• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Help SOLVED!!! I need help, please help me. im desperate

Aidanxklc

Jul 16, 2019
So a few days ago i rooted my phone and i decided to get lineage OS. So i didnt really like it so i tried to get back to stock. I tried flashing my stock firmare, but that didnt help. i can only access download mode (not TWRP) and if i try and exit out of download mode i am greeted with an error saying that i nned to go to smart switch mobile for pc and emergency recover. tried that and it says that my device cannot be reconized. i really need help getting back to stock. thank you very much

So a few days ago i rooted my phone and i decided to get lineage OS. So i didnt really like it so i tried to get back to stock. I tried flashing my stock firmare, but that didnt help. i can only access download mode (not TWRP) and if i try and exit out of download mode i am greeted with an error saying that i nned to go to smart switch mobile for pc and emergency recover. tried that and it says that my device cannot be reconized. i really need help getting back to stock. thank you very much
oh and i cant even turn my phone off

Upvote 0
okay so i do have the drivers and i need the security patch?
and could you tell me step by step on what to do? thank you very much for saving my ass
I'm not even close to being familiar with doing this in Samsung devices, you'd need an expert in that region (which I am not) for a more thorough step-by-step guide.
You don't install the security patch itself.. You need the firmware identical to (or newer) the OS you currently have atm because flashing an older version can (and usually DOES) brick the device. Most the info you'll use to identify and search for your firmware will be located somewhere in Settings-AboutPhone. Look for Model numbers and possibly Build numbers.. Match them to the firmware you're searching for. Since you can't find it due to lack of access, get the absolute newest firmware available for your model number. Yes, different carriers add extra letters to the model number, like Verizon Wireless has a "v" and Sprint usially has a "p" at the end

• Make sure your Samsung drivers and ODIN.exe is installed to your PC.
  • Make sure you have that firmware for your specific device I had mentioned..
  • Put your device in some kind of recovery mode, XDA forums has lots of info regarding that mode and better walkthroughs than I can provide, currently.
  • Start ODIN program, connect phone, drag and drop the Firmware .zip.. Will take a bit to do because your device holds a ton of memory and partition info, takes awhile to process multiple gigs of data into a small device.. Hope that helps!

Reactions: ocnbrze
Upvote 0
I'm not even close to being familiar with doing this in Samsung devices, you'd need an expert in that region (which I am not) for a more thorough step-by-step guide.
You don't install the security patch itself.. You need the firmware identical to (or newer) the OS you currently have atm because flashing an older version can (and usually DOES) brick the device. Most the info you'll use to identify and search for your firmware will be located somewhere in Settings-AboutPhone. Look for Model numbers and possibly Build numbers.. Match them to the firmware you're searching for. Since you can't find it due to lack of access, get the absolute newest firmware available for your model number. Yes, different carriers add extra letters to the model number, like Verizon Wireless has a "v" and Sprint usially has a "p" at the end

• Make sure your Samsung drivers and ODIN.exe is installed to your PC.
  • Make sure you have that firmware for your specific device I had mentioned..
  • Put your device in some kind of recovery mode, XDA forums has lots of info regarding that mode and better walkthroughs than I can provide, currently.
  • Start ODIN program, connect phone, drag and drop the Firmware .zip.. Will take a bit to do because your device holds a ton of memory and partition info, takes awhile to process multiple gigs of data into a small device.. Hope that helps!
thats what ive done but i will try again

Upvote 0
Your profile indicates your carrier is Koodo, is that still valid? Assuming it is, go here and download the ROM you need:
https://updato.com/firmware-archive-select-model/?q=galaxy+a5&exact=1&r=KDO&v=&rpp=100
Just to emphasize, it's important to select the correct, matching ROM for you specific model and carrier. ROMs are not interchangeable. If do flash the wrong one, if you're lucky you just soft-brick your device and you have to re-flash (which sounds like what's going on currently). Also, keep in mind that if you had TWRP installed, when you flash a stock ROM that will also replace any custom Recovery with a stock one so you'll need to go through the whole process of rooting again later, after you get your phone restored to working condition again. This just involves getting a valid, stock ROM to get your phone running again.
Go here for detailed instructions. Note you don't need to futz with the driver as when you installed the Smart Switch utility that included the latest Samsung driver.
https://updato.com/how-to/how-to-install-an-official-samsung-stock-firmware-using-odin/

Upvote 0
Your profile indicates your carrier is Koodo, is that still valid? Assuming it is, go here and download the ROM you need:
https://updato.com/firmware-archive-select-model/?q=galaxy+a5&exact=1&r=KDO&v=&rpp=100
Just to emphasize, it's important to select the correct, matching ROM for you specific model and carrier. ROMs are not interchangeable. If do flash the wrong one, if you're lucky you just soft-brick your device and you have to re-flash (which sounds like what's going on currently). Also, keep in mind that if you had TWRP installed, when you flash a stock ROM that will also replace any custom Recovery with a stock one so you'll need to go through the whole process of rooting again later, after you get your phone restored to working condition again. This just involves getting a valid, stock ROM to get your phone running again.
Go here for detailed instructions. Note you don't need to futz with the driver as when you installed the Smart Switch utility that included the latest Samsung driver.
https://updato.com/how-to/how-to-install-an-official-samsung-stock-firmware-using-odin/
Thank you soooo much for helping here, Samsung's a bit outta my territory, Lol.

Upvote 0
thank you so so so much
ill see if it works, lets just hope its soft bricked and not hard bricked cause i would probably kill myself (jk)

Upvote 0
holy shit the downloads take so long im only getting like 58 kb/s

Upvote 0
Unfortunately a lot of the curated ROM download sites are now pay-to-play -- they intentionally restrict the bandwidth of their download servers for free users, pay either a one-time fee or a subscription fee to get unfettered downloads. It's a matter where these types of sites generally provide stock ROMs that are valid and verified,or conversely there a plenty of free independent sites that have no such restrictions on downloads, the issue being you must be vigilant to check that the ROM/download hasn't been altered (i.e. get the ROM's MD5 hash from an alternate, verified source and confirm your download matches). It's up to you how to approach this. The fees typically aren't very much for the pay-up sites so there is that. But when you're downloading a ROM from some anonymous source, even though the likelihood the ROM has been altered maliciously is really small it's still a possibility.

Reactions: ocnbrze
Upvote 0
so let this be a great learning lesson. one of the main functions of a custom recovery TWRP is to make a nandroid backup. nandroid backups are like a save point in a video game. you always want to have a nandroid backup before you start messing around with your phone. as long as you can get to twrp you canjust go back and flash a nandroid backup to recover your phone.

so once you flash the firmware and get twrp back, be sure to do a nandroid backup.

Reactions: Dannydet
Upvote 0
so let this be a great learning lesson. one of the main functions of a custom recovery TWRP is to make a nandroid backup. nandroid backups are like a save point in a video game. you always want to have a nandroid backup before you start messing around with your phone. as long as you can get to twrp you canjust go back and flash a nandroid backup to recover your phone.

so once you flash the firmware and get twrp back, be sure to do a nandroid backup.
so do you know if im bricked?

Upvote 0
did you flash the firmware? it should work. and curious can you get to twrp? you should be able to.
so basically all i did was, root, get lineage, flash stock, probably wasnt the proper stock, now odin doesnt work and i get an error saying i need to make a emergency recovery at smart switch. am i scwred? i can access download mode btw

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones