• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Root I need help Involving downloading roms

okay so im relatively new to all of this but i recently rooted my droid x with "z4root" and i currently run "Superuser premium" to manage my roms and i use "ROM Manager Premium" to download and install them. The only problem is when i try to download roms and my phone reboots the roms dont seem to take and thus nothing happens. I looked at my OTA and it says "the ROM you are using does not support the OTA updates." so i was wondering if anyone could guide me to fixing the problem!!? PLEASE!

okay so im relatively new to all of this but i recently rooted my droid x with "z4root" and i currently run "Superuser premium" to manage my roms and i use "ROM Manager Premium" to download and install them.

The only problem is when i try to download roms and my phone reboots the roms dont seem to take and thus nothing happens. I looked at my OTA and it says "the ROM you are using does not support the OTA updates." so i was wondering if anyone could guide me to fixing the problem!!? PLEASE!

Hello HxCZombieXd00d, and welcome to the forums.

Have you successfully installed a working ROM yet? Your statement, "i currently run "Superuser premium" to manage my roms and i use "ROM Manager Premium" to download and install them" implies that you're not having that trouble with every ROM.

Also, are you able to go into the recovery menu and flash from there?

Upvote 0
i guess i should have said i use superuser premium for my rooted apps but im just curious to why when i download the rom from "Rom Manager" it finishes the download the it tells me to reboot to let the changes take effect, and when it does reboot it goes from the motorola "M" screen to the red droid eye screen to the home, theres no boot screen. Is there something i should be doing?

Upvote 0
okay so im relatively new to all of this but i recently rooted my droid x with "z4root" and i currently run "Superuser premium" to manage my roms and i use "ROM Manager Premium" to download and install them. The only problem is when i try to download roms and my phone reboots the roms dont seem to take and thus nothing happens. I looked at my OTA and it says "the ROM you are using does not support the OTA updates." so i was wondering if anyone could guide me to fixing the problem!!? PLEASE!

Try the Koush DroidX recovery tool.
This works better in a lot of situations.
Droid X Recovery Bootstrap - Android app on AppBrain

Upvote 0
what he said^
(if you download your rom off the internet you can drop on your sd card from your computer....then follow the manual install instructions form the developer).

example:

apex:
http://androidforums.com/droid-x-al...-droid-2-refinement-ease-use-2-22-2011-a.html

"-Place file on your sdcard. Bootstrap recovery and reboot recovery
-Select Factory Reset (delete data/cache)
-Return to previous menu and install .zip from sd card
-Choose ApeX and install!"

Upvote 0
what he said^
(if you download your rom off the internet you can drop on your sd card from your computer....then follow the manual install instructions form the developer).

example:

apex:
http://androidforums.com/droid-x-al...-droid-2-refinement-ease-use-2-22-2011-a.html

"-Place file on your sdcard. Bootstrap recovery and reboot recovery
-Select Factory Reset (delete data/cache)
-Return to previous menu and install .zip from sd card
-Choose ApeX and install!"

i noticed you said select factory reset, does that mean its actually going to restore it to factory settings?

Upvote 0
i noticed you said select factory reset, does that mean its actually going to restore it to factory settings?
yeah, actually i qouted that; but it threw me off too....

i think it just means select "clear data" and "clear cache"....

it will delete everything; but not send back to factory conditions (not sure why he used that term....though i usually do something like that in settings/privacy after installing a rom).

the refrence though is to when your in bootstrap recovery to do those.

if your phone is set to sync your contacts then once everything is installed your contacts will be restored and the market should re download your apps.

--------------------
here is how i install a rom i plan on using a while, or anytime really:

- download on computer and put on sd card
- diconnect from computer
- bootstrap in to recovery
- go in to advanced and clear dalvik then clear battery stats
- back to menu and clear data and cache
- then mounts and mount system and data (will say unmount on both after you have mounted)
- install from zip and chose the rom then install
- reboot
- once back inside android and running the new rom go in to settings/privacy and do a factory reset
- once back in to android do an additional reboot
- then let my contacts sync back to the phone and go in to the market and make sure my apps are downloading again.
- then set phone back up the way i like and do any other add ons i want.

some will tell you this is overkill, but thats how i do it.

i figure if im running the rom after going through all that to set up, and there is something about the rom i dont like and cant fix....then im not running that rom anymore.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones