1. Download our Official Android App: Forums for Android!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

General I need help! On my fifth nexus due to screen issues

Discussion in 'Android Devices' started by droblyer, Dec 29, 2011.

1. droblyer

droblyer Well-Known Member
    None

Aug 19, 2010
    Im on my fifth nexus, four due to screen issues. Please try the following and tell me if Im crazy or not, lol, verizon thinks I am but what else is new! You MUST be in a dark room for this (another reason I can't replicate this at Verizon store). Open up the settings menu then pull down the notification bar, do things look purple? Try this with brightness at different levels. Also anywhere with the keyboard open pull the notification bar down, do the letters on the keyboard look purple? Try different brightness levels here too. Also when the keyboard is open with brightness up the spacebar and other keys look black like they are supposed to, but when I turn the brightness down the keys on keyboard look purple, especially the spacebar.

Four of the five I've had have had this purple. One, my original did not or at least I didn't notice but had to be returned for another reason.

So Im just wondering if this is the way its supposed to be or if all my phones have been defective? I can live with it if its normal I guess, but if not I need to know so I can return it for the last time. Verizon won't let me exchange again.

Advertisement

2. BubbaNexus

BubbaNexus Android Enthusiast
    None

Nov 13, 2011
    seriously? :eek:

psycho_maniac likes this.
  3. droblyer

None

Aug 19, 2010
    very serious, so how bout yours? And no Im not colorblind my wife can see it too lol.

4. sperho

sperho Android Enthusiast
    None

Dec 2, 2011
    Eastern TN
    When you pull the menu bar down, the OS puts a partially transparent overlay over the active screen and yes, it does change the color tone of the keys on my phone to a purpleish color. I could not care less, really.

5. sean76

sean76 Android Expert
    None

May 5, 2010
    THE BOSS
    NYC
    No purple here...

6. KingDillinger

KingDillinger Newbie
    None

Dec 19, 2011
    NJ
    okay so i see what you mean but what are you expecting to see? All black or shaded...?

One thing i noticed when the notification menu overlayed on the settings menu was that when i have the brightness mid to all up you can see shaded rows. Purple than gray/black than purple etc. ...

One odd thing i notice was when brightness is up the row that is about one inch up appears to blink.

Imo its a bug in the ui not the hardware.

droblyer likes this.
  7. droblyer

None

Aug 19, 2010
    What I expect to see is a darker image of the original image, not one with a purple overlay over it. Try simply opening the keyboard, then adjusting the brightness to different levels. When brightness is down it makes my keyboard keys purple. Again your ONLY going to notice this in a dark room. Changing brightness should not change the color tone, should only make it brighter or darker.

8. KingDillinger

KingDillinger Newbie
    None

Dec 19, 2011
    NJ
    Is your concern that there is a hardware problem or ui?
    Im able to replicate both scenaios. I still believe its a ui thing and not hardware. In other words theres no need to return your device.
    Consider opening up a usability enhancement issue with google.

Gman9831 and droblyer like this.
  9. BlueBiker

BlueBiker Android Expert
    None

Jan 16, 2010
    Male
    New England
    OP, I must respectfully submit that it's totally unreasonable to force customer service to provide so many replacements for such a minor imperfection. VZW should have cut you off after three units, which they now cannot sell as new. You're costing them $$$, and they've already gone way beyond what good service calls for.

The Nexus is not the phone for you. Maybe no phone is, because they all have flaws, most wayyyy worse than the one described. Either live with it or give the phone back, but please don't ask them for another Nexus.

Offense not intended, but a reality check certainly is.

vanack, j c m, northernale1 and 2 others like this.
  10. droblyer

None

Aug 19, 2010
    Yes Im concerned its hardware issue simply because my original phone was not like this. Also holding my phones side by side with the display models at the stores with brightness set the same there are differences in color, though I haven't been able to find another besides my original that wasn't somewhat purple.

11. Crayon

Crayon Member
    None

Oct 18, 2011
    Then why'd you return the first one?

This is pathetic. Get another phone or stop complaining.

12. droblyer

None

Aug 19, 2010
    What might be a minor imperfection to you certainly isn't to me. For one of the most expensive phones in the store it should be perfect hardware wise anyway, software will get ironed out eventually. Also I didn't force them to do anything they are the ones giving the 14 trial period. And honestly Im not worried about costing verizon a few buck as I've got 4 lines and home phone service through them so I think they should try to please the customer, in this case me. Anyway back to the topic....

13. droblyer

None

Aug 19, 2010
    Had you read the first post the first one had a different unrelated problem. Nobody is complaining here, was just asking if everyone elses was the same. Thanks for the helpful post though.

14. Mr. Orange 645

Mr. Orange 645 Android Enthusiast
    None

Oct 6, 2010
    SW Missouri
    I see what you're talking about but it is definitely software not hardware causing the issue. Exchange as many as you want and they will all have it. I know its software because one of the purplish bands on mine flickered purplish then back to grey. Certaonly doesn't affect usability, especially since i don't view the settings menu through the pulldown shade.

15. pragmatous

pragmatous Android Enthusiast
    None

Apr 1, 2010
    When I saw the title I thought it was about the banding issue that I have.

I would say you're issue is not an issue.

16. nkd

nkd Android Enthusiast
    None

Feb 12, 2011
    WOW this is just insane. 5 phones for this, not an issue, why the heck would you care what the keyboard looks like when you pull down the notification menu. Seriously? do you actually watch a movie with notification menu down? or type text with it down. This is just truly insane, lol.

jimmypop13 likes this.
  17. droblyer

None

Aug 19, 2010
    With the noftication shade down is not the only time things are purple. I was just using that as an example because it is the most obvious. If you turn brightness down, the keyboard is purple, notifications in the notification bar are purple, the address bar in browser are purple, the bar at the top of the market page are purple, the bar at the top of the messaging app is purple and so on.

18. Dubbin1

Dubbin1 Android Expert
    None

Aug 5, 2010
    N/W Ohio
    The people at Verizon are not the only ones that thinks you're crazy ;)

19. droblyer

None

Aug 19, 2010
    Guys I simply wanted to know if this was common or not. I know they are all not like this because I had one that wasn't. Now I know it is common because several have replicated my results and that was all I wanted to know.

Mods can close this now or let the flaming continue, I got the info I needed to make my decision to return or not. Thanks all

20. MelissaM

MelissaM Newbie
    None

Jul 30, 2010
    Sales
    Los Angeles

You're an idiot.

northernale1 and tdub88 like this.
  21. pragmatous

None

Apr 1, 2010
    I'm not trying to be mean but have you thought that maybe you are slightly color blind? Again I'm not trying to be mean at all and I'm quite serious.

I looked it up and I don't think you do so I'm not sure how you're seeing purple.

Here's a test tho that seems helpful maybe?
    Color Blindness Tests and Facts

22. pragmatous

None

Apr 1, 2010
    I just don't see purple. I tried really hard to duplicate it but it's not purple.

droblyer likes this.
  23. fillyo

fillyo Well-Known Member
    None

Aug 26, 2010
    What the hell do you want it to be, pitch black? You are a lunatic, who they hell even focuses on this, it's a phone. I actually own stock in Verizon, please go to another carrier.

24. tdub88

tdub88 Android Enthusiast
    None

Jan 26, 2010
    Inland Northwest
    Think the people at VZW are correct. Here's what I would tell you, "Quit going in to dark rooms w/ the brightness turned down to look for purple tints and turn the lights on before you pull the notification bar down." See? It's an easy fix. Go back and read what you wrote here. Slowly.

It's asinine..................Oh, no offense. If you look for something hard enough, you're bound to find it.

cbd likes this.
  25. jimmypop13

jimmypop13 Well-Known Member
    None

Oct 18, 2011
    Spring, TX
Tags: