• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Accessories i need a good case for my Epic

ItsBenaWhile

Sep 22, 2010
i have got the epic. had it for a little and i take super good care of it. like only drunked it 2 feet on a hardwood flooer always cause i had been drinking. but i really wanna get a good case that will protect it. whats my best bet? or wait for a really good name brand to come out with one? thanks for anyone who helps

i have got the epic. had it for a little and i take super good care of it. like only drunked it 2 feet on a hardwood flooer always cause i had been drinking. but i really wanna get a good case that will protect it. whats my best bet? or wait for a really good name brand to come out with one? thanks for anyone who helps

be careful with using a case with this phone. I used the Seidio case for a few weeks and my screen became a bit loose. From what I saw, the case created a tiny separation between the screen and the keyboard. When I took the case off to clean some debris that had built up, I noticed that the screen developed a slight wiggle that it DID NOT have when I first purchased it.

I dont use the case anymore. Again I can't be 100% sure if the "wiggle" came from ONLY TWO WEEKS! of normal use or the case. I exchanged my Epic for a new one. Im gonna use it with out a case for a while as a test.

Upvote 0
I have the Seidio case ($23 from Amazon, free shipping w/Amazon Prime). I recommend it over the Radio Shack case because it doesn't obstruct the capacitive faux-hardkeys; they're annoying enough to deal with as it is without making them harder to touch).

My biggest complaint has to do with the relative placement of the power button, the volume rocker bar, and the case cutouts. When I grab the phone with my left hand, there's nowhere solid to put my thumb besides the case around the screen due to the need for a void around the volume rocker bar. However, at that point, 100% of my holding force is on the screen, with nothing solid to hold the lower half. When I press the power button with my index finger, the force pushes the keyboard open (or at least makes the phone feel disturbingly "jiggly". If I hold the phone with my thumb low enough to apply force to both the screen and bottom half of the phone, my index finger can't reach the power button.

I think most of the problem is due to the gap Seidio left for the wrist strap that nobody (I've seen) ever uses. I think it would be a lot better if Seidio just covered the wrist-strap hole with case, and punched a small-diameter hole in the case above the wrist-strap hole instead. Then, the thumb would have something solid on the lower half of the case to hold on to when pressing the power button with the finger.

Upvote 0
If you want to keep the phone naked but want a holster or pouch type thing, I just picked up this belt clip holster from ebay for $15. Very impresssed with it, and I can retire my $6 leather pouch off of ebay.
11844d1285892715-basic-plastic-belt-clip-holster-ebay-15-epicholster03.jpg

Upvote 0
That's where Seidio's innocase/holster combo comes into play. Then you can even get their dock (if/when they come out with one) that would be adjustable to work with their case.
I bought a rubberized case from Sprint when I bought the phone. Works great but . . . I can't use it with things like the docking station, the cool belt clip, or other holders. If only there were a way to have it all! :rolleyes:

Upvote 0
That's where Seidio's innocase/holster combo comes into play. Then you can even get their dock (if/when they come out with one) that would be adjustable to work with their case.

Ahhh, but will that fit into the official ProClip holder for the Epic for the car? Though I still might consider that option if it is quick and easy to remove and replace from the case. That way, the Epic would be protected when out of the car. Not much risk of a damaging drop inside of the car. Whaddya think now? :D

Edit: Looking at the web site, I see that it is another case that snaps over the phone. Looks like it wouldn't work for the car as I had hoped.

Upvote 0
The question is, do you want a charging cradle for the epic or is the standard holder fine? It really makes no sense to buy the standard Epic specific holder when you can just get their adjustable holder.

And I don't think any of those snap on cases are easy off. They're all two pieces and have little clips at certain spots on the phone regardless of who makes them. It's just the nature of hard cases on slider phones. And I know I would get frustrated having to take it on and off all the time. The other thing to think about is if they make a holder that allows the slider to work. Then you might be able to leave the top half on if only the bottom is sliding in. But depending on how the holder is cut out, the encased top half might not fit in the holder when the phone is closed.

Just seems like a lot to worry about and fiddle with. If you want to have an encased Epic, the adjustable just makes sense. But that's me, and I go naked with sliders and just use a holster.

Upvote 0
I don't think the Innocase REALLY loosens the slider mechanism... it just makes it FEEL looser when installed due to leverage differences caused by the cutouts. I've noticed that without the case, the phone doesn't feel nearly as "jiggly". It has nothing to do with forcing gaps (you can see that the tabs do nothing to spread apart the sections) and everything to do with guiding your fingers (and the force from them) into places where Samsung's designers weren't expecting users to apply force.

With the Innocase (and quite possibly other cases; this is just the only one I've personally experienced so far), the Evo feels enormously nicer and more solid than the Epic. Without the case, the difference between the "feel" of the two phones is nowhere near as extreme (I discovered this last night when I got mad at the jiggly-ness and decided to try using the phone without the case for a while).

I feel very, very strongly that a revised Innocase should just cover the wrist strap hole and replace it with a small hole in the right location punched through the plastic, and think a pliable rubber insert that slightly protrudes from the case and transmits force directly to the power button when the case is in place would go a long way towards mitigating the problem. Maybe it could even be kind of a separate adhesive-backed stick-on nub that fits the footprint of the power button. I might make a trip to Home Depot this afternoon to buy some stick-on rubber feet and see what I can carve with an x-acto knife...

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones