1. Download our Official Android App: Forums for Android!

I must be doing something wrong

Discussion in 'Introductions' started by horselady218, May 29, 2011.

1. horselady218

horselady218 Lurker
    None

May 29, 2011
    Just got a new HTC Inspire 4G. I have spent the last 4.5 hours trying to get it to do some basic things and I am so frustrated I am ready to take it back. If anyone has any helpful hints, I would love help -- I really like all the features of the phone, but this is ridiculous! Specifically:

- I cannot sync with my computer. I was on the phone with the HTC rep this afternoon to no avail. I have a brand new windows 7 computer and it won't recognize the phone. I was able to get my older computer (which I am no longer using) to recognize the phone, but nothing works on the new machine.

- I seem to have duplicate contacts in the phone book and it looks like I will have to go in and manually delete 300+ contacts

- I am having issues loading music from itunes using doubletwist. I got the music loaded, but ran out of space due to all the podcasts I had. So I deleted all the music, set up a subset of songs in a few playlists and just sync'ed the playlists. But some of the podcasts remain on the phone! I no longer see these as being on the phone when I am in doubletwist so I cannot figure out how to delete them.

- The voice recognition is unusable. The salesman in the store had a thick accent and his phone (same model) demo'd fine. I do not have an accent and there is no corrollation with what I say and what the phone returns.

Thanks

Advertisement

2. olbriar

olbriar  

Jun 19, 2010
    Male
    Land of Oz
    Welcome to AF horselady. All new phones are an adventure so don't freak out. Please take the time to visit here before you tear your hair out lol. They are friendly folk that are familiar with your device. I'm certain they will have you up and running in no time at all. Good luck and enjoy the forum and your new phone.

3. 2manyPHONES

2manyPHONES Android Expert
    None

Jul 26, 2010
    NY & TX
    For the computer syncing issue sounds like you don't have the drivers installed or they didn't install correctly. Did you downloaded htc sync? This program has the drivers needed and is available from the htc website. If you did install htc sync try uninstalling then reinstalling this is what I had to do before my phone was recognized

As for multiple contacts, while in the contact menu tap menu then view. Uncheck anything you don't want to show for example if you copied all your contacts from sim to phone uncheck sim.

I don't use iTunes so I'm not much help there but if you head over to the htc inspire forum linked above im sure someone can help you with that

For voice recognition in it sure what you are using it for but for searches on the internet or finding contacts on your phone you can try Aurora

4. horselady218

horselady218 Lurker
    None

May 29, 2011
    I've downloaded the sync from www.htc.com\www\support (fourth from the bottom) twice with htc support on the phone. I've disabled Norton firewall and antivirus and that didn't work either.

I went to the contacts menu and only kept the sim card clicked and it still has dups and it won't even let me manually delete them.

But I am making progress -- I was able to set up speed dial and create a couple of ringtones! I realize that this is an amazing phone with lots of flexibility and options, but it is not at all intuitive. If I were an engineer, I'd probably be thrilled, but my idea of a phone does not require hours of research on the internet, rebooting my computer and downloading from various sites. On the other hand, my son is just loving his Inspire..

I'll go ahead and check out those other forum areas tomorrow -- I think I've had enough for today! Thanks for everyone's help!

5. Chief714

Chief714 Well-Known Member
    None

Aug 12, 2010
    I know this is probably posted somewher, I just don't have the time to search deeply. Since this is the first thread that came up, can anyone tell me how to get podcasts on my inspire?

I used to listen to them from zune with my old windows 7 phone and I was subscribed so I just plugged in and it did everything for me. How do I do this on an android?

Please help and thank you.