1. Download our Official Android App: Forums for Android!

Root I need help with my evo, Please!!

Discussion in 'Android Devices' started by imromantic41, Feb 13, 2011.

1. imromantic41

imromantic41 Lurker
    None

Feb 13, 2011
    hey folks,
    im new to this whole rooting thing. i just rooted my evo about a month ago. it is fully rooted, i also have the wifi tether on it. Ive been watching videos on youtube about mikfroyo 4.4. I would like to put it onto my phone, but dont know how. i downloaded the software onto my computer, i extracted it, i plugged in my phone, i put it on disk drive, i dragged all of the extracted folders onto my sd card. (or so i thought). I go back to the youtube video and do everything the video shows, but when i go to the part of zip from sd card mikfroyo isnt there. or is it using a different name, once on the sd card? if so what would it be? i know ive got to be doing something wrong, can anyone help me, please? many great thanks in advance!!

Also, if you could please tell me what to do step by step, cause like i said im a newbie, lol. and are there more place to watch how to videos on the evo, other than youtube, htcevohacks, ehow? please let me know, thanks a million again!!

Advertisement

2. knightwolf123

knightwolf123 Member
    None

Jun 29, 2010
    Watch more youtube. I found how to use unrevoke, how to get myns rom, how to add on, how to change kernel, and now I have everything I wanted and it was all easy. As long as you like tinkering with things and understand how things work. Just look for a better video on what you are trying to do. Don't give up. The payoff is worth it.

3. Xtremedays

Xtremedays Android Expert
    None

Apr 5, 2010
    Male
    Auto Technician(for now)
    First, if you haven't read the Rooting for Dummies, I would start there. It has a huge amount of info on this and other things that you can do now that you are rooted.
    That being said, you don't need to unzip the file. Place the file on the root of your SD card(top level not in a folder). Reboot to recover. wipe data/davlik-cache. install zip from sd card. select the zip file. when done, reboot.

4. frenchy714

frenchy714 Android Expert
    None

Nov 11, 2010
    Male
    East Tawas, MI
    First of all, welcome to the forum :). Second of all, you NEVER extract a flashable zip. You place the zip of the ROM (Mik's in this case) in the root directory of your sd card (right on top, not in any folders), reboot in to recovery, wipe data/cache/dalvik-cache, then select, "choose zip from sd card", find the ROM you'd like to flash, then flash.

I recommend reading this before doing anything else, it's a great read and it'll break everything down step by step for you, plus give you a better understand of what you're doing and why you're doing it. Check out the "After Rooting" section of the sticky, it has a whole section dedicated to flashing ROM's, kernels, etc.

ROOTING for Dummies + Extras

EDIT: Xtremedays beat me to it!

5. imromantic41

imromantic41 Lurker
    None

Feb 13, 2011
    thank you everyone for all your help.

Tags: