1. Download our Official Android App: Forums for Android!

Support I must be the unluckiest person in the world

Discussion in 'Android Devices' started by KelliD, May 14, 2011.

1. KelliD

KelliD Lurker
    None

May 14, 2011
    Student
    London
    I remember back in August when I was super excited about opening the box for my brand new Samsung Galaxy S. It had all the features I could've wanted, and although it was a little more money than I wanted to pay per month - I did. Now, 9 months later I'm stuck with a phone that is still on Android 2.1 because ABSOLOUTELY NOTHING related to this piece of junk works.

I'm on Orange UK, so after 5 months of waiting for Froyo to be released, I'm greeted with little more than "Kies 2.0 does not recognise your device (Win 7 32-bit). I followed a youtube video for instructions on how to debrand and flash the phone but I can't put the damn thing into Recovery or Download mode via the 3 button technique. I don't know where to start (and to be honest, It hardly makes me want to buy another android phone, or Samsung product).

I've seen enough videos and I know what this phone is capable of; It can emulate playstation games, browse the internet with flash, it's a useful SatNav - but the amount of grief its given me just makes me want to flog it on ebay and start using carrier pigeons.

My phone has been incompatible with every single fix I've researched on the internet and I genuinely regret my decision to buy a Galaxy S, is there anyone who's had the thoroughly torrid time that I have and managed to salvage their phone?

Advertisement

2. Nevy P

Nevy P Member
    None

Mar 25, 2011
    Northants UK
    KelliD

Sorry to hear that you are having problems with your phone !!

Is it a 'proper' Orange phone - or from another phone shop - or is it SIM free ?

Connecting to Kies with 2.1 is a real pain i'm afraid - this issue is fixed with 2.2 and 2.2.1

Have you tried to update Kies - this is in Kies in the help menu - Check For Updates

Tell me what version you are currently running.

Try unistalling and reistalling Kies - this can sometimes 'jolt' it into action - like i said if you can update to 2.2 then no more connection problems.

I would then recommend doing a reboot on the phone and see if it then connects - it is not so difficult to do

You want to reboot it is as follows:

(best performed by holding phone sideways!)

1 - unlock the screen !!

2 - hold down (or UP i cannot remember in 2.2 ) the volume rocker (If it is the wrong way around just remove the battery and try the other way)

3 - hold down the menu (middle) button

4 - hold down the on/off button

**** Hold down all the buttons together***

DO NOT release any buttons OK

The screen will show the options to turn it off etc (ignore it)

After a short time the screen will go black

When it shows the 'Samsung Galaxy S' screen let go of the buttons

You will then see yellow writing scrolling on the screen

It will stop at 'Reboot System' option

Press the menu (middle) button

The phone will then reboot and reset itself

DO NOT touch it until it is fully back at your Home Screen

I am hoping that you will then be able to connect (well may just the once!) so you can update the phone !

If you can get it to show that there is an update available -let me know and i will guide you through how to do it without creating any errors OK ?

Cheers

NevyP

3. rayhipkiss

rayhipkiss Android Enthusiast
    None

Apr 20, 2011
    Male
    UK
  4. antoeknee

antoeknee Well-Known Member
    None

Aug 23, 2010
    Network Manager
    NW England
    Its a shame you've had so many problmes.

I'm on Orange and have had Froyo since about lateJanuary/late February.

The phone has been good in all the time I've had it, OK a bit laggy (if thats a word) on 2.1.

Internet has always worked and GPS hasn't been too bad, certainly not as bad as some other have experienced.

My experience has been so positive that I'm looking forward to getting an S2.

I've colleagues with other Android handsets and one of the things they don't had is the ability to set a proxy for use with our network. Now there are some apps available (at a cost) but the SGS has the option already.