• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

I Need a Screen Protector-- I feel ripped off

4ubest

Android Enthusiast
Mar 31, 2012
Brooksville/Spring Hill
I need to get a screen protector for my LG Connect 4G phone as right now I really feel ripped off. I paid $11 for a MetroPCS store operator to put one on my phone and today in my pocket, I went to take out my phone and it had peeled off and had fabric hairs on the sticky side so it is useless.

Please recommend a better solution that I can use that will not have the bubble problem that the Metro Store spent 5 minutes trying to totally remove and even so was not 100% successful.

Also I did not want to pay their price for a stylus and I am looking for one that I can get online that works with this phone...

The problem I have seen with screen protectors for this phone is that they have the top right area completely removed instead of cutouts for the sensor and camera. Because of that there are sharp edges that can easily pull back letting dust and lint get under it. Personally, I am not going to use one. This phone has Gorilla Glass so it is not easy to scratch.

Upvote 0
The problem I have seen with screen protectors for this phone is that they have the top right area completely removed instead of cutouts for the sensor and camera. Because of that there are sharp edges that can easily pull back letting dust and lint get under it. Personally, I am not going to use one. This phone has Gorilla Glass so it is not easy to scratch.

I was wondering if Gorilla Glass is effective or just a sales gimmick but your statement causes me to reconsider the need for a protector.. Do other LG Connect 4G users agree ?

Upvote 0
I was wondering if Gorilla Glass is effective or just a sales gimmick but your statement causes me to reconsider the need for a protector.. Do other LG Connect 4G users agree ?

It is not indestructible, but it is not just marketing. Go on the Gorilla Glass website where they have demonstration videos. They abuse it more than the average person will and it holds up. I would say that it will protect against anything your finger or inside of your pocket can throw at it. I doubt it would help if you drop it on say a gravel path, but a thin sheet of plastic probably wouldn't help in that kind of situation either.

Reactions: SegamanXero
Upvote 0
i bought a case for this phone because it had a kickstand but you cant use the kickstand and charge the phone at the same time and it makes it very hard to push the power button so i dont use it anymore.

never had a screen protector and dont feel i need one, but thats coming from someone who isnt dropping their phone all the time. the screen isnt gonna get scratched while its in your pocket.

Upvote 0

Gorilla Glass is pretty tough. I have demonstrated the futility of Zagg Invisisheilds on tablets/phones with Gorilla Glass. I have a Cowon S9 & J3 I have demonstrated with, both have Gorilla Glass. Normal care and use it should protect your screen underneath the glass just fine. I have physically sliced and poked at the glass with a knife, no marks were left. There was one time it looked like a mark was left, but a quick wipe with a felt/microfiber cloth cleared it away!

Zagg Invisisheilds are awesome for phones and devices that don't have Gorilla Glass or any other comparable scratch/shatter resistant glass. For things that have Gorilla Glass or comparable protection, it is a rip off, same goes for any other screen protection film.

Upvote 0
To the OP'er.

I work for metropcs and everyday I take a razor blade and demonstrate how the gorilla glass is scratch resistent and try to slice my screen.

I do this at least 7-10times a day.

Gorilla is for real an amazing addition to phones.

The reason screen protectors have a hard time staying on gorilla glass screens is be cause of its surface.

It doesn't even absorb oils from your skin.

Reactions: SegamanXero
Upvote 0
Im sorry but you are wrong. They definitely were one of the first people to use it. It's debated whether they use it now. Anyways on topic. The lg lucid is very close so I'm sure that will work.

they have their own technology. developed it with the ipad when it first came out. their screens scratch resistance is rediculously lame from ipod touch to iphone to ipad and they are extremely prone to shattering

Upvote 0
I bought two and went through them pretty quick because of the edges peeling up and getting dirt under them and the look bothered me. The second one the guy left dust under it. After I removed it though, I HAVE dropped it on gravel several times (I have a rock yard), dropped it in parking lots, down stairs, and absolutely no scratches or sign of damage whatsoever.

Upvote 0
i bought a case for this phone because it had a kickstand but you cant use the kickstand and charge the phone at the same time and it makes it very hard to push the power button so i dont use it anymore.

never had a screen protector and dont feel i need one, but thats coming from someone who isnt dropping their phone all the time. the screen isnt gonna get scratched while its in your pocket.

Um, you can too use the kick stand and charger, just stand the phone on the right instead of left side. ;) unless you got some connect case I've never seen the all are hinged at the top of the phone and hold it any way but upside down.

And other than this phone all my devices (om, os, om+, esteem, attain, admire, m835, ascend, epic 4g) have at least one scratch from being in my pocket.
The screen protector on my connect is marred but I actually have it to help reduce the risk of spiderwebbing if I do manage to crack it, a lesson I learned from my father's iphone4.
Oh, and apple developed their own glass for the og iPhone after jobs carried a prototype with a plastic screen and it got ruined in his pocket by his keys but it's not nearly as good as true gorilla glass.

Upvote 0
Got one that came with the gel case I bought from a MetroPCS Corporate store. Never applied it though, since well Gorilla glass is pretty tough.

Gorilla glass is pretty tough, I have both a Cowon S9 & J3 that I have had for years. Both of which have stood up to everything I have thrown at them. I have even dropped them many times, and they was fine.

BUT!!! I am on my second Connect 4G!!! My first Connect 4G had a little accident. I was playing a super nintendo emulator on it, and managed to butter finger it. I dropped hard onto faux wood flooring and slide like 12 feet across the floor. It developed two slight fine scratches on it. It was barely noticeable, but it did crack. I was able to exchange it at best buy, saying the Gorilla Glass was "defective". Gorilla Glass is NOT impervious, if it was any other type of glass protecting it... it would of spider-webbed up and became unusable. Also the boarder/bezel on the Connect 4G is a lot smaller then my other devices I have with Gorilla Glass. So the there isn't much for the shock from the fall to go on it, except for all over the screen. This is why I ended up going with a gel case, hopefully if I butterfinger it again, the gel case will absorb the most of the shock and not the glass it self.

Upvote 0
Um, you can too use the kick stand and charger, just stand the phone on the right instead of left side. ;) unless you got some connect case I've never seen the all are hinged at the top of the phone and hold it any way but upside down.

And other than this phone all my devices (om, os, om+, esteem, attain, admire, m835, ascend, epic 4g) have at least one scratch from being in my pocket.
The screen protector on my connect is marred but I actually have it to help reduce the risk of spiderwebbing if I do manage to crack it, a lesson I learned from my father's iphone4.
Oh, and apple developed their own glass for the og iPhone after jobs carried a prototype with a plastic screen and it got ruined in his pocket by his keys but it's not nearly as good as true gorilla glass.

then you got a different kickstand than i got. my kickstand opens up to where the phone has to sit on the charger side making the charger inaccessible. you got a link to the one you have?

steve jobs was dumb for putting his phone in the same pocket as his keys.

Upvote 0
then you got a different kickstand than i got. my kickstand opens up to where the phone has to sit on the charger side making the charger inaccessible. you got a link to the one you have?

steve jobs was dumb for putting his phone in the same pocket as his keys.

I can send you one.
Hybrid silicon with a plastic inner shell. Exterior color is red.

Got it at the metro store, non corporate. Pm me and we can figure something out.

I can also source a black/grey one if you prefer. (Friend manages a metro store) I believe it's like $10-12 + s/h for the black/grey. Red would be just shipping as I already have it and don't use it.

They both make the phone about the same size as an esteem which is too big for me but apparently perfect for most other people.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones