• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Root i need help asap!

so i rooted my evo a while ago and have flashed a couple roms..yesterday i flashed the warm twopointtwo rls 5 rom and its been working good the whole day, but i started playing music on phone in my car then added the setcpu setting for charging to make the processor faster because the song would freeze when a text would come in. after the phone froze and reset but now it wont fully turn on..it gets to the white htc evo 4g screen then stays on for 2 secs then shuts off then turns back on again..did i brick my phone? someone please help

so i rooted my evo a while ago and have flashed a couple roms..yesterday i flashed the warm twopointtwo rls 5 rom and its been working good the whole day, but i started playing music on phone in my car then added the setcpu setting for charging to make the processor faster because the song would freeze when a text would come in. after the phone froze and reset but now it wont fully turn on..it gets to the white htc evo 4g screen then stays on for 2 secs then shuts off then turns back on again..did i brick my phone? someone please help

First off, welcome to the forum :). No, you didn't brick your phone, you're stuck in a boot loop. What did you scale your phone up to when you changed your setting in SetCPU? If you scaled it too high your phone is likely to lock up and reboot.

Upvote 0
yea i scaled it to the highest..and yea i did a battery pull and rebooted but it kept boot looping..i cant even get to the recovery nandroid screen cuz when it gets to the white htc evo screen it keeps boot looping

I'm assuming you had "Set At Boot" in SetCPU checked when you scaled it to its' highest. For future reference, very few can scale higher than 1152 w/o the phone locking up. Start at 998 and scale up slowly from there.

Pull your battery, place battery back in, then press and hold the power button, while holding volume down. That will take you to hboot. Once their, wait a sec. (your phone will check for PC36IMG.zip) then, with your volume keys, navigate to recovery and press power to select. Do you know what to do once you're in recovery?

Upvote 0
Upvote 0
Here is a thread where people have experienced the EXACT same thing. If it's a different problem than what they had, then one of the answers provided in the thread will solve it. If it's the same, then probably not. This is a very uncommon occurrence and myself and a few other people I know would love to know what causes this so we can address it in the future.

http://androidforums.com/evo-4g-support-troubleshooting/267018-struck-boot-loop.html

Are you on an AOSP ROM by any chance?

Upvote 0
does anyone have the original sprint PC36IMG zip file..my phone is stuck in a boot loop and one of my friends told me that might help..any help would be much appreciated

This should get you back to a bootable state:

[ROM] 01/26/11 | SPRINT LOVERS | 2.2 | 3.70.651.1 | Radio/Wimax/PRI All-In-One - xda-developers

-Copy the PC36IMG.zip to the root of your SD Card
-Power off your phone
-While holding the VOLUME DOWN button, power on your phone into bootloader
-The phone will scan for a PC36IMG.zip
-Once prompted, install the update and reboot

Mods can you move this thread to the thread named http://androidforums.com/evo-4g-all-things-root/275908-i-need-help-asap.html

Upvote 0
it keeps staying on the white evo screen..if i can just get to recovery ill be happy..but at least its not boot looping anymore lol

It sounds like you've followed the instructions from a very old thread. What hboot version do you have now? Also, I need you to go to hboot, select recovery, and verify that it's not working. You said you tried the PC36IMG.zip for Sprint Lovers, correct?

Upvote 0
i started playing music on phone in my car then added the setcpu setting for charging to make the processor faster because the song would freeze when a text would come in. after the phone started boot looping..but i was running warm twopointtwo rls 5 with Netarchy Toastmod 4.3.2 CFS more HAVS nosbc kerna..and i do have back ups but i cant get to the recovery screen

Upvote 0
i started playing music on phone in my car then added the setcpu setting for charging to make the processor faster because the song would freeze when a text would come in. after the phone started boot looping..but i was running warm twopointtwo rls 5 with Netarchy Toastmod 4.3.2 CFS more HAVS nosbc kerna..and i do have back ups but i cant get to the recovery screen

I don't know if you've read the entire thread he started earlier Akazabam, but he scaled his CPU to the max setting, which caused the phone to lock up and reboot.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones