• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Help I need 6 top rated apps for a person that's traveling across country.

Phalon4

Android Enthusiast
Apr 18, 2016
I'm seeking personal opinions from members of this forum about 6 important top rated apps a person should have on their Android device that consist of:
• Anti-Virus app
• Locating a family member app
• Locating your Automotive devices app
• Locating your Mobile device app
• A good device location app that contains longitude and latitude and compass app
• Hotel or resort app
I'm well aware of the variations of information that may be posted here because of the fact that what's important to one person may not be important to the other. The reason for this question is because my little brother that has just turned 18 is going across country from Niagara Falls to Baja California by himself that never travel more than a couple hundred miles from where he lives in his entire life. I thought maybe if he can install some apps on his Android phone which he agreed to will help him get to his destination and help the family keep up with him if he just so happen to encounter some obstacles alone the way. Any app information will be greatly appreciated.

1. An Antivirus is not needed. It can't help you. Just don't download anything that didn't come from Play Store.
2. You can't locate a family member. You can locate their phone though, and hope they're holding it on their person. I personally use Cerberus. It's an anti-theft app that can also be used to locate a registered device to your account.
3. Locating automotive seems just like one of those remember where you parked apps.
4. For hotels, Trip Advisor seems a good option.

Upvote 0
1. An Antivirus is not needed. It can't help you. Just don't download anything that didn't come from Play Store.
2. You can't locate a family member. You can locate their phone though, and hope they're holding it on their person. I personally use Cerberus. It's an anti-theft app that can also be used to locate a registered device to your account.
3. Locating automotive seems just like one of those remember where you parked apps.
4. For hotels, Trip Advisor seems a good option.
You can't locate a family member. You can locate their phone though.
Thanks but this particular portion of your comment was a little redundant because that was the reason I was requesting information about Apps that can help with that function to install on their Android device. I know the device has to be on the person to locate the person.

Last edited:
Reactions: karasahin
Upvote 0
For location, GPS Status is good - quick location fixes, compass and very easy to send coordinates to someone else by sharing to other installed apps eg messages, gmail, etc.

For offline maps (which can all be downloaded before he goes) Osmand + (with free add on parking location feature ) is a good app which uses open streeetmaps.

Reactions: Phalon4
Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones