• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Root I need help! I have an INCREDIBLE issue!!

mkhang

Jan 15, 2011
Ok so I finally decided to root my phone this past Friday. WOohoO! :D Only problem is, I'm almost positive something went wrong. I rooted my phone for the wireless tether and for over clocking and removal of bloatware. I flashed CM7 and nothing went wrong. Later in the evening my phone suddenly rebooted ITSELF and it stayed on the CM7 launch screen. The load screen where he rides his skateboard over and over and it took forever to actually load. Since then, nothing went wrong. Today, I turned off my phone so I can fully charge it. Since then, I can't get my phone to fully load. It will stay on the CM7 launch screen(with the skate boarding android guy) and from time to time it will ATTEMPT to load. After the SD Card is mounted, it will reboot itself and repeat. I checked the notifications bar and it said my Memory Card MIGHT be corrupted. Does anyone know my problem and a possible solution? Will I have to factory reset and will that even help? Will I have to reformat my memory card and possibly lose all my music/pictures/etc? What do I do?! :'(

Try booting up without the memory card.

You can copy the contents off the memory card, then format it, then copy the stuff back to it.

But sounds like you need to do a factory reset and wipe the dalvik cache under the advanced menu in clockwork and reflash the rom.

To flash cm7, to have the best chance of success, you should be using clockwork 3.****, but be warned that once you flash that version of clockwork that you may have trouble flashing most other roms and flashing back to an older version of clockwork (2.5.1.2 seems to work for most).

Upvote 0
You can copy the contents of the original sd to the new the new one, if needed. You should have your apps backed up to titanium backup.

BUT FIRST, i'd try to boot into recovery and do a factory reset, wipe the dalvik cache(in the advanced menu), and reflash the rom. What version of clockwork are you using? the newest cm7 roms require 3.0.0.5 to function properly.

Upvote 0
You can copy the contents of the original sd to the new the new one, if needed. You should have your apps backed up to titanium backup.

BUT FIRST, i'd try to boot into recovery and do a factory reset, wipe the dalvik cache(in the advanced menu), and reflash the rom. What version of clockwork are you using? the newest cm7 roms require 3.0.0.5 to function properly.

I'm not sure which version of clockwork I was using, but it had to have been the most updated version seeing as it was the first time I had downloaded it from the market. I'm not too savvy on how to flash roms. I had a friend do most of the root/flash. Any tips?

Upvote 0

I'm not sure which version of clockwork I was using, but it had to have been the most updated version seeing as it was the first time I had downloaded it from the market. I'm not too savvy on how to flash roms. I had a friend do most of the root/flash while I watched. How would I go about reflashing?

Upvote 0
The rom should still be on your sd card, so all you should have to do is boot into clockwork, select the factory reset/wipe data option, then go to the advanced menu and wipe the dalvik cache, then go back to the main menu and choose to install rom from sd card and find and flash cm7.

In recovery, the trackball selects items and the power button will take you back a screen.

Upvote 0
The rom should still be on your sd card, so all you should have to do is boot into clockwork, select the factory reset/wipe data option, then go to the advanced menu and wipe the dalvik cache, then go back to the main menu and choose to install rom from sd card and find and flash cm7.

In recovery, the trackball selects items and the power button will take you back a screen.

I don't have to make a nandroid backup or anything like that do I? I hope not, because I'm currently in the middle of reflashing CM7 haha. I checked and I'm running Clockwork 3.0.0.5 also. Will I also have to download all my apps? I downloaded Titanium backup and I'm almost positive that I backed them all up also. But I'm not 100% sure. Hopefully this works!

Upvote 0
You can just try to reformat your existing card, boot into clockwork, plug your phone into a computer, in clockwork go to mounts and storage, and mount the sd card, on your computer find the sd card and copy all the data off of it, then format it to fat32, do NOT do a quick format. Then copy all the data back. While you are at it, you may want to download a fresh copy of the rom.

Then try flashing the rom again AFTER, doing another factory reset and dalvik cache wipe.

Upvote 0
You can just try to reformat your existing card, boot into clockwork, plug your phone into a computer, in clockwork go to mounts and storage, and mount the sd card, on your computer find the sd card and copy all the data off of it, then format it to fat32, do NOT do a quick format. Then copy all the data back. While you are at it, you may want to download a fresh copy of the rom.

Then try flashing the rom again AFTER, doing another factory reset and dalvik cache wipe.

How will I reformat my existing card? I can't even get into settings on my phone without it trying to reboot CM7. I can get to the home screen for about 15seconds, then CM7 reboots itself. And how do I format my card to fat32?

Upvote 0
The instructions to format the card are in my previous post, the sd card can be mounted from clockwork. Once mounted to your computer, you can right click on the drive and select format.

Alright thanks! I'll give this a shot after I get off work. I'm gonna grab a new SD card just incase, but I'll try to reformat my 16gig first. Let's hope this works! Knock on wood! :D

Upvote 0
I haven't actually tried that. What would I do afterwards?

another option,wich would hopefully get you your phone back for now if you need it would be to simply wipe,then do a restore of your stock rom,or any rom that you previously used that had worked well for you. :)

you could then redownload and flash cm7 at a different time.

i just got my incredibe,and i started with RC1. i flashed #2 ovetop of that and so far ive found it very smooth.

a word on recoveries once you get it up and running again: i used RA_GNM to flash cm7 instead of clockword mod. im not saying you shouldnt use clockwork 3.0.0.5 to flash it,but plenty of people are flashing cm7 with 2.5.x.x and RA_GNM and not having issue. the newer version of clockwork is not yet required by cyanogenmod.

if your phone had 3.0.0.5 on t from the beginning you wont have any issues... but if you made backups with 2.5.x.x people are finding that the newer version will not restore them :eek:

the only point im trying to make i guess is that if you find you do not yet have clockwork 3.0.0.5,i would NOT make efforts to get it. further... i would try pretty hard to avoid it untill its absolutely needed to install cyanogenmod's roms.

Upvote 0
another option,wich would hopefully get you your phone back for now if you need it would be to simply wipe,then do a restore of your stock rom,or any rom that you previously used that had worked well for you. :)

How do I go about getting the stock rom? Do I have to download that also? This is my first time flashing so I'm not exactly 100% sure. And when you say wipe, I assume you mean COMPLETE wipe of my SD Card? Or just a wipe of the ROM itself? How would I go about doing that?

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones