• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Root I need some hand-holding please!

ecaryn

Lurker
Jul 5, 2011
Hello all,

I am very, very new to all of this, only had my Ascend a couple of weeks now, and this is my first Android device. I have literally spent days reading around the forum here as well as the internet trying to absorb as much knowledge as I can. And I must admit I am getting a little confused and overwhelmed here - especially with all the acronym usage.

So...what I am trying to do: I want to customize and speed up my Ascend. If I am associating ROM correctly as an Operating System, like Windows for the computer, then I would like to install a new ROM, etc.

What I have already done: I have rooted my phone using Gingerbreak (running Android 2.2). Downloaded Titanium Backup and Root Explorer, removed all of the OEM junk, except MetroWeb, Mail@Metro and MetroAppstore - on the advice of leaving those. I also have CPU Master but learned I cant speed up the processor without a new ROM. I have moved pretty much everything I can to my SD card as well.

What I need help with: Pretty much everything else. I have read through the stickies here (and in The Everything Root section) and have a pretty good idea, but am totally overwhelmed by the choices and, again, alot of the acronyms being used. Which ROM (version) is best for me to start with? The most stable, that has working camera and MMS? And, could you please hold my hand and walk me through what procedures to follow? Not so much the step by step of installing the ROM, I see that on the stickies, but more so, which one to choose, what accompanying programs (specifically, and where I can get them) I need to download to install it, make a back up of what and where exactly, etc..

I know thats alot of work, and I appreciate whomever is willing to help me out. Thanks in advance! :eek:

If you want a stable ROM to try out, you should try Icarus first. It was my first ROM and I loved it. It saved me from the insanity of 2.1 sluggishness. If you like Icarus, or if you don't you can try out CM7 or CM6. I tried out CM7 and even though I didn't stick with it, it was still a pretty awesome ROM, stylish too. I don't know too much else about the accompanying programs and all that other stuff. But, I say Icarus is the beginners route to go.

Upvote 0
Hello all,

I am very, very new to all of this, only had my Ascend a couple of weeks now, and this is my first Android device. I have literally spent days reading around the forum here as well as the internet trying to absorb as much knowledge as I can. And I must admit I am getting a little confused and overwhelmed here - especially with all the acronym usage.

So...what I am trying to do: I want to customize and speed up my Ascend. If I am associating ROM correctly as an Operating System, like Windows for the computer, then I would like to install a new ROM, etc.

What I have already done: I have rooted my phone using Gingerbreak (running Android 2.2). Downloaded Titanium Backup and Root Explorer, removed all of the OEM junk, except MetroWeb, Mail@Metro and MetroAppstore - on the advice of leaving those. I also have CPU Master but learned I cant speed up the processor without a new ROM. I have moved pretty much everything I can to my SD card as well.

What I need help with: Pretty much everything else. I have read through the stickies here (and in The Everything Root section) and have a pretty good idea, but am totally overwhelmed by the choices and, again, alot of the acronyms being used. Which ROM (version) is best for me to start with? The most stable, that has working camera and MMS? And, could you please hold my hand and walk me through what procedures to follow? Not so much the step by step of installing the ROM, I see that on the stickies, but more so, which one to choose, what accompanying programs (specifically, and where I can get them) I need to download to install it, make a back up of what and where exactly, etc..

I know thats alot of work, and I appreciate whomever is willing to help me out. Thanks in advance! :eek:
You are already on 2.2, so Icarus would be a step backwards as it its a cleaned up stock 2.1. You could try PlayfulMod, its like Icarus but based on stock 2.2. But since you said you want to overclock, you need CM6 or CM7. Most would probably say just go with CM7 since its the most advanced, but some people (and some Ascends) still prefer CM6. It's really just a personal preference. To find the files you need to download, look in the CM6/7 threads, the ultimate ascend customization guide, or Nuttmeg's signature. Welcome to the forums, and happy flashing!

Reactions: nuttmeg
Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones