• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Root I need knowledge.

silverxbv2

May 4, 2010
What can we remove or install from our phones directly without having to be plugged in to computer? I know I've seen terminal emulator somewhere, but is that the same effect as running command prompt on a pc? It's odd to me that this can't all be done right on the phone. Or can it? I know a lot of the theme and app installs can be downloaded to the phone and flashed in recovery, but what else?

The problem with semi unlocked nand is that you can't write to /system while up and booted. You'd need to be in recovery. You can have programs queue up commands to run in recovery. Rom Manager by koush will do a couple preset commands (Nandroid backup, wipe cache and data, then run a rom installer) straight from the app when you're up and booted. But that still is recovery only.

You can mess around in /data ask you want, but it's not necessarily the most productive with what you probably want to do.

From my Incredible Drooooiiiiiid.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones