• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

I need a good reason not return this chunk of plastic

I was really excited about this phone. It was going to be my first high end phone.

I now see otherwise...

The GPS is HORRIBLE... damn useless being 2 miles from my location
The OV was so accurate, It knew I was in my living room.

The Camera has a noticed yellow center hue to it.
The OV had a smaller but a perfect camera.

The Headphone volume is not loud enough.
The OV was perfect.

Light leaks through the bezel on the bottom, and like always, dust will follow.
OV had some dust issues.

Horrible signal at my school. 1 or no bars.
OV had 3-4 bars.

Wifi also weaker

This is unacceptable Motorola. My first smart phone by Motorola too. I did not spend $326.46 for this "phone".

I have 26 days to return this. If at least the GPS gets fixed, I will keep it, if not... goodbye Motorola

I really liked this phone... but the OV is too small and weak.

Tl;dr
Up yours Motorola

EDIT: Thank you Motorola! Just what I needed... Screen Flickers!!! Gee Wiz!
/s

Well my autofocus just died. If there's one thing you need is patience. I've bought many phones secondhand and many had issues (as I've never liked contracts)... The Galaxy S series- what a trainwreak that was and makes the Triumph look like the best phone ever designed. While I owned my Galaxy I never used its GPS- never locked, never worked.

Now, that was a phone that MSRPed for 499 (now being sold for around 429 it seems)... The Triumph is budgeted to 299 (269 with a coupon I posted here).. With making a phone cheaper several things happen.

1. Q/A (Quality Assurance) goes down, meaning more phones with defects will hit the shelves and this is were completely testing your phone for functionality before your 30 days are up becomes important.
2. Specs go down, there's alot of crud in these phones! Gyros, accelerometers, cameras, autofocus mechanisms, expensive CPU's, radios, etc.. All jampacked into a little phone. It's really hard to force down the cost of these phones past a threshold and it's amazing the Triumph wasn't butchered even more- after all that is the single reason why pre-paid phones are normally so wimpy compared to their bigger cousins.
3. Leave room for profit, and this builds on the above issue. Most phones made for cell companies have little if any profit margin directly from the sale of the phone, as I understand it, even on phones that are sold out-of-contract. Manufacturers of Prepaids probably have to generate more profit from the sale of the phone and thus makes the #2 issue even harder!

All things said, the OV was a really nice phone, and what they saved in the cheaper processor, smaller screen, lack of HDMI, lack of a FFC, etc. rightfully went to other parts (namely a bit better radio & GPS). The Triumph is a push onto the uncharted budgeting tightrope.

If it doesn't meet your needs, replace it with something else. If you want a smartphone that's closer to perfection, go to a contract carrier. Cheap phones and 2 years to pay off what you don't spend up front. If you want no contract, buy their 600 dollar phones and go off contract. ;3 I came from T-Mobile's contract-free service. It's expensive, but it isn't bad.

Fair warning though, hiding among those "perfect" contract-carrier phones are awful lot of bad ones too! Be sure to do your research. :3

UPDATE
: BTW, my GPS on the Triumph works perfectly (locks in under 10 seconds and is accurate down to a few feet), and before the camera's autofocus died I never noticed any yellow center hue. The light leaks I don't observe on mine. Wifi strength is equal to that of both my G1, Vibrant (galaxy), and Dell Streak (which all fade at about the same distance). I still think you might've snagged a bad unit.
The volume weakness on the 3.5 & weakness in reception- now those I think you'll find in common with any of these phones sadly.. This may improve in software updates a little, but I wouldn't expect any anytime soon.

Reactions: JerBurdett
Upvote 0
I dont understand how people think they deserve greatness for free. You get what you pay for, and honestly your getting a hell of deal with the triumph. If you dont like it, guy to a big boy network and get a real superphone
I don't either, and I think that the phone is not bad of a deal for what it is which is the point that they clearly are missing.

GPS: works great for me. Holding/placing it vertically yields MUCH greater accuracy, 6.1' for me yesterday which is 9' better than the OV ever did...

Signal: I don't buy 3-4 v. 1 on the MT, maybe 1 or 2 v. 1 on the MT. The difference in signal stength between the two have been about 5-7dBm lower for everyone else...

camera: well, duh, buy a camera.

Upvote 0
I dont understand how people think they deserve greatness for free. You get what you pay for, and honestly your getting a hell of deal with the triumph. If you dont like it, guy to a big boy network and get a real superphone
...and I really don't get how after all the moaning about the OV that suddenly it's the best evar when it was really just an obsolete phone right from the get go with OK performance...

Upvote 0
you got a lemon,take it back and get a new one,i got lucky,not one thing wrong with mine so far. im happy with it.

I think this is the case. I got mine at radio shack on Monday, and have no screen flicker, no yellow tint on the camera, much better reception than my Intercept, wife works just fine, and I got a GPS lock in a few seconds.

It looks like there much have been a good sized batch of defective phones out there given the screen flicker issue a lot of people are reporting.

Exchange the phone and try out the new one.

Upvote 0
My only complaints are 1: My gps does not work at all, 2: Only Motorola USB cable works, the only thing I can do with another usb cable is charge the phone after its turned off, THATS IT! I am about to exchange this one out for another to see how that does me.....:thinking: My Optimus was amazing BTW
1. works for most people, exchange it
2. Nope. Doesn't work with my OV cable(or charge unless powered down) but works fine with another genero cable and also charges while on with it...

OV was meh(it's best feature by far was that it was nearly infinitely better than the intercept), but it got me a smart phone on a cheap plan and had integrated GPS but beyond that really... 170MB onboard storage?! Ancient ARM11 based SoC? (at least it wasn't a rockchip SoC) camera was crap, but it was a phone and I guess OK for a phone/mobile device... ...and worst of all offense tiny screen and relatively low res. Seriously I could never go back to full time using the OV now that they have the MT, but I'll be keeping it for emergency use i.e. in case something happens to my current best VMUSA phone as long as I use them...

Upvote 0
Just tried my gps... locked on in seconds and I'm indoors. Weird. Also my headphone volume is so loud I had it set to the very first little notch of yellow and that was good enough for me lol
Mine probably took longer because I have ALOT of VERY large trees around here and actually all over the neighborhood... leaves block low power radio fairly efficiently...

Upvote 0
Anyone notice a clicking sound when the camera is trying to focus? Whenever I use the barcode type apps and it's focusing onto the barcode there is a distinct click sound happening.

It happens sometimes when just using the camera now as well, it seems to be defective or at least heading toward that direction. Does anyone notice any sounds when the camera is focusing like clicks?

Upvote 0
Anyone notice a clicking sound when the camera is trying to focus? Whenever I use the barcode type apps and it's focusing onto the barcode there is a distinct click sound happening.

It happens sometimes when just using the camera now as well, it seems to be defective or at least heading toward that direction. Does anyone notice any sounds when the camera is focusing like clicks?

Return it. Hah!
Same exact thing happened to my phone and the autofocus went completely bad! I could keep it at infinity by turning autofocus off, but that made anything closer than a few feet burry.
Started with a clicking that it did since right out've box, about 60 pictures later it just completely gave out. Everytime I turned it on autofocus it clicks and goes out of focus just as I take a picture (clicking, I am in-the-dark guessing, is probably the lens rotating to its limit and smacking a stopper which limits how much the lens can rotate in while focusing)

~But the clicking might be normal I guess, I've never heard another phone make a clicking, I assume it's just a result of the autofocus failing.~

Upvote 0
I have similar problems:

1. GPS will not connect in doors

2. Auto focus gave out **I found a fix for this**

3. Wifi will not stay connected; especially when I have WiMax turned on my other phones.

4. Qik video chat crashes on open. Soon as you click 2 way video chat App crashes and displays "Sorry" error message, but all other buttons works as intended. Meaning I can record and share, video mail, video gallery and have no problems, but if 2 way video chat is clicked app force closes and asks me to report.

5. Camera displays dark colors in a distorted/ blurry resolution.

6. HDMI out mirrors and works perfect right out the box, but if I turn screen off remove cord the phone dies or shuts down and has to be rebooted.

**My fix for the camera was to go in the applications manager force shut down clear data and start back up. After starting disable auto focus before shooting a pic, and boom problem fixed. FYI auto focus is done it aint coming back. Leave it off and your pics will be perfect. Seems like the lenz gets stuck on something. Clicking is normal I assume because most of my phones click I think it is the shutter and lenz moving and rotating.

I do not have any problems using multiple USB cables from other phones for power and HDMI out. Mable you can try using different cables.

I usually do not get warranties from best buy, but this time I did. BBs warranty was an offer I could not refuse. The BB warranty replaces the phone if it is damaged in anyway that BB cannot fix. for 39 extra bucks you get as many replacements as you need in the 1st year and 1 in the last, so compared to most other insurance on phones this was a steal. This is a good way to protect your 300 dollar investment. The minute I get some off time this one will get swapped out. Hopefully MOTO will make a 2nd gen version and I will just swap for that one when it comes out.

If any of you guys purchased from BB I would recommend getting the warranty because it looks like this batch has a lot of defects. I have seen others on youtube with screen problems and such. Luckily its not me, but I will swap at least once to get my monies worth. Even if I have to water damage it myself once or twice. You have up to 30 days to purchase the warranty from BB after you purchased the phone.

Its sad because I had high hopes for this one. Its still a good phone. The screen out performs others in the sunlight. Its fast! Its no skin Android. Good size w8 and feel. Doesn't feel cheap well it wasn't cheap its 300 bucks mine was closer to 4 with the warranty. Whoever says this phone was cheap at 3+ hundred dollars must be rich. I paid 2 for my Evo 3D subsidized and 430 for the E4G flat out, so its definitely in that price range. The plans are almost the same also.

Upvote 0
Well my autofocus just died. If there's one thing you need is patience. I've bought many phones secondhand and many had issues (as I've never liked contracts)... The Galaxy S series- what a trainwreak that was and makes the Triumph look like the best phone ever designed. While I owned my Galaxy I never used its GPS- never locked, never worked.

Now, that was a phone that MSRPed for 499 (now being sold for around 429 it seems)... The Triumph is budgeted to 299 (269 with a coupon I posted here).. With making a phone cheaper several things happen.

1. Q/A (Quality Assurance) goes down, meaning more phones with defects will hit the shelves and this is were completely testing your phone for functionality before your 30 days are up becomes important.
2. Specs go down, there's alot of crud in these phones! Gyros, accelerometers, cameras, autofocus mechanisms, expensive CPU's, radios, etc.. All jampacked into a little phone. It's really hard to force down the cost of these phones past a threshold and it's amazing the Triumph wasn't butchered even more- after all that is the single reason why pre-paid phones are normally so wimpy compared to their bigger cousins.
3. Leave room for profit, and this builds on the above issue. Most phones made for cell companies have little if any profit margin directly from the sale of the phone, as I understand it, even on phones that are sold out-of-contract. Manufacturers of Prepaids probably have to generate more profit from the sale of the phone and thus makes the #2 issue even harder!

All things said, the OV was a really nice phone, and what they saved in the cheaper processor, smaller screen, lack of HDMI, lack of a FFC, etc. rightfully went to other parts (namely a bit better radio & GPS). The Triumph is a push onto the uncharted budgeting tightrope.

If it doesn't meet your needs, replace it with something else. If you want a smartphone that's closer to perfection, go to a contract carrier. Cheap phones and 2 years to pay off what you don't spend up front. If you want no contract, buy their 600 dollar phones and go off contract. ;3 I came from T-Mobile's contract-free service. It's expensive, but it isn't bad.

Fair warning though, hiding among those "perfect" contract-carrier phones are awful lot of bad ones too! Be sure to do your research. :3

UPDATE
: BTW, my GPS on the Triumph works perfectly (locks in under 10 seconds and is accurate down to a few feet), and before the camera's autofocus died I never noticed any yellow center hue. The light leaks I don't observe on mine. Wifi strength is equal to that of both my G1, Vibrant (galaxy), and Dell Streak (which all fade at about the same distance). I still think you might've snagged a bad unit.
The volume weakness on the 3.5 & weakness in reception- now those I think you'll find in common with any of these phones sadly.. This may improve in software updates a little, but I wouldn't expect any anytime soon.

Stop Trolling. Android Police called this one of the hottest phones of the summer. Real super phone? I have real super phones and this is every bit a super phones as those are. My Evo 4 g had a light leak issue, does that make it not a super phone? It also had defective screen adhesive. Is it still not a real super phone? It was made totally out of plastic. Is it not a "real" super phone? Who cares what your personal opinion is because it was phone of the year last year. The Evo 3D has an overheating issue does that make it a non super phone.

If you knew anything about smartphones are technology in general you would no that early adopters always get the defects. The defects get sorted out and every body lives happily ever after. Most of these problems can probably be fixed with a small OTA software update Mr. they put crud in these phones.

Upvote 0
I was really excited about this phone. It was going to be my first high end phone.

I now see otherwise...

The GPS is HORRIBLE... damn useless being 2 miles from my location
The OV was so accurate, It knew I was in my living room.

The Camera has a noticed yellow center hue to it.
The OV had a smaller but a perfect camera.

The Headphone volume is not loud enough.
The OV was perfect.

Light leaks through the bezel on the bottom, and like always, dust will follow.
OV had some dust issues.

Horrible signal at my school. 1 or no bars.
OV had 3-4 bars.

Wifi also weaker

This is unacceptable Motorola. My first smart phone by Motorola too. I did not spend $326.46 for this "phone".

I have 26 days to return this. If at least the GPS gets fixed, I will keep it, if not... goodbye Motorola

I really liked this phone... but the OV is too small and weak.

Tl;dr
Up yours Motorola

EDIT: Thank you Motorola! Just what I needed... Screen Flickers!!! Gee Wiz!
/s

Yeah, and OOTB the OV spends 50% of it;s time searching for a cell signal and destroys your battery trying to reconnect. Also the screen is garbage, and the hardware keys wear out way to quickly. And it's slow as a dog

But other than that a perfect device.

The MT isn't perfect, but it blows the OV out of the water.

Upvote 0
This is an extremely stupid post. For $300, I agree with the OP, those problems shouldn't exist.

Considering phones that sell for hundreds of dollars more have almost the exact same issues as this much cheaper alternative on a much cheaper network, Id say to be so upset with growing pains is in fact "Extremely stupid". Give motorola/virgin their due time to get these things figured out. And if it truly is just a lemon, then instead of making a ridiculously angry post this person should have just exchanged it for a new one.

Point is, don't bitch about a phone that does almost all of what top of the line phones do that costs a fraction of the price if its not absolutely perfect on day one...Seems to be Smartphone 101.

I don't either, and I think that the phone is not bad of a deal for what it is which is the point that they clearly are missing.

Exactly. Its a budget phone on a budget network that does almost as much as the top of the line phones. Why complain?

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones