• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

I need Galaxy keyboard with voice input APK

mslisaj

Android Enthusiast
Feb 11, 2010
Klamath Falls, Oregon
I had a 2015 vintage Grand Prime that I just loved. I get a notice from Sprint that my CDMA phone is going away in six months. So I buy a used Grand Prime with the same OS but will run on a GSMA network. I completely clone my old phone into this new one and all is working well BUT the stock Galaxy keyboard does not have voice input and there is no option to trigger it. What I think is going on is Sprint bought a more deluxe model with the upgraded keyboard and my "new" T-mobile vintage phone did not have the better keyboard. I truly miss the voice keyboard and am looking for the Samsung keyboard that was in my old phone. Does anyone know where I could get that clean apk and install it on my phone? I'm trying to stay away from the "play store" as I don't want all the extra junk that comes with that stuff.

Thanks so much for your help.

P.S. Comparing the two phones my sprint phone has "Google Voice Typing" option in the language and input section and the Tmobil does not. So I'm looking for the "Google voice typing" apk or what ever. Also my phone is not rooted.

Last edited:
Thanks ocnbrze for taking your time to respond. I tried gboard but it needed me to update google app and I am at the highest update for that service with this device. Swiftkey didn't have a speach to text function. This is why I was looking for the original Samsun/google voice option to add to my phone as it worked with my Sprint version of the Grand Prime. Buying a house, buying a car from a dealer or dealing with a smart phone all rate up there with the top of the list hassles to deal with. Nothing simple about any of this process.

Again thank you for your help as I do appreciate it.

Upvote 0
Thanks ocnbrze for taking your time to respond. I tried gboard but it needed me to update google app and I am at the highest update for that service with this device. Swiftkey didn't have a speach to text function. This is why I was looking for the original Samsun/google voice option to add to my phone as it worked with my Sprint version of the Grand Prime. Buying a house, buying a car from a dealer or dealing with a smart phone all rate up there with the top of the list hassles to deal with. Nothing simple about any of this process.

Again thank you for your help as I do appreciate it.
swiftkey does have speech to text:
https://support.swiftkey.com/hc/en-...e-to-Text-with-Microsoft-SwiftKey-on-Android-

Upvote 0
Well ocenbrze you are so correct and it works very well and epually as good as the old "google voice keyboard" that was a Samsung product. I've been using the Samsung keyboard for years so I'm going to have to get used to this one and the layout of it as there area a few things that are different but it does indeed work. I'm having to download a few themes to find one that I can see easily but it does work and I thank you for hanging in there with me and sending me the support page. I had to download the app a second time to really try it out as that microphone is well hidden in the straight version and upon a quick look at settings I didn't see it. But again thank you so much. I use this for awhile and see how it goes but this restored the functionality that I lost in the switch.

Thank you sincerely sir.

Best regards,

Lisa

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones