3 different versions of android and makeup for differences in hardware.

I'm really rooting for Android, I mean I love Apple and my iPod Touch but...I haven't touched my iPod since I got my droid lol

Upvote 0
I really hope they find someway to unify the Android market place for developers so that they don't end up having to code for 3 different versions of android and makeup for differences in hardware.

I'm really rooting for Android, I mean I love Apple and my iPod Touch but...I haven't touched my iPod since I got my droid lol
I don't see that happening. Sure they can make it highly scalable like with PC games, but I think developers will just post compatibility lists with their new releases.

Upvote 0
I will never understand how anyone can be using an IPOD rather then just about anyother MP3 player or an Iphone. Any device that limits me to Itunes for for music transfers is just obsurd. Apple makes some very slick, pretty hardware but thats about it. I hate the Idea of being restricted to Itunes software.

Upvote 0
I will never understand how anyone can be using an IPOD rather then just about anyother MP3 player or an Iphone. Any device that limits me to Itunes for for music transfers is just obsurd. Apple makes some very slick, pretty hardware but thats about it. I hate the Idea of being restricted to Itunes software.

You're not. Plenty of other music players will support and sync with the iPod. WinAmp, MediaMonkey, SongBird, Foobar...

Upvote 0
If anyone bought a DROID expecting the Market to be as big or as polished as the App Store then I don't know what you were thinking. The iPhone/iPod touch OS is HUGE, millions of people use it worldwide, Android is still very young and 2.0 and the DROID are just around 2 weeks old. You need to give it time, a lot of time. I don't know the numbers in how many developers either OS has, but I would guess that Apple has about 10-20x more, and they all know what type of hardware they need to design for. The clean look some of you speak of is just the difference from iPhone/iPod touch OS to Android, you can't expect them both to have the same lines and looks. Another thing is the revenue, developers know they will have a better chance making income off the App Store compared to the Market. Hopefully the DROID helps with changing this and some of the other new Android devices will get it in the spotlight, but until then we can't do anything about it short of learning to develop our own apps.

That said, I wish we had some of those sick games the App Store has. The DROID has the hardware for it so hopefully we will soon. I am making due with the SNES and Genesis emulators for now, and Robo Tower Defense (really fun game) but I would love some of the beautiful graphics on the iPhone/iPod touch games.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones